Pages: | 1 | 2 |
irunformeandforuinbetterhope
Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 10/25/2005 6:41PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Are the so-called Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and the Nike Oregon Project really worth the effor, time, and money? How many "real" world class runners have they produced. And when I mean world class runners I'm talking about sub 2:10 marathoners, sub 28 10k etc. I think its a sham and gives those runners an excuse not to contribute to society in better ways besides thinking they will one day win gold at the olympics or whatever. Also, take Bob Kempainen for example, he didn't live like a monk in the woods hoping to get faster. He attended medical school, ran 2:08.47, ran in 2 olympic games and is now giving back to society as a medical doctor.
iluvsex&marathons
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 10/25/2005 6:48PM - in reply to irunformeandforuinbetterhope Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, they are worthless. Give the money to the poor.
poppycock
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 10/25/2005 6:49PM - in reply to irunformeandforuinbetterhope Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How are the runner's in America going to get better, sir? Until you can solve this conundrum, you might want to shut your yapper and worry about contributing to society, other than bringing up a topic that has been brought up at least 10 times in the last few months. It's getting old.
albuquerque
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 10/25/2005 6:52PM - in reply to poppycock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Let's talk about Teddy Mitchell instead. He's so cool.
medical student saves u
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 10/25/2005 6:57PM - in reply to poppycock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

poppycock wrote:

How are the runner's in America going to get better, sir? Until you can solve this conundrum, you might want to shut your yapper and worry about contributing to society, other than bringing up a topic that has been brought up at least 10 times in the last few months. It's getting old.


I'm in medical school and volunteer with doctors without borders usa branch...You tell me what I'm doing wrong.
grille master
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 10/25/2005 7:38PM - in reply to irunformeandforuinbetterhope Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
if you ended up running 2:12 i think you'd think it was worth it.
RobC
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 10/26/2005 8:17AM - in reply to irunformeandforuinbetterhope Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Dumbest thread ever.
about time
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 10/26/2005 9:47AM - in reply to irunformeandforuinbetterhope Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
it is about time somebody brought up an original and completely worthwhile topic. Bashing Hansons...how original (SARCASM)

threads like this make me miss the hotness and powerpoint threads.
jurek responds...
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 10/26/2005 3:43PM - in reply to about time Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Leave the Hanson's alone...Brooks give them alot of money to think they are distance runners unlike me.
cgaites
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 10/26/2005 3:50PM - in reply to irunformeandforuinbetterhope Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
More importantly, why are people constantly trying to justify there pointless office jobs as "contributing something to society" when they could be out training hard and running 2:13 marathons consequently inspiring young people to go dedicate themselves to distance running rather than doing drugs or joining a gang?
halo
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 10/26/2005 4:21PM - in reply to cgaites Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
who ever said their office jobs are contributing to society, i dont think anyone has ever said that
cgaites
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 10/26/2005 4:35PM - in reply to halo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
From the original poster:

"I think its a sham and gives those runners an excuse not to contribute to society in better ways besides thinking they will one day win gold at the olympics or whatever."


I infer from this statement that the poster implies that the members of Hansons or NOP should give up running and "get a real job" so to speak. This is a common sentiment on threads like this and invariably this type of sentiment comes from some bitter cubicle dweller upset about how there life turned out. No person who was really doing something they are passionate about (be they doctors, teachers, athletes, engineers, composers, etc...) would express this sentiment as they would realize that there are many ways in which someone can contribute to society by doing what they love. Only people who feel there life has no meaning feel the need to claim others lives are worthless as well.
agreed
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 10/26/2005 5:52PM - in reply to cgaites Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

cgaites wrote:

From the original poster:

"I think its a sham and gives those runners an excuse not to contribute to society in better ways besides thinking they will one day win gold at the olympics or whatever."


I infer from this statement that the poster implies that the members of Hansons or NOP should give up running and "get a real job" so to speak. This is a common sentiment on threads like this and invariably this type of sentiment comes from some bitter cubicle dweller upset about how there life turned out. No person who was really doing something they are passionate about (be they doctors, teachers, athletes, engineers, composers, etc...) would express this sentiment as they would realize that there are many ways in which someone can contribute to society by doing what they love. Only people who feel there life has no meaning feel the need to claim others lives are worthless as well.



you could argue that they're doing a lot as far as contributing to society. inspiring others to run and be active is pretty important. there aren't too many forces helping to convince people that exercise is an important part of life. in the state of fat america, i think it's good for people to see.
e chante
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 11/27/2008 4:49PM - in reply to agreed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i thinks it a valuable discussion to have.

eh, why not.
f
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 11/27/2008 5:05PM - in reply to e chante Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Living your life so that you're happy > Caring about the money you make contributing to society.
Westside
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 11/27/2008 5:24PM - in reply to f Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I hate to tell you but Kara and Adam Goucher, Matt Tegenkamp, and Chris Solinksky are now part of the Oregon track club (ie Nike project). None of them are world class.
LOGIC
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 11/27/2008 5:32PM - in reply to irunformeandforuinbetterhope Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
F*ck this! Can somebody tell me why homosexuality is so much more acceptable than polygamy in American culture?
Reliant Aries
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 11/27/2008 6:01PM - in reply to irunformeandforuinbetterhope Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Those who control the purse-strings (i.e. definitely not you!) get to decide whether or not they are really worth it. Doctors contribute to corporate medicine, not society.

irunformeandforuinbetterhope wrote:

Are the so-called Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and the Nike Oregon Project really worth the effor, time, and money? How many "real" world class runners have they produced. And when I mean world class runners I'm talking about sub 2:10 marathoners, sub 28 10k etc. I think its a sham and gives those runners an excuse not to contribute to society in better ways besides thinking they will one day win gold at the olympics or whatever. Also, take Bob Kempainen for example, he didn't live like a monk in the woods hoping to get faster. He attended medical school, ran 2:08.47, ran in 2 olympic games and is now giving back to society as a medical doctor.
marshill
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 11/27/2008 6:57PM - in reply to cgaites Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
2:13 is worthless.
ohio_miler
RE: Brooks Hanson's Distance Project and Nike Oregon Project are they really worth it? 11/28/2008 12:17AM - in reply to marshill Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Kara Goucher isn't world class... I seem to recall a bronze in the 10k at 2007 worlds.

You must not like girls if you are hating on Kara Goucher.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |