Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Not Elite
Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/20/2005 9:07PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Those seem to be the most consumed in the sport, as well. Is it annoying to anyone else besides me?
ex-15min5kguy
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/20/2005 9:15PM - in reply to Not Elite Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Actually, most of the Elite are self-confident and happy enough to not be annoyed or frazzled by 15 minute guys... so I wouldn't know.
fag
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/20/2005 9:20PM - in reply to Not Elite Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i hate all you people who just because you run a 14 minute minute 5k think your better than everyone else

i run an 18.15 5k, and im damn proud of it, got me a varsity letter

as a matter of fact, compared to about 99 percent of the world, im fast, i think im fast, and im not gonna think otherwise because your an asshole

damn those 15 minute 5k runners, they suck, wow, 4.50 miles for 3.1 miles, again 99 percent of the world cant run under 5 minutes for 1 mile

some, emphasize 'some' because not all of the fast people on site but most are total stuck up assholes
14:45 College Dude
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/20/2005 9:22PM - in reply to fag Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm pseudo-elite.

And I love how my hair looks when I run.
15 minute 5k dude
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/20/2005 9:23PM - in reply to Not Elite Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Have you run quicker than 15 minutes? If you are a 13 minute guy you probably can't relate because you have loads more talent, and if you're a 17 minute guy you probably aren't training as hard as most guys running 15 flat. I don't think most 15 minute runners think they're "elite," unless they're women--but it is a time that will win the vast majority of road races.

I think ~15 minute runners are often "consumed" as you put it with the sport because they have competed at a reasonable level and they can empathasize with the elites--nerves at the line, all the doubts running through your mind, trying to kick down your old rival in that final 100m. The 19 minute runners, sorry to say this, but just can't appreciate that--they're out there trying to stay healthy and run PR's, they're not so much COMPETING against others--NOTHING wrong with that. And the 13 minute guys are too busy working their butts off to care what is going on with the message boards.
Not Elite
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/20/2005 9:28PM - in reply to 15 minute 5k dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here's the truth:

19 min. guys don't know this board exists.

17 min. guys envy the thought of conversing with 13 min. on this board?

15 min. guys think they're 13 min. guys.

13 min. guys look on this board for their name.

12 min. guys don't speak english. (except one from the outback)
15 minute 5k dude
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/20/2005 9:29PM - in reply to 15 minute 5k dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I didn't mean that to come across as, "if you are running faster than me it's because you're more talented, but if you're running slower it's because you're not training hard enough."

Some people can run 14.30 without really dedicating themselves, however some of the hardest working guys I know have never run under 16. 15 minutes is a time that takes a combination of talent and hard work, but you're right in the real world it means nothing.
Does It Matter?
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 1/1/2005 1:01AM - in reply to Not Elite Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not Elite you've done an excellent job of summing up the catagories here -- it was truthful yet it still made me laugh out loud. (No I'm not looking to get a date with you.)

I think "elitism" is significantly influenced by those who don't run. I was a pathetic barely-break-16 5ker (especially given how seriously I took my running.) But when I came to my senses and realized I sucked and would always suck (again in light of how seriously I took the endeavor) I became a professor and shifted my focus else where. But when working with other professors they talked of me as being an elite runner. Believe me I tried to dispell that ridiculous notion but they took it as false modesty. I, of course, wanted to say, "what in the f*** are you talking about?" but couldn't insult them in that setting in that way. I think many people just lump 13 minutes and 16 minutes together because in the rest of our lives it really is pretty close time-wise. e.g. if it takes me 16 minutes to get to work that isn't significantly different from it taking me 13 minutes. In the current era of "everybody gets a ribbon for finishing" at road races it makes it tough for even runners to distinguish between the two.
mwwwin
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/20/2005 11:46PM - in reply to Does It Matter? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I guess someone hit a sore spot huh?...ok...take another couple of hours and come-up with some lame ass response to your slowness...come on...you can do it...
Here I am
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/21/2005 12:50AM - in reply to Not Elite Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
>

Close but no cigar.

21 min and yup, reading this board, sorry to burst your non elite bubble :-)
classic
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/21/2005 1:45AM - in reply to Not Elite Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Not Elite wrote:

Here's the truth:

19 min. guys don't know this board exists.

17 min. guys envy the thought of conversing with 13 min. on this board?

15 min. guys think they're 13 min. guys.

13 min. guys look on this board for their name.

12 min. guys don't speak english. (except one from the outback)

classic
junior
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/21/2005 2:03AM - in reply to Not Elite Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think you are a twit. For curiosity sake, what have you run for 5k? I can guarentee that I have run a lot quicker than you have and i have the utmost respect for people running 15,16,17,18+ mins. You know why? because they have a passion, a desire and the will to run, an element that is forsaken by many "elites" . Too many people forget why they began to run in the first place, forget the fun they had when they were kids. The guys who are running the times u term "not elite"...they run because they love it, they arent looking for the kit deal, the money or the fame. You should respect these guys, I dont hear Kenny B dissin u....
my Dad can beat up your Dad!
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/21/2005 5:50AM - in reply to Not Elite Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You forgot the part where the 19,17 and 15 minute 5k'ers feel they have a God-given right to anonymously blast the 13:30 guys for not being 12:30 guys.
murunner
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/21/2005 5:55AM - in reply to junior Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
it is ok for a 15, 16, 17, whatever minute 5k person to think they are elite. you know why? because at some level they are. elite is just a relative term like many others. somebody running at a local level running 15 min 5k's will win almost every race they enter. does that mean they are elite in a regional (multi state area), national, or world class arena? obviously not just at 15 min for a male. if the person acts as if they are elite on a much larger scale, then maybe they are just a dick. why do you care so much? maybe their life sucks otherwise and thinking they are elite gets them through life. by the way this is aimed at all the people that think they suck by running 17 or however slow/fast 5k. If you are going to go through life just thinking you suck, why go through it.
OZ BEQ
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/21/2005 5:56AM - in reply to ex-15min5kguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What area of the country do you train?
cheeesa 182
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/21/2005 7:15AM - in reply to OZ BEQ Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
IP shows he's from Texas or the S.W.
Not Elite
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/21/2005 10:24AM - in reply to junior Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm faster than you think.
Usher
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/21/2005 10:37AM - in reply to 15 minute 5k dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

15 minute 5k dude wrote:

I think ~15 minute runners are often "consumed" as you put it with the sport because they have competed at a reasonable level and they can empathasize with the elites--nerves at the line, all the doubts running through your mind, trying to kick down your old rival in that final 100m. The 19 minute runners, sorry to say this, but just can't appreciate that--they're out there trying to stay healthy and run PR's, they're not so much COMPETING against others--

At age 51, I run in the 20-21 min range, but I still get the nerves at the line and all of the other things too. I also coach HS runners, and there are a lot more 19 min runners like you than you think that were not blessed with your talent.
junior
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 8/21/2005 11:05AM - in reply to Not Elite Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I bet not, otherwise you would not feel the need to knock others.
My Drunk Dad Got His Ass Beat!
RE: Why do 15 minute 5k Guys think they're elite? 1/1/2005 1:01AM - in reply to my Dad can beat up your Dad! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

my Dad can beat up your Dad! wrote:

You forgot the part where the 19,17 and 15 minute 5k'ers feel they have a God-given right to anonymously blast the 13:30 guys for not being 12:30 guys.

They do. Anonymity is the main reason this board exists in its present useless form. If I could hunt down every one of those slow, jealous motherf***ers ripping the top guys and line them up in a row, I would take them all on at once and knock their chattering teeth out of their rocklike heads.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |