5'7 133lbs 23yo "stud" ex D3 runner (70mpw)
Started in 4:33/15:40/25:48xc/33:12 shape, ran a 2:48 marathon to qualify (fairly easy and for the win, second ran 2:55. Ran 86-82). Month off, started training again. All self-coached. Ran a 16:47 all out for a 4th of July race on the first week back (48mi week) to get an idea of fitness.
Turkey Trot Cycle
- 1 workout a week, 1 moderate long run a week, 3 big workouts starting from the first 68 mile week, every other week.
- 4 x CV K w/ 200m jog, 6 x 600 @ 5K w/ 600m jog (3:15, 3:16, 3:15, 3:15, 1:50, 1:50, 1:53, 1:50, 1:49, 1:50)
- 3 x 8 x 400 w/ 60s rest and 3' rest - avg. 73.4
- Mile repeats with 400m jog - 5:30, 5:25, 5:20, 5:16, 5:00, (800 jog) 4:57
58 mile week w/ Turkey Trot in 15:27 on a flat course. 1 week "down" before starting marathon training - 4-7 mile trail runs very very easy
- employed mix of Canova and Tinman principles
- 1 workout, 1 light fartlek, 1 easy long run a week
- three 2h35m runs to make the duration manageable. averaged 7:20, kept them very easy. 2h runs every other week averaging 6:50/mi
- first 81 mile week featured a 26.2 mile training run @ 7:10 pace. also included a workout of 3 x 20mins @ 5:33avg with 0.5mi jog recovery
- second 81 mile week included a classic, 10 miles @ 6:55, 10 miles @ 5:47, 2 mile cooldown. Also 10 x 800 @ 2:27 with 400m jog (roughly 2:10)
- last "hard" workout was a repeat of the 4xCV K 6x600 workout from the previous cycle (ran similar times), raced a mile that weekend in 4:29 (flat and straight) with a "long run" fartlek cooldown (last 70 mile week)
- last "long" run in the 65 mile week, 15mi @ 6:20 with HR no higher than 150, just aiming for steady turnover. Included a 4 x 5 mins @ 5:20 with 5 mins at 6:00 fartlek.
This week was simple, Tuesday workout was 8K total alternating 3:28 and 4:14, ending with 1 extra K at 3:15.
It is my first boston marathon, so I'm planning to go out conservatively at 2:35 pace (5:54/mi) but I'll admit my actual goal is 2:30 (5:43/mi). Weather makes me think 2:35 is more realistic even with my fitness, but knowing myself if I see a group at 2:30 I'll latch on. What are my odds? Hopefully I've provided enough training information for some detailed responses. Any insight for later cycles would be appreciated as well.