To be honest the guy's right. This is pretty much a trainwreck to me; I can't seem to look away. Still, I've actually learned a few things reading flattard and anti-flattard comments on YouTube, like the Eotvos Effect -- small but measurable changes in the weight of something depending whether it's moving with or against the earth's rotation, consistent with the predictions you'd make from the assumptions that the earth is approximately spherical, of radius approximately 6400km (can't be bothered to look up more exact numbers) and rotating at approximately 15 degrees per hour.
This simultaneously debunks two of their talking points: "the earth has never been proven to rotate" (based on misrepresenting the Michaelson-Morley experiment) and "if the earth is spinning 1000 miles per hour, why aren't we thrown off?" (by showing what the actual effect of that rotation is -- measurable but small compared to the effect of gravity.)
Still, there are a lot better things to do with my time. But hey, I'm not perfect.
I agree with this guy.
will repeat until thread dies wrote:
Here's what you people are doing by replying to this thread:
1. Flat Earth/Moon Hoax Troll trolls for people that will argue with him, thinking he is serious about his claims (he is good, and a lot of you are stupid, so you WILL go to great lengths to "prove" him wrong).
2. Flat Earth/Moon Hoax Troll delights in their efforts and discounts them with on-the-ready cut-and paste text, videos, diagrams, etc. refuting their claim. Both trolls works particularly well because there is lots of ready-made garbage material like this to aid in the troll.
3. This enrages/frustrates easily-trolled people (which is the goal of trolling). They argue with Flat Earth/Moon Hoax Troll. He insists he is "not a troll, you people are sheep who believe what the government tells you, and here's some proof Earth is flat/no one landed on the moon." Easily-trolled people scour the internet for counter-proof that the Earth is round/we never landed on the moon (both of which Flat Earth/Moon Hoax Troll knows, but that is beside the point). This is exactly what Flat Earth/Moon Hoax Troll wants you to do. He knows the Earth is round. He knows we went to the moon. You are being stupid. (repeat step 2).
4. Although some understand it as a troll, many do not and can't resist, as he seems to be good at the troll, coupled with the fact that many people are apparently stupid and don't see it as what it is: a never ending, never resolved argument that is the very essence of a troll.
5. Threads disappear for a few months. Flat Earth/Moon Hoax Troll resurrects them, often by pretending to be someone who wants to argue with Flat Earth/Moon Hoax Troll. (repeat step 1).
Addendum: Although I have pointed out what this thread is all about in plain English, Flat Earth/Moon Hoax Troll will still, incredibly, be able to bury the post and continue making stupid people engage in the never-ending arguments (see above posts).