2014 Payton Jordan Invitational at Stanford
2014 Payton Jordan Invitational: Men's 5000: Ben True And Hassan Mead Go 13:02 As The Top 5 Break 13:10
True got the win in 13:02.76 over a super stacked field where Mead was second in 13:02.80.
2014 Payton Jordan Women's 5,000: Sifan Hassan Goes Sub-15 To Win As Katie Mackey Runs 15:04 And Aisling Cuffe Is The 3rd Fastest Collegiate All-Time
The women's 5,000 at the 2014 Payton Jordan Cardinal Invitational was won by the Netherlands' Sifan Hassan (formerly of Ethiopia) in a world-leading time of 14:59.23. Sweden's Meraf Bahta (formerly of Eritrea) was second in a national record of 14:59.49. Leading the Americans was Brooks Beasts' Katie Mackey in 15:04.74, just beating out Boulder Track Club's Laura Thweatt (15:04.98). GB 20-year-old Emelia Gorecka was 5th in 15:07.45 as Stanford's Aisling Cuffe set a new school record and put herself 3rd on the all-time NCAA list with a 15:11.13.
Cranny is now the second fastest high schooler of all-time as she blew away Jordan Hasay's 4:14.50. Only Mary Cain's NR of 4:04.62 is faster. In other events, Eliud Rutto had a breakthrough 1:45.37 victory in the 800, Karine Belleau-Beliveau beat Treniere Moser in the women's 800, Riley Masters won the men's 1500 (3:38) and Billy Nelson and Shalaya Kipp got steeplechase wins.
Payton Jordan Women's 10,000: Molly Huddle Is #2 All-Time Fastest American At 30:47; Sally Kipyego Gets The Win In 30:42
The women's 10,000 saw a new world lead in Olympic silver medalist Sally Kipyego's 30:42.26 and the second fastest time ever by an American woman in Molly Huddle's 30:47.59 for second place. Former All-American Betsy Saina was 3rd (30:57.30) and Jordan Hasay set a new PR with 31:39.67 for 4th.
Mexico's Juan Luis Barrios was the winner of the 2014 Payton Jordan Cardinal Invitational 10,000 in 27:34.40 as Cam Levins was second in 27:36.00. Oklahoma State's Shadrack Kipchirchir set a collegiate lead at 27:36.79 for 5th beating out Texas Tech's Kennedy Kithuka (27:41.73). Bobby Curtis was the top American in 7th with 27:46.30.
Week in Review: Ben True, Hassan Mead, Adam Goucher and The Payton Jordan 5000m, Molly Huddle's 30:47, Aisling Cuffe, Elise Cranny, and Brannon Kidder
Our crack stats team gives you the lowdown on Stanford's fast times. How do Ben True and Hassan Mead compare to Adam Goucher and Galen Rupp? Will there be a slew of sub 13:00 Americans in 2014? Plus, some fast times from Aisling Cuffe and teen star Elise Cranny. The performance of the week was Molly Huddle's 30:47 10k. And some props for Brannon Kidder.
On The Boards
- You guys realize huddle just ran 15:20...then ran another 15:20?
- How would Payton Jordan 5k have play out had Rupp been in it?
- Aisling Freaking Cuffe Third Fastest Collegiate Ever - 15:11!!!
- BEN MF TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!
- Payton Jordan ~ play by play & results
- Elise Cranny 4:10.95 1500!!
- Payton Jordan Women's 10k preview
- Stacked Payton Jordan 5k
- 2014 Payton Jordan Women's 5,000: Sifan Hassan Goes Sub-15 To Win As Katie Mackey Runs 15:04 And Aisling Cuffe Is The 3rd Fastest Collegiate All-Time
- 2014 Payton Jordan Men's 10,000: Mexico's Juan Luis Barrios Gets The Win Over Cam Levins
- 2014 Payton Jordan Mid-D Action: Elise Cranny's #2 All-Time 4:10.95 1500 Highlights
- Payton Jordan Women's 10,000: Molly Huddle Is #2 All-Time Fastest American At 30:47; Sally Kipyego Gets The Win In 30:42
- 2014 Payton Jordan Invitational: Men's 5000: Ben True And Hassan Mead Go 13:02 As The Top 5 Break 13:10