Entering Thursday, the U.S. had won four medals in the 800 at World Juniors but none in an event longer than that. Mary Cain made history, unleashing a big kick over the final 175 meters to pull away for the gold in 8:58.48. *RRW
Cain Mania On the Messageboard: MARY CAIN DOES IT! CAIN WINS 2014 JUNIOR CHAMPS 300 IN 8:58.48!
*How fast could Mary Cain go in 3000 time trial right now?
*What is the point of the W 3000 meters at WJ Champs
Vin Lananna: "Based on all measures that we have anecdotally, this was a grand success."
Kenya's dominance in these events extended to the junior ranks as Kenyans went 1-2 in both races. American Tre'tez Kinnaird was sixth in the 800 while Bailey Roth was 10th in the steeple and re-broke his U.S. high school record that he set in Friday's prelims.
W 1,500: Ethiopia's Dawit Seyaum Reigns Supreme; Elise Cranny Closes Well for 4th; Alexa Efraimson Fades to 6th
Seyaum moved to the front at the bell and broke away from the field over the last 200. Efraimson was in the hunt for a medal with 200 to go but couldn't hold on while Cranny moved up well for 4th, tied for the second-best finish ever by an American in an event longer than 800 at World Juniors.
Numerous side events are accompanying World Juniors including an elite track meet and the Eugene Marathon.
American Tre'tez Kinnaird (Indiana) is surprisingly the fastest qualifier for the boys 800 final at World Juniors
Kinnaird ran 1:48.04 to put himself in contention for a medal.
Kejelcha put on a show at the end of this one, running his last 1600 in 4:07 and breaking the race wide open before winning in 13:25. So good, he reminded us of Kenny B in 2008. Americans Colby Gilbert and Brian Barraza were 9th and 13th, respectively.
Wambui upset world #2 Sahily Diago for the win in an 800 that went out faster than last week's Monaco DL meet. Sawe led for most of the race and was simply too good in the end as he was unchallenged in the final straight.
*MB: Letsrun, do we have another 'Caster Semenya situation' in girls 800 at 2014 World Juniors?
Heroye and Hawi used a 4:45 second 1600 to break the field and ran away with this one, finishing 33 seconds ahead of the bronze medallist, Agnes Jebet Tirop of Kenya. Maggie Schmaedick of the USA & Oregon was 12th and missed her PR by less than a second.
W 800 Semis: American Sabrina Southerland Fails to Advance to Final as Cuba's Sahily Diago Leads Qualifiers
For the first time since 2008, no American will be in the girls 800 final at World Juniors where the world's #2 Sahily Diago of Cuba will be the favorite.
On The Boards
- Well...How did we do??? Did the U.S. and Eugene do a good job hosting junior worlds?
- 4 Ethiopian Track Team Members Missing from World Juniors
- Cranny 4th, Efraimson 6th in WJ 1500
- USATF drops the ball again!
- How would Cain have done in the other events?
- Bailey Roth breaks 35 year old steeple HSR!
- Who was that guy that cain kissed on her victory lap???
- Track and Field is unpopular because it takes SIX DAYS for a Track Meet????
- MARY CAIN DOES IT! CAIN WINS 2014 JUNIOR CHAMPS 300 IN 8:58.48!
- Letsrun, do we have another 'Caster Semenya situation' in girls 800 at 2014 World Juniors?
- Alfred Kipketer Wins Men's 800 Impressively in 1:43; Barnabas Kipyego Captures 3,000 Steeple Title
- W 1,500: Ethiopia's Dawit Seyaum Reigns Supreme; Elise Cranny Closes Well for 4th; Alexa Efraimson Fades to 6th
- American Tre'tez Kinnaird (Indiana) is surprisingly the fastest qualifier for the boys 800 final at World Juniors
- Men's 5000: Yomif Kejelcha and Yasin Haji Go 1-2 as Ethiopia Completes Gold/Silver Sweep of 5ks
- W 800/M 1500: Margaret Wambui and Jonathan Sawe Claim Two Golds for Kenya
- Mary Cain Wins Women's 3000 - The U.S.'s First-Ever Distance Medal at World Juniors
- Mary Cain Takes 3000m Gold At 2014 IAAF World Junior Championships
- HSer Kendal Williams, an FSU commit, beats NCAA champ Trayvon Bromell as USA goes 1-2 in men's 100 at World Jrs.
- Women's 5000: Ethiopians Alemitu Heroye & Alemitu Hawi Go 1-2 and Crush the Field
- 800m Medal Favorites Diago, Hinriksdottir Advance at World Junior Championships
- After winning World Youth gold last year, Alfred Kipketer Kipketer eyes Eugene World Jr gold this year
- Schedule: 2014 IAAF World Junior Championships Track and Field Schedule
- 2014 World Juniors Preview: Mary Cain Is the Favorite for Gold in the 3,000; Alexa Efraimson Could Medal in the 1,500; Does Anyone Else Have a Chance?