Incredible Lance Documentary - The Armstrong Lie - Comes Out Nov. 8, 2013 *Movie Clip #1 *Movie Clip #2
A Great Read: Awesome Q&A with documentarian Alex Gibney on his new film and being lied to by Lance Armstrong Gibney thinks Lance is still lying about being clean in 2009.
*Former Lance Armstrong author Bill Strickland screens the new documentary “The Armstrong Lie” He says it's a great watch for non cycling and cycling fans alike.
*Rave Reviews on Rotten Tomatoes
Darnit: A federal judge rules that Lance Armstrong was allowed to lie in his memoirs "A federal judge has ruled that Lance Armstrong, the disgraced cyclist who admitted to doping earlier this year, is allowed to lie in his memoirs."
The Fight Back Against Competitor Begins... Boycott Rock N Roll Events
Competitor is dropping elite support but Pittsburgh Three Rivers Marathon, Inc., a nonprofit is upping support to $150,000 The non-profits goal is “promoting the love of running" not profits.
Boycott Competitor Events
LRC Editorial No, Thank You: We Don't Need Competitor Running The Vast Majority Of Big Running Events In This Country The Competitor Group (Rock N Roll Races) has decided it does not want to give back to the sport of running despite receiving millions in public subsidies. It's time to boycott their events and support groups that give back to the sport. It would be WAY better if a non-profit, not a private equity fund, ran the big road races in the USA, but nothing will change unless YOU get involved and vote with your feet. Don't run their events and question their expansion into your city.
We Can Make a Difference: Boulder Running Company Company Cancels Rock 'N' Roll Registration Party At Their Store "That's not right (them eliminating prize money), and we wouldn't support that. This is a community-based store, and this community is involved in the elite side of the sport."
2000 Olympic 4th placer, 2008 Ironman 70.3 Champion Joanna Zeiger: Do Professional Runners/Triathletes Matter? Zeigler emailed us a link to her well-written column.
People In Philly Irate By Competitor Group's Decision: "I don't think it's fair to the legacy of the people who built the event."
News From Europe
- US's Diane Nukuri-Johnson wins women’s 10,000m title in a championship record 32:29.14 on 4th day of Francophone Games
- Jessica Ennis-Hill will do Commonwealths next year - urges fans to buy tix now as track is going to sell out
- 9.91 man James Dasaolu hopes to break European record of 9.86 before Rio
News From Kenya
- Record 4220 will run marathon on outskirts of Nairobi Last year the race, which in reality is just a 10k and 13.1, had 2700 entrants.
- Coca Cola's Dasani water is sponsoring team with Lucy Kabuu with $6,000
- 15 defiant Athletics Kenya will convene Special General Meeting (SGM) on September 26 that may lead to ouster of 26-year old dictator Isaiah Kiplagat
- News From South Africa:
Mediator hoping to solve impasse between Athletics South Africa (ASA) and the country’s Olympic movement (SASOC)
Big Names In The News
King Carl Is Moving Back To Houston And Is Named Volunteer Coach For University Of Houston People 30 and under, Carl Lewis was once the equivalent of Usain Bolt - the face of track
and a total
Lance Armstrong Has Returned His 2000 Olympic Medal
- New IOC Head Talks About Russia's Anti-Gay Laws The first call he took as IOC president was from Vladimir Putin, who seems to be involved in everything these days, but they didn't talk about the law.
- We'll Believe It When We See It: After Fielding Two Overage Athletes At African Junior Champs, Kenyan Says It Will Ban Individuals And Federations Found Guilty Of It In The Future
- Controversial Eight-Year Tenure Of Eddie McGuire On The Athletics Australia Board Is Finally Over Following His Resignation People were irate about the conflicts of interest. He's the head of Collingwood Football Club and allowed track and field to be evicted from the Olympic park so his football club could train there.
- Nigerian Govt. Rewards Blessing Okagbare For Her Two WChamps Medals (Silver LJ, Bronze 200) With $21,000 - Coach Gets $18,000 Don't third world countries have better things to spend their money on?
- Kenyans Happy That Paul Tergat Was Named To IOC Board
- Athletics Kenya Bosses Act Like All Is Fine, Less Than 48 Hours Before Deadline For Federation President Isaiah Kiplagat To Convene A New Head
- Soweto Marathon Which Was Cancelled Is Now Back On A Day Later
Big Multi Competition This Weekend In Talence
- IAAF Preview Of Talence Multis Challenge: Ashton Eaton Leads Men's Field As He And Wife Brianne Theisen Try To Become The 1st Married Couple To Win The IAAF Combined Events Challenge Olympic PV champ Renaud Lavillenie is competing in his first decathlon and hoping to break the decathlon pole vault WR of 5.76. He has to score over at least 7,000 points overall for it to count, though.
- Register Guard Article On The Newlywed Eatons Competing In Talence And Hoping To Bring Home Some Significant Prize Money They could take home 60 grand if they both win the overall series titles. Not a bad wedding present.
- Ukraine's Surprise Heptathlon World Champion Hanna Melnychenko Looking To End Her Season On A High Note At Saturday's Decaster Combined Events Challenge Melnychenko current leads the series and will face Worlds silver medalist Theisen-Eaton among others.
- Plans In Place To Bring CityGames Concept To London Next Summer The Great North CityGames are this weekend and features track and field athletes competing in the streets of major cities rather than in a stadium.
- Wounded Veterans Meeting In Boston With Amputee Victims Of The 2012 Boston Marathon Bombing
- IAAF Reacap: Chinese National Games End With Exciting TJ Contests
- Jan Paterson Named Chef De Mission For Team England For The 2014 Commonwealth Games In Glasgow
US Pro / NCAA News
- Bernie Montoya Starts At ASU With High Expectations, But Maybe Less Pressure Given He Didn't Go Sub-4 In High School We 100% think not breaking 4 was a blessing. Coach Louie Quintana says, "He (Montoya) comes with a lot of hoopla, but he's still very untapped aerobically."
- Lukas Verzbicas' Comeback Has Continued As He Won The Carlsbad Triathlon Back In July
- The Most Ridiculous Track Video You'll Watch Today: "Washed-Up" Princeton Track Alums Come Back To Race 200m At "The Race For The Hangover Cure" Formerly fit track athletes try to relive the glory days over 200 meters.
- Good Read: At 42 Years Old, Two Time US Olympian Elva Dryer Returns To The Marathon On October 6th For The US Masters Champs At Twin Cities This will be her first race in 4 years and she's hoping for something in the 2:30's (her best is 2:31:48 from 2006).
- Cory McGee Returns To Florida Trying To Catch Her Breath And Get Ready For XC After A Packed Summer Which Included NCAAs, USAs, World Champs And Racing On The European Circuit She also took online classes while traveling through Belgium, Austria and Russia.
- OSU And Arizona State Revitalizing "Dan Vs. Dave" Rivalry: Former Olympic Decathlon Bronze Medalist Dave Johnson Added As An Assistant Coach At Oregon State Johnson and Dan O'Brien were very well known decathlon rivals leading up to the 1992 Olympic Trials and now they'll coach against each other at opposing PAC-12 schools with O'Brien at AZ State.
- Can Mattie Suver Hold Her Lead In The USA Running Circuit Standings? Right now, overall points are close between her and Janet Bawcom, both of whom are hurt by the fact that they're running the NYC Marathon only 2 weeks before the US 12K Champs (a meet which is somewhat controversially worth triple points).
- Matt Tegenkamp Leads US Running Circuit Men's Standings
Saturday - Great North CityGames - *WatchLive For Free On USATF.tv on Saturday (8:00 - 9:30am ET Or BBC 1-2:30pm England Time) - Sunday - Great North Run *On Live On BBC Sunday At 4am ET
- Sunday: Two Incredible Half Marathon Races: IAAF Preview: Kenny B vs. Haile & Mo and Dibaba vs. Defar at 13.1 If the 40-year-old Haile wins, Mo and Kenenisa should be embarrassed.
- Athletics: 'I am better than Mo Farah' says Kenenisa Bekele "He is a great athlete, but when I am fit, I think I am the best.”
- Haile G urges Mo Farah not to move to marathon yet "If I run 3.28 for 1,500 metres why do I need to move to the marathon? I stay at 5,000 and 10,000 because there is a chance to break world records."
- In 1981, Brendan Foster created the Great North Run and now they are about to become the first event in history with 1 million finishers
- Mo Farah ready pormises a 'great show' on Sunday: "The most important thing is not about time, it's putting on a great show."
- Video: Mo Farah "Confident" As He Takes On Kenenisa Bekele And Haile Gebrselassie This Weekend European
- Athletics: Mo Farah Has Reached A Crossroad In His Career - Stay On Track Or Go To The Roads (Marathon)
- Fujiwara And Kawauchi Lead Seven-Strong Japanese Contingent At Great North Run
- Women's Preview: Dibaba Vs. Defar 2013 Round Two Dibaba says she lost in Zürich because it took her 22 hours to get there and her back was stiff. Will it be different on Sunday?
- Saturday:Start Lists And Results Kiprop vs. Manzano, Heath, Gregson and Birgen in men's mile, England vs. Obiri and Chemos in women's mile.
- Christine Ohuruogu Is A Headliner But Having To Drop Down To 150m
- Great North CityGames Preview: Another matchup to watch is Sally Pearson versus Porter, Harper and Wells.
- Paralympic Gold Medallist Jonnie Peacock Repeats Call For DL To Include More Disability Events At Its Meets Memo to Peacock: Do you except the Premiere League to have wheelchair soccer? That being said, this weekend's Great North CityGames includes Paralympic events, as did the Manchester CityGames in May.
- Lots More Big Action This Weekend Plan Your Weekend Thanks To Jesse Squire's "Best Weekend Matchups"
- Sub-1 hr guys Philemon Limo and Daniel Chebii racing in Sunday's Mattoni Ústí nad Labem Half Marathon in Czech.
- More News From The UK: Rules Tweaked For 2013-14 Edition Of British Athletics Cross Challenge
News From Canada
- Mini preview of next weekend's Canadian 10km championships - Olympicans Reid Coolsaet, Eric Gillis and Dylan Wykes all competing
- Dylan Wykes is now back in Vancouver and running another 10km this weekend
The 5th Ave Mile Is Next Weekend
World Championships Silver Medalists Nick Symmonds And Jenny Simpson Lead Fields For NYRR Fifth Avenue Mile Men's field has Bernard Lagat, Nick Willis, David Torrence, Will Leer, Leo Manzano and Evan Jager, while the women's are also includes Shannon Rowbury, Gabriele Anderson and Morgan Uceny.
Is Speedgolf The Next Olympic Sport?
- Bernard Lagat And Nick Willis Competing In The Speedgolf World Championships In Oregon On October 26th And 27th Speedgolf is exactly what it sounds like: You play a round of golf as fast as you can and lowest score (shots + time) wins. Willis' best performances is a very impressive round of 79 in only 43 minutes.
- Spikes-Magazine Q&A With Lagat About His Upcoming Speedgolf Debut Lagat's best regular golf score is 89 and he says, "As a runner, the thing that golf has allowed me to work on is my patience, which is something I don't normally have much of. I always have to be quick, quick, quick after I hit the ball. Even when I'm playing golf it's intense. I have that competitive instinct."
Other Distance News
- World-Famous Marathon Coach Renato Canova Named Head Distance Coach For Chinese Athletics Federation Canova: "It is a very exciting project. The excitement likely comes in the form of being able to mold an almost non-existent Chinese middle and long distance program." What will this mean for all the top Kenyan marathoners he coaches?
- This Would Have Been Untimely News If Madrid Had Won 2020 Bid: Spanish Distance Runners Alberto Lozano, Sergio Sanchez And Angel Mullera Test Positive Sanchez is the European indoor 3k record holder and Mullera was 11th in the steeple in Moscow.
- Two-Time World Marathon Champion Abel Kirui Competing In Eldoret Kimbilio Hospice Charity Marathon On October 13th
- SA's 1,500 World Bronze Medalist Johan Cronje Says He Fellow South African Track Athletes Are Lazy And Not Willing To Move Up In Distance "An athlete is running the 800m (when) he should be training for the 1,500m. And the 1,500m athletes should be training for the 5,000m, and the 400m athletes should be training for the 800m. It's easy for the 800m athlete to go and run 400m because he has speed, but he's too lazy to go and train and do the hard work to be a real decent 800m athlete."
- Big Three Highlight Field For October 20th Amsterdam Marathon Defending champion Wilson Chebet (2:05:27) faces 2010 winner Getu Feleke (2:04:50) and Bernard Koech (2:04:53).
- Ethiopia's 2:06 Man Seboka Dibaba Tola Hoping To Break The CR At Next Month's Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon He faces Moroccan Abderrahime Bouramdane (2:07:33) and defending champ Sahle Betona Warga.
- Mandy Ortiz Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Winning The Women's Junior Title At The World Mountain Running Champs Last Weekend
Who Will Bid In 2024?
- Italian Prime Minister Wants To Bid For 2024 Olympics And Paralympics Rome put forward a bid for the 2020 Games before pulling out of the race due to financial concerns.
- After Losing 2020 Bid, Madrid Mayor Rules Out Bid For 2024 Games
Big IOC News
- Alan Abrahamson: German Thomas Bach Elected To Succeed Jacques Rogge As IOC President Abrahamson tells you what it all means, including the relevancy of Vladimir Putin to the Olympic movement.
*The Guardian On Bach Sergey Bubka didn't get the job.
*NY Times Article *IAAF
- USOC Head Larry Probst Gets Elected To IOC This is big news to get the US some clout within the IOC.
- Former Marathon WR Holder Paul Tergat Elected As An IOC Committee Member
- Bach "Addresses" Russia's Anti-Gay Law More of the same, as he said, "Today we cannot enter into discussion about all the details ... You will see that we will follow our values in the Olympic charter. ... We have assurances from the highest authorities in Russia ..."
Drug Talk And One More Reason To Like Asbel Kiprop
- Asbel Kiprop Voices His Support For A Four-Year Minimum Ban For Drug Cheats Kiprop: "I have no problem with it. I win clean and this vice need to be cleaned from our sport. Athletes must work hard and I believe when they have longer periods out, they will miss a lot and also learn their lesson." Remember that Kiprop was elevated to to 1,500 gold in the 2008 Games when Moroccan-Bahraini Rashid Ramzi tested positive.
- Good Read: Disgraced US Sprinter Tim Montogmery, Who Was Banned For Doping In The Balco Scandal And Later Went To Prison For Check Fraud And Heroin, Is Turning His Life Around As A Coach/Family Man He talks about his doping past, time in prison, and transformation since getting out. He says he'd like for his kids to go to school and hear that their father is known for something besides PEDs and prison.
- Montgomery On Usain Bolt: "I pray that he's clean. I pray. If he goes down, it's gonna set track and field back big time."
First Full Week In September = NCAA XC Begins In Earnest - *All college xc results for this weekend
100th Harvard-Yale xc clash is this weekend Harvard leads 59 to 40.
5 Minutes with #2 Duke coach Kevin Jermyn
LRC NCAA XC Fan Polls It's time for you to do your patriotic duty and give us your top 10 teams in the country. Oklahoma State, Colorado, Wisco, Oregon, Providence, NAU, Duke, FSU? Whoever your team is, let us know. Voting now open.
LRC 2013 NCAA Men's Cross-Country Preview - We Expect Oklahoma State To Defend Their National Title
LRC 2013 NCAA Women's Cross-Country Preview - Ray Treacy's Providence Lady Friars Are The Team To Beat
Profile of A Future College Star?
- Lengthy profile of Addison DeHaven - son of 2000 US Olympic marathoner Rod DeHaven - who is the top HSer in North Dakota Visits to Ok. State and Oregon are likely this fall, while Minnesota and Wisconsin also in the mix.
- Rutgers profiles law student and 2013 World Championship team member Ashley Higginson
Say It Ain't So
LRC Patrick Makau Withdraws From 2013 BMW Berlin Marathon With Knee Injury Less than a week after Makau said his training was going great and he was hoping to run 2:02, Makau is now out with a knee injury. We just wish when runners spoke to the press, they gave the whole picture.
Random Mid-Week News
- Wounded Vets, Boston Marathon Bombing Survivors Meet Each Other And Swap Stories
- Is NYC Next Or Fukuoka? Stephen Kiprotich Is Only Going To See His Familt For 1 Day, Then Head To Iten To Get Ready For A Big Marathon In 3 Months
- Boston Marathon Already Half Full
- Recap Of Day 3 Of Francophone Games In Nice For those of you not in the know, Francophone means "French speaking."
- Iran To Allow First Female Triathlete To Compete For Country Full Islamic Dress And Iranian Flag Colours At World Triathlon Champs
- Jamaican Writer Sees That Kenyan Has A Javelin Star And Wonders Why They Don't Expand To Other Events Themselves
- How Did The US Do At World Mountain Champs? Click Here For US team Recap
Week That Was
LRC USA The Best 1,500m Country In The World? Tokyo Gets The Olympics, Ben True Keeps Kicking Butt, Caster Semenya Is Back, Tegenkamp Playing It Conservative, And Lance Armstrong The focus on the track and field world was the Diamond League finale in Brussels. We ignore Brussels in our WTW and talk about everything else. If you want Brussels talk, we've still got you covered here.
$200,013 Worlds Prediction Contest Powered By Karhu
O Canada! LRC 44th @ World XC, 1st In The LRC Prediction Contest, Canadians Continue To Dominate LRC Contests Canada may only be 4.6% of the LRC audience, but Canadians keep dominating our contests. Our Moscow Worlds Contest Powered by Karhu was no different, as Matthew Walters (44th at World XC) came out on top. The University of Victoria kept up its fine tradition of excellence as well. Read all about it and check your scores.
- WADA To Introduce New "Steroid Passport" As The Latest Weapon Against Doping It will be introduced at the end of the year and is similar to the biological passport, which monitors and identifies changes in athletes' blood profiles.
- Lance Armstrong Still Hasn't Returned Olympic Bronze Medal Which The IOC Stripped Him Of In The Wake Of His Doping Confession
US News: Good News For College Track
- George Washington Athletics To Reinstate Track And Field Next Year
- One We Missed During Worlds: University Of Maryland Men's Track And Field
And Cross-CountryTeams Reinstated For 2013 Season The Maryland men were outdoor only. Now they will have an indoor team but still no cross-country. Bring it back and Rojo will coach it for free for a year.
- Ryan Whiting Says His Greatest Moment Of 2013 Wasn't Winning The Diamond League, US Champs, Or Silver In Mosocw, But Becoming A Father "My wife was a swimmer and she's 5ft 10in; I'm 6ft 3in, so he'll probably be bigger than both of us."
- MileSplit Q&A With Potential Mary Cain XC Rival Anna Rohrer, Who Won Foot Locker Last Year She says that her injury could heal in time to race this year and "Foot Locker is not out of the question."
- Flotrack & MileSplit To Merge
Recommended Read Toni Reavis Tries To Brainstorm Ideas For Running To Become A Truly Professional Sport He's got some good ideas like turning running into the PGA Tour at the elite level and the AARP at the grass-roots level. What's holding us back? Well, as Anne Audain of New Zealand once said, "Toni, if this sport truly went professional, most of the people running it would lose their positions."