2011 ING NYC Marathon *Women's Race 9:10 Am Eastern, Men 9:40 Am Eastern *Viewing Info
LRC 2011 ING New York City Marathon Men's Preview: Expect The Course Record To Fall
This is one of the best men's fields ever in NYC. 6 guys could win it - and then you have Americans Bobby Curtis (making his debut with a faster 10k PR than when Ritz made his debut) and Meb.
On The Boards: Where Does This Men's NYC Field Rank?
LRC 2011 ING New York City Marathon Women's Preview: Can Anyone Challenge Mary Keitany? New marathon star Mary Keitany is the favorite, but Boston Champ Caroline Kilel, Russian Inga Abitova or Kim Smith or Werknesh Kidane could challenge.
LRC Flashback 2010: In Debut, Gebremariam Makes Marathon Look Easy Meb was 6th, Ritz 8th.
*Meb: "My training is going well, and if [the Kenyans] run 2:05, I can’t do anything about it, but hopefully they’ll drag me to get a PR."
*NO PACEMAKERS, NO PROBLEM FOR ETHIOPIA'S TSEGAYE KEBEDE
*USATF Spotlight On Lauren Fleshman Talks about her energy bar's "Pick Bars" and how she trains on an cross-trains on an outdoor elliptical ElliptiGo.
*2,000 Pounds Of Pasta And 194 Gallons Of Marinara At NYC Pre-Race Dinner
*Meb Not Stressed Over NYC Or Olympic Trials; He's Satisfied With His Career
*Buzunesh Deba Finds Chasing Personal Bests Brings Victories Too
*Mathew Kisorio Dreams Of Taking New York In his Marathon Debut "When I am in the race, I don't fear anybody. If my body is fit, I'll go."
*Olympic Spot On The Line At NYC For Russian's Inga Abitova & Galina Bogomolova
Elite Men Speak At Friday's Press Conference
*Defending Champ Gebre Gebremariam Says His Training Has Gone "Very Well"
*Geoffrey Mutai Says He's Been Healthy Mr. 2:03:02 says he's been healthy during his buildup and is excited to realize a dream by running New York."I have watched the New York Marathon all the time. My target was to run this race all my life."
*Emmanuel Mutai Says His Training Has Been "Okay" Does okay mean good or not good? We have no idea.
*Jaouad Gharib Transcript
- Bobby Curtis Says He Thinks He Could Run 2:09; Won't Go Out Any Faster Than 64:30 No Matter What Leaders Do Apparently, he got a major speeding ticket rushing to the airport to catch his flight to NYC. On why he's moving towards the marathon: "More glamorous, more money, and more [marketing] opportunities."
- Saturday: Ritz Ahead Of NYRR Dash To The Finish: " This race might not mean a lot to some people. But it means a lot to me." *Flotrack Interview
- Some Interesting Thoughts From A Laid-Back Bobby Curtis "It's not that big of a deal. If I were an NFL quarterback and choked, then people would be calling for my hide, but that's not how running works in this country. We're more forgiving."
- Meb Keflezighi Says If He Has A "Great Day" He Could Contend For The Win At 36 years old, despite all his impressive marathon titles, his PR is still only 2:09:15.
- After Fading To 3rd Last Year, Mary Keitany Comes Back As The Favorite After winning London in 2:19:19 and setting the WR in the half marathon, she has to be the favorite.
- Q&A With Mary Keitany Ahead Of NYC Says she expects Caroline Kilel to be her main comp.
- A Brief Chat With Jen Rhines
- UK's Jo Pavey Very Excited To Be Running Her 2nd Marathon At NYC
- NY Times: After Tough Year, Chilean Miner Edison Peña Returns To Run NYC
- Pair Of Russian Marathoners Looking For Good Performances At NYC To Make Olympic Team
- New York City Marathon May Become Two-Day Event If they do this, we hope the men run one day and the women another, as having the women finish when the men's race is being broken open always ruins the TV coverage.
- Recommended Read: Great WSJ Article Praising NYC For Ditching Pacemakers - A Runner and His ... Entourage? "Back when racing started, they didn't even time it. You hold a race, you run it from here to there, and whoever came in first, that's the winner." *MB: Discuss
- Surprise: Athletics Kenya Says 2012 Olympic Marathon Team Will Be Named After New York (Not Spring Marathons)
- NY Marathon Opening Ceremony Now Includes An Olympic-Esque Parade Of Nations
- NY Times Looks At Some Of The Greatest Moments In NYC History
College XC News - 2 Great Articles
- Aspiring College Journalists, Read This Well-Written Article AZ Student Newspaper Profiles The Amazing Lawi Lalang, Who Gets Tons Of Praise From Coach Li Li, who knows a thing or two about Kenyan phenoms, as he coaches Bernard Lagat, says Lalang is truly special: "I have not seen someone in college running as well as he is and I've had a lot of Olympic-level athletes over the years. He's very exceptional, this one is for real."
- Indy Star: IU Men Ran Boldly In Trying To Beat Wisco - Hoping They Would They Crack - But In The End, The Hoosiers Cracked "I wish we could be the Big Ten champions," Helmer said. "I think we could have won all but one other conference championship in the country this weekend." The Hoosiers placed seven runners ahead of Wisconsin's sixth man. If scoring had been for seven instead of five, the Badgers' margin would have been 100-120. "They're not intimidating. They're just good," IU grad student Adrien Dannemiller said. "They're ranked No. 1 in the country for a reason."
SEC: Arkansas Men, Vanderbilt Women Win SECs Easily Eric Fernandez and Kristen Gillespie of Arkansas got the individual crowns.
Big 10s: Ignore The Rankings, We Have A Favorite For NCAAs Wisconsin Men Win 13th-Straight Big 10 Title In Dominant Fashion The Badgers made a mockery of the rest of the Big 10 by scoring 17 points vs. a talented Indiana team. *Results *MB: Big 10 Talk
*Michigan State Women Repeat In 3rd Closest Big 10 Meet In History 55 to 61 over Michigan. *Women's Results
PAC-12s: Wetmore Works His Magic As Colorado Sweeps *Results The PAC-12 is the new super XC conference. The CU men edged Stanford, and the women, who were only picked 4th coming in in the latest LRC polls (and 6th in the national coaches polls), pulled the upset.
*Colorado AD Is Particularly Thrilled As Colorado Had Won One Game In All Sports In PAC-12 Until The XC Titles "Just what the doctor ordered," according to the AD.
*Wetmore Gives His Teams A Grades For Their Showing - Refuses To Give Out A+ Since Colorado Isn't In The Ivy League & Doesn't Practice Grade Inflation "I would give it an A and an A and that's as high as I get. This isn't Harvard," Wetmore said.
*Katie Flood Surprise Winner At PAC-12s
*Stanford's Jason Dunn Disappointed A 5th Man Didn't Step Up
*Lananna On His Young Squad: "I thought the guys did a pretty good job."
On The Boards: PAC-12 Update Thread *Craig Lutz > Lukas Verzbicas *Bad day for Hasay?
Big 12s: German Fernandez And Oklahoma State Win Men's Crowns Iowa State Wins Womens
On The Boards: GERMAN FTMFW
Heps: Princeton Men, Cornell Women Win In The Snow! Congrats to friend of LRC Artie Smith for his first conference title. And if you want to see what can be done in terms of conference coverage with almost no budget, check out this link. *Heps XC On The Boards
Big East: Villanova Men Win Convincingly, Women Edge Providence (Results)
*Marcus O'Sullivan Impressed By Men's Win: "We had an unbeatable effort today."
ACC: Florida State Women Dominate, NC State Men Edge FSU Kendra Schaaf dominated on the women's side as Ryan Hill won on the men's. *ACCs On The Boards *Kendra Schaaf is back!
West Coast Conference: Portland Pilots Amazing 32-Year Conference Win Streak Is Snapped In Year 1 Of Legit Competition - BYU 25, Portland 32 More NCAA On The Boards: BYU vs. Portland Portland's 32-year conference XC streak came to an end.
Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Results *Yahoo Photos
LRC Moses Mosop A Superstar, Liliya Shobukhova Becomes Second-Fastest Woman Ever Updated Moses Mosop dominated the final miles in Chicago after Wesley Korir tried to make it interesting. Russian Liliya Shobukhova ran 2:18:20 to become the second-fastest woman ever. American Ryan Hall ran 2:08:04 for 5th. Great for any other American marathoner, so-so for him.
LRC: Wesley Korir Impresses With 2:06:15 Second Place In Chicago The former Louisville Cardinal broke the race up with a surge at 30km. Afterwards, he revealed what he was trying to do.
Ryan Hall Says He Needs More Time At Sea Level To Work On Turnover RW
LRC Non-Quotes Of The Day From 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Hall talks about what 2:08 means, Canova talks about the world record.
LRC Quick Recap With Men's Splits: Moses Mosop Breaks Course Record At 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon, Shobukhova Runs 2:18:20
NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k *Results
LRC Chris Thompson, Sara Hall Win, Ritz Is 3rd (link fixed) Hall continued her fine fall campaign with the win in this race that serves as a huge NYRR recruiting tool. Most importantly for US distance fans, Dathan Ritzenhein did well and emerged from the race healthy (link fixed to story with Hall interview).
LRC Healthy Ritz Talks About Marathon Trials, His Track Ambititions And More After double foot surgery in March, a healthy Ritz ran what was likely his only race before the Olympic Marathon Trials in 10 weeks. He talked about his preparations for the Marathon Trials, his desire to run faster on the track, and showed he stil has a lot of fire: "The talent's still there. I'm still young. I'm 28 so hopefully I just keep getting better."
- Shalane Flanagan To Run San Antonio Half-Marathon On Nov. 13th
- IAAF Preview JoongAng Seoul Marathon: Defending Champ David Kemboi Kiyeng (2:06 Best) Leads Field
- IAAF: 2006 Commonwealth 10k Champ Lucy Wangui Kabuu Wins 1st KCB/AK National XC Weekend Meet African XC CHamp John Mwangangi loses on the men's side.
- Update On Japan Grand Tour Kyushu
*Yohan Blake, Usain Bolt, David Rudisha Finalists For Athlete Of The Year Valerie Adams, Vivian Cheruiyot, Sally Pearson are the women finalists.
*IAAF President Lamine Diack Still Under Investigation By IOC For Allegedly Taking Bribes www.independent.co.uk Report release to come in December.
- WADA Putting Pressure On BOA To Scrap It's Olympic Life-Ban; Dwain Chambers May Soon Appeal
- Two Drug Busts From World Champs sports.espn.go.com MONACO -- Portuguese steeplechaser Sara Moreira and South Korean sprinter Lim Hee-nam tested positive for the stimulant methylhexaneamine.
- Recap Of Doping Tests From World Champs
- RIP Former Oregon Runner, Rhiannon Glenn Hull Hull drowned last week in Costa Rica while swimming at the beach with her youngest son. She was able to hand her son to a nearby teenager before being pulled under.
- HS Cross-Country Runner Dedicates County Championship Win To His Mother, Who Has Terminal Cancer
- Sam Chelanga Joins The OTC
- Ed Cheserek Running Foot Locker, Futsum Zeinasellassie's Running NXN And Foot Locker
2017 World Champs
*Seb Coe Pushes Bid For 2017 World Champs "If you'd said to me five or six years ago that I would be involved in another bid, I would have responded I think you might need to put me in a white coat and sit me quietly in a corner of a room."
*London's 2017 Bid "in really good shape."
*European Athlete Of The Year Mariya Savinova And Two Other Russian World Champs Medalists Support London's 2017 Bid
Last Week*Larger Image Of Kipsang At Finish
Frankfurt: Oh-So-Close: 2:03:42 - Wilson Kipsang's World Record Assault Comes Up Just Short IAAF The world of marathoning continues to be simply amazing
on the men's side.
*AP Recap Levy Matebo was second (2:05:16) and Albert Matebor third (2:05:25) as the women's CR was broken by Mamitu Daska (2:21:59).
Pre-Race: Last Year's 2:04:57 Course Record Holder Wilson Kipsang Says World Record Can Fall At Sunday's BMW Frankfurt Marathon Kipsang may be getting a bit ahead of himself, but he's very good. More on Kipsang here.
Trying To Inspire The Next Generation
Monday's Quote Of The Day: "Who did I beat? I beat the demons within me." - Billy Mills in a Washington Post profile. Good read.
Gary Reed Hopes To Bring Track Back To Life Vancouver Sun "I don't know that a lot of people want to admit that, but I know it's dying. The next generation is really struggling. The numbers from junior to senior are falling off like crazy and I, as someone who got my whole life from track, would love to leave the sport better off than what I found it."
More Weekend Action
UK: Leonard Komon Goes Out In 4:12 In 10-Mile World Record Attempt - Blows Up & Comes Up Short At Bupa Great South Run The man who missed Geb's WR (44:23) by just 4 seconds last month ended up winning in 46:18 as Alistair Cragg was third in 47:14. Asselefech Mergia won the women's race in 52:55.
Pre-Race: Leonard Komon Going For Gebrselassie's 10 Mile Record At This Weekend's Bupa Great Run
LA: 4 Weeks After Running 1:12:23, Deena Kastor Runs 1:11:48 But Was Hoping To Run A Minute Faster
Spain: Marta Dominguez Wins 1st Race Back Since Doping Arrest & Clearance
Kenya: 2:10:54 Wins Debutante $15,000 At Standard Chartered Nairobi Marathon Meanwhile, 32-year-old Margaret Toroitich, who has an 18-year-old daughter, won the women's race in 2:30. *Video Highlights
DC: Lieutenant Chad Ware Runs Wins In Fastest Time In 14 Years (2:19) - Just Misses Olympic Trials Time The former Butler runner is aiming for WCAP as well as a career as a chaplain in the military. *Video
3 Recommended Reads From The Marine Corps Marathon
- Washington Post Columnist Mike Wise Writes Column On Billy Mills' Magnificent Olympic 10,000-Meter Win
- Wounded Warriors Practice True "Semper Fi" In Marine Corps Marathon
- Two-Time Marine Corps Champ & Local DC Legend Darrell General Running Marine Corps Marathon At Age 45 In Honor Of Deceased Brother "Once I cross the line, it's release. It's not going to change a lot of
things, but it's going to be the next step in saying, 'I have to accept
what it is and move on.'" He ended up running 2:48.
- A 4th Unrelated Recommended Read: Nikki Hamblin's Old Coach Rips Pampered & Spoiled Athletes & How Poorly They Treat Their Coaches "She was prepared to train hard. That meant working full-time to get to Europe for the first time. She was prepared to invest thousands of dollars of her own money to pay for the trip before being reimbursed. Now you've got a situation where she acts as she wants; a prima donna out of control who has sacked another coach."
Pan Am Games *Schedule/Results *Free Live Video
Sunday: Pan-Am Games Conclude: Patrick Rizzo Runs Time He Wanted In Marathon (2:21) But Is 8th In Pan Am Games As 19-Year-Old Steals Show
*Jamaican Journalist Take #1: Were the Pan-Am Games really worth it?
*Jamaican Journalist Take #2: I leave with memories that will "remain with me for the rest of my life."
*Jamacian Track Coach Says Team Exceeded Expectations With 5 Medals
Dayron Robles Gets Pan Am Gold In 13.10
Result: Sara Hall Gets Steeple Gold Tyler Mulder, Mark Wieczorek 4th and 5th in 800. On The Boards: Congrats to Sara Hall for Pan Am Gold in the Steeple
Thursday: Omar Cisneros Runs 47.99 To Win Pan Am Gold Over Felix Sanchez Sanchez was emotional afterwards and broke down into tears. Marilson Dos Santos won the 10k easily and former Stanford runner Malindi Elmore got a bronze at 1,500m.
Wednesday: *Costa Rica's Nery Brenes 44.65 Gold In 400m Is Only Costa Rica's 2nd Track Medal Ever At Pan Ams
Olympic LJ Champ Druggie Maurren Maggi Jumps 6.94 To Become 3-Time Champ
4 Recommended Reads
- Meet Notre Dame's And New Mexico's 1st Sub-4 Miler, Chuck Aragon Amazingly, Chuck, who broke 4 within 6 weeks of moving to the mile, still has the ND 1,500 record from the 1970s. His daughter Alexa runs for the Irish currently.
- Famed Physio Gerard Hartmann Is Coming Out With An Autobiography This Week The book is just as much about the stars he treats - Radcliffe, Bono, Travolta, Wejo - as it is about Hartmann. The Wejo bit is a joke, but he did visit him in 2002. *Amazon: Born To Perform: How Sport Has Shaped My Life
- Runners Tribe Interviews Coach/Agent Nic Bideau, Who Has 9 Athletes With A Qualifiers Nic rips the IAAF for not the new women's world record and Athletics Australia for not sending B qualifiers to Daegu.
- Meet Marathon Man Michael Wardian, Who Is An Olympic Trials Qualifier & Has Run 225 Races In The Last 5 Years & Trains On A Treadmill While Babysitting His Kids
An Interesting Debate: Appearance Fees Vs. Prize Money David Powell: "There may be some Utopian merit in the idea of dispensing with appearance fees and moving all the cash into prize money, but it's a fantasy notion. It's never going to happen as a rule of law. That may be stating the obvious but it needs to be said as a precursor to discussing the benefits, or otherwise, of theoretically eliminating fees."