Doug Logan In The News
LRC: Why Doug Logan Is Out At USATF And Where It Goes From Here LetsRun.com co-founder Weldon Johnson offers his analysis of the Logan dismissal. The outsider likely had zero built-in allies in USATF, which even USATF admits is an organization that is inherently "dysfunctional" in its setup. And when an outsider, not an insider over promises and possibly under
delivers he's immediately
thrown to the curb as no one's got his back. Regardless, the key thing to focus on is not why he's gone but what type of person does USATF hire to replace him and how do we prevent history from repeating itself as it appears the initial search process was poorly done.
*Logan Replacement Likely To Come From Within Sport
*SI Claims Logan Secured $10 Million A Year Deal With Nike If that's the case, they couldn't be too far off their $12 million goal for sponsorship for 2010.
Week In Review
LRC Week In Review: Webb, Lukas V, Nelson, Ritz, Culpepper And Miss Universe Runner-Up This week, we start things off by telling you how hard it is for Americans to medal in this day and age of African domination by showing you there is more Kenyan talent entered in an obscure marathon in the Netherlands than has ever existed in the US. We then give unsolicited coaching advice to Alan Webb and Asbel Kiprop, give props to American Tim Nelson and compare him to Dathan Ritzenhein and Alan Culpepper, talk about triathlon stars of the past and present, and finally introduce you to Asafa Powell's future wife - the runner-up at the Miss Universe pageant. All of that and we introduce you to a new star of the sport.
- German High Jumper Christian Reif Smashes PGA Champ Martin Kaymer In Poll To Become German Athlete Of The Month
- UK Athletics Trying To Avoid Dengue Fever At Commonwealths
- Christine Ohuruogu Will Defend Her Commonwealth 400m Title Next Month
- Decathlon Great Daley Thompson Says He'd Be At Commonwealth's If He Was Still Competing
Bye Bye, Doug - We Hardly Knew Ya ...
Stephanie Hightower For USATF CEO? The USATF president won't rule out being considered. If she's selected, it seems to us it shouldn't be a $450,000-a-year gig.
Doug Logan Out At USATF Logan, who
less than two years ago was a unanimous pick by the search committee to be USATF CEO, was canned by the USATF board on Monday. We're shocked he was fired, especially considering
USATF may owe him a $1$2 million severance. It'll be interesting to see why the board fired Logan. Logan's biggest problem (besides the dysfunctional organization that faces every CEO of USATF) may have been promising way too much. We thought the whole "Project 30" report was a waste of time about a non-existent problem. Nonetheless,
we gave Logan props for letting the
Olympic Trials go to the highest bidder. We want to see what the board says on this one. If you'd like to comment on Logan's firing on or off the record, email us or post in our forums in the threads below:
More: Washington Post: Logan Vowed To Clean House And Now He's The One Shown The Door
NY Times: Steph Hightower Says It's Halftime Between Olympics And Time To Make Changes
Reuters: Board President Steph Hightower Admits She Didn't Vote For Or Against Doug Logan When He Was Hired How a board member could not have enough info is ridiculous - either for them personally or the search process in general.
Chicago Tribune: Next Guy Had Better Be At Least $2 Million Better Than Logan
On The Boards: USA Track & Field dumps CEO Logan *Farewell Doug Logan, we hardly knew ya... *Deena Kastor Comments
Commonwealth Games News
- New Zealand Committee Meeting To Determine Whether To Cancel Sending A Team To Commonwealth Games This is a classic example of bureaucrats justifying their jobs. We bet a lot they send a team. These are the same people that likely voted to have the Games in Delhi.
- Olympic Silver Medallist Eliud Kipchoge Replaces Olympic Bronze Medallist Edwin Soi On Kenyan 5,000 Team Kipchoge is also the 2010 world leader but his first race was his best.
- Indian Head - We're Ready
Lukas V Update
DecaNation Meet *Results
- Will Leer, Nick Symmonds And Lisa Aguilera Pick Up Wins In France (Results only) Their winning times were nothing to write home about. Also Erin Donohue beat world leader Anna Alminova.
- DecaNation Recap IAAF
- David Oliver Wins Again In Hurdles To Lead US To Victory As Rodgers Beats Lemaitre In 100m
- More Weekend Action: Ivan Ukhov Goes World-Leading 2.36 In High Jump
Penn State: Penn State XC: Georgetown Women Win, Princeton Men Edge Georgetown
*Men's Penn State Results (Donn Cabral Wins)
*Women's Penn State Spiked Shoe Results
Former NCAA Mile Champ Sean Jefferson, Now A Pro Triathlete, Wins Indiana XC Meet We had no idea he had "gone to the dark side" last year.
It was a slow XC weekend, but the USTFCCCA website has more results.
Saturday Was A Really Slow News Day And We Are Trying To Find A Few Links That Might Interest You
- Australian Olympic Marathoner Lee Troop Wins CU's Alumni/Tryout XC Race
- Other NCAA XC Results
- Japanese National University Champs Day One & Two Recap
- "Tired" Caster Semenya Returns Home To Train For Commonwealths
Alan Webb's & Nick Willis' Comebacks Continue - Notturna Di Milano Meeting *Results *Webb/Willis Race Video *IAAF Recap *Milan Photo Gallery
Nick Willis Runs 3:35.17 To Win As Alan Webb Runs 3:36.21 To Finish 5th! Fans of Alan Webb are starting to get excited as his comeback is officially on, as he ran
just .35 slower than he did in 2008 when he flamed out in the Olympic year.
Want A Rematch? You've Got It!!! Lagat, Manzano, Webb And Willis To Clash On September 26th At Continental Airlines Fifth Avenue Mile In a day and age when people say there aren't any rivalries or races worth watching, this one looks like a real dandy.
Caster Semenya Runs 1:58.16 - The Fastest Time Of Her Comeback
*IAAF Recap Unheralded 20-year-old Ethiopian Almirew Yenew (a 13:16 and 7:46 guy) of Ethiopia crushed the field in the 3k, running 7:28.82. Asbel Kiprop basically quit over the final laps for the second race in a row.
News From Kenya & The Commonwealth
- Kenyan Team For World Half Marathon Champs On October 9th Is Named
- Execution Date For 50 Cows That Will Be Slaughtered In Honor Of Rudisha's World Record Set For Sept. 17th
- Kenya Defends Rudisha's Commonwealth Withdrawal
- Commonwealth Games Stadiums Are Built - Dengue Fever Fear Still Alive Officials are telling people that they only have a .0082% chance of getting the disease.
CLIF SHOT® ROKS™: Protein Bites For Recovery We at letsrun.com have always personally loved Clif Bars and the Clif Bar story. It's a company, independent to this day, started by a dude who on a 175-mile bike ride said, "I can make something better" and he did. Clif Bar's CLIF SHOT® line is all about delivery great-tasting, scientifically-backed, all-natural and organic sports nutrition to performance athletes. CLIF SHOT® BLOKS™, CLIF SHOT® Energy Gel and the newest CLIF SHOT ROKS provide athletes with the essential nutrition for their training and racing needs. Read more about this all-natural recovery product and a little more about the incredible Clif Bar Story (the founder started shaking when he was about to sell his company for $120 million and instead kept it private).
The Week That Was/Truth Stranger Than Fiction
LRC Week In Review Mark Twain once said that truth is stranger than fiction and last week, in terms of Chris Lukezic and Caster Semenya, that certainly proved to be the case. In terms of men's and women's 1,500s, the truth of the world's best two milers getting clobbered at the Continental Cup may seem to be stranger than
fiction but we tell you why in reality, upsets should be expected as they are the name of the game in tactical 1,500s. All of that plus talk of Arthur Lydiard, Peter Snell, Bernard Lagat, Sean Quigley, Justin Gatlin and gene doping.
Usain Bolt's Book Gets Rave Review For Its Marital Advice
ING NYC News
Top Americans Antonio Vega, Tim Nelson, Blake Russell + Canadian Simon Bairu To Take Part In 2010 ING New York City Marathon Nelson is a 27:31 guy (faster than Alan Culpepper's PR) making his debut. American marathoning has come a long way when
get much notice. The women are competing for a $150,000 US only prize pool with no Deena Kastor.
Good Read: Nice Brief Chat With "Little Meb" (Simon Bairu)
Labor Day Road Action *Va Beach Recap *New Haven Recap
Sean Quigley And Magdalena Lewy Boulet Win US Titles At Stratton Faxon New Haven 20k Sean Quigley got his first US title and $8,000 in his first race over 15k as he triumphed over Mo Trafeh. Olympian Magdalena Lewy Boulet won the women's title
over unheralded Stephanie Rothstein.
*On The Boards: Deep field at New Haven 20k on Monday. Predictions?
Off The Road: Team USA Men Finish 2nd At World Mountain Running Champs
Off The Beaten Path: Michael Wardian Comes Up 52 Seconds Short Of $15,000 At Kauai Marathon
Previous: Rock N Roll Virginia Beach:
Songoka (KEN) And Ogi (JPN) Win Coolest Rock N Roll Va Beach In History Cool temps in the mid-60s were a gift to runners. 2009 Philly champ and Employee #1 vanquisher John Crews was the top American male in 9th (66:23) as he prepares for Baltimore in October.
More: *Linet Masai Wins Hyde Park 5k In 15:06 With Twell At 15:32, Pavey 15:53
Our Apologies In Advance ... More Bolt
Australian Rugby Union Player Wins Gatorade 100m Bolt In 11.10 That seems like a slow time for the fastest rugby player in Australia. Bolt was on hand to give his training tips and talk to the press. He did run a celebrity relay.
*Bolt Says He Wants To Run 9.4, Refuses To Go Shark Diving
*Usain Bolt Takes His Show To Australia's Football And Rugby Players smh.com.au
*Video Of Bolt And Footballers In Australia
*Cathy Freeman Honored With Plaque At Sydney Olympic Park
Distance News Before This Weekend's Great Half Marathon (And 5k) Action
- Ryan Hall Blogs About Preparations For Philly And Running The Tioga Pass Ryan is facing a real test this weekend versus Gebre Gebremariam and Abderrahim Goumri in Philly less than a month before Chicago.
- CVS Downtown 5k US Champs This Weekend Recent US record holder Molly Huddle is running.
- Ray Flynn And Eamonn Coghlan And Marcus O'Sullivan Talk About First Fifth Avenue Mile
- Oops: S. African Parliament Calls Caster Semenya "Mr."
- Will Leer, Garrett Heath Running Sunday's Grandma's Minnesota Mile
- Andrew Lemoncello And Claire Hallissey Picked For World Half Marathon Champs
This Weekend - Incredible Half Marathon Action
UK: Gebrselassie Vs. Martin Lel Vs. Ritz At Great North Run Americans may not be too familiar with the Great
North Run, but it gets over 50,000 entrants and is a big deal in Britain and this is the 30th anniversary. Michael Johnson is doing a BBC special on the run this Sunday. But all we care about is the fields it has and it does a good job of culling interesting
matchups. They seem to use the same model that the NYRR uses.
Women: Mara Yamauchi Vs. Berhane Adere, Irina Mikitenko And Constantina Dita At Women's Great North Run
On The Boards: Hey Brits Explain The Great North Run To Us Once they wake up, they'll help us out.
Philly: Meseret Defar To Make Her Half Marathon Debut Versus Shalane Flanagan Defar raced infrequently in Europe this summer but won the 3k at the Continental Cup last weekend. Doubtful she's been doing much half training, but she has run 14:12 for 5k.
Men: Ryan Hall Vs. Gebre Gebremariam Vs. Abderrahim Goumri Gebremariam, the 2009 World XC champ, has been tearing up the roads in 2010, winning everything in sight. Hall, however, has the best half PR of the group.
*defar VS flanagan....who ya got?
New: Washington DC: Catherine Ndereba To Run Sunday's Inaugural Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half Marathon Ndereba may be on the back nine of her career, but she won the Philly race last year. Steve Nearman, former running writer for the Washington Times (the guy who broke the story on Alan Webb making $250,000 a year out of college), is the race director of this new race.
Villanova And The Ducks Go To Washington
- Villanova XC Also Goes to the White House The Wildcat women's team keeps getting overlooked.
- Oregon Women's Team Meets President Obama They were a part of a group of NCAA champions in the "lesser" sports visiting the White House.
- Jordan Hasay Blogs About The Visit
- More Presidential News: Allyson Felix Having Her First Presidential Council Meeting On Physical Fitness And Then Is Off To Bahamas
Drug Cheats Rejoice
104 Baseball Cheats Can Breathe Easier Tonight As Court Rules Government Illegally Seized Records Of Their Positive Drug Tests
Underdogs Rejoice Man With 15th-Best PR Wins Japanese University 5,000 Title
- Bolt & Jamaican Posse Arrive In Australia We'll pay $20 to the first person who sends a package of Gatorade Bolt Lemon Ice to LetsRun.com's headquarters.
- List Of Charges Against Former Athletics South Africa Head Leonard Chuene Is Long The guy seemingly belongs in jail for theft.
- Ridiculous 17 Men & 19 Women Make Finalists Stage For European Athlete Of The Year You can vote online if you want.
Former University Of Iowa NCAA Standout Racheal Marchand Tests Positive For EPO Marchand was fifth at the NCAA XC champs in 2008 and quit her job this past year to train full-time for the 2012 Olympics for Puerto Rico. We and everyone else are bit late on this story, but this message board thread is all over it.
*Racheal Marchand Wins XC Race, Refuses To Talk To Reporter, Her Mom Blasts Reporter In Comments Section
*Flashback: Racheal Marchand Quits Her Job As A Drug Rep To Train Full Time For 2012 Games
On The Boards: Former NCAA standout EPO busted
Jamaican Editorial On Drugs Says Don't Go The Way Of USA "One recalls that not so long ago, Jamaicans would scoff at the achievements of American athletes within the context of their pervasive use of performance-enhancing drugs. While this has indeed been verified over time, we have to safeguard against a similar tarnishing of our yet favourable international sporting image, in the face of these mounting drug-related incidents."
- Double Doesn't Look Too Difficult For Allyson Felix Schedule-Wise In Daegu
- Usain Bolt With Advice On Life: "I think it's important to live life, and to enjoy life. You can't stress about things because stressing doesn't change problems."
- Walter Dix's Agent (His Brother) Looks Back On Walter's 2010 Season
- Breaux Greer May Be Back
Marathon/Half Marathon News
This Weekend In Philly Meseret Defar To Make Her Half Marathon Debut Versus Shalane Flanagan Great matchups on the men's and women's side. We're glad to see the Rock N Roll Series wants to stay in the competitive running
sphere. Defar raced infrequently in Europe this summer but won the 3k at the Continental Cup last weekend. Doubtful she's been doing much half training,
but she has run 14:12 for 5k.
*defar VS flanagan....who ya got?
This Weekend In Philly Ryan Hall Vs. Gebre Gebremariam Vs. Abderrahim Goumri Gebremariam, the 2009 World XC champ, has been tearing up the roads in 2010, winning everything in sight. Hall, however, has the best half PR of the group.
Brendan Foster Reflects About The Great Run's 30 Years Of Greatness Haile G will make his great run in the 30th year. The race is the world's largest half marathon and Europe's most popular race.
- Gatorade Bolt Lemon Ice Now Available Get on a plane and get to Australia, as it's only available there.
- Allyson Felix Contemplating 200/400 Double At Next Year's Worlds Felix: "[The Diamond League] definitely was difficult, but I don't think it was anywhere near to what the next couple of years will be (like)."
Rock N Roll Marathon People - Please Read This
One Of New Zealand's Most Popular Road Races Only Costs Just $15
It also only has 400 people and is 66km long but we like it.
Desiree Davila Talks About Her Preparations For Chicago She's running Chicago instead of NY, which also is the US champs, and could give her a $40,000 payday (Shalane Flanagan, however, is running NY).
Athens Marathon Celebrating Its 2,500th Anniversary This Year
- Usain Bolt Off To Australia, He'll Begin Training Again October 4th, His Coach Is Building Him A Grass Hill To Train On
- Asafa Powell Says Partying Is Out Of The Question Right Now, Reveals He Is Engaged To A Miss Universe Runner-Up We can't believe we didn't know about the Miss Universe connection. For more info on his fiancée click here.
IAAF To Reject Slap-On-Wrist Punishment For Shelly-Ann Fraser They're reportedly recommending a 6-month suspension. Considering she hasn't competed this summer, we don't see the difference.
Mottram On The Comeback Trail
One We Missed From The Weekend: Craig Mottram Beats Sub-28 Guy Chris Thompson In Britain In Road 10k Mottram, however, is not on the Australian Commonwealth team despite the fact he's rounding into form at the perfect time.
Recommended Read Meet Joe & Jim Rosa The twins from New Jersey are two of the best high schoolers in the country. Brad Hudson thinks Joe Rosa's Holmdel course record equates to the 13:30s for 5,000 as a junior in HS.
Looking Ahead To The Fall Marathons
- European Champ And LRC Favorite Viktor Röthlin Added To New York Field
- Former Boston Champ Dire Tune's Comeback To Marathon Will Be In Frankfurt On October 31st She ran six marathons in 2008 and 2009 but none so far this year.
Female Sprint News
- Olympic And World 100m Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser Escapes 2-Year Ban For Oxycodone Positive The world saw very little of arguably the top 2 female sprinters in the world (Fraser - drug problem) and Veronica Campbell-Brown (top time in 100 and 200 this year but rarely raced this year because of $$$).
- Veronica Campbell Brown Looks Back Briefly At 2010
From Across The Pond
- Recommended Read: After a quarter of a century, Koch remains untouchable This article from the Independent talks about how all the women's WRs from 100m to 800m were set in the 1980s, including a 47.60 400m and a 1:53.28 800m.
- RR: BBC's Tom Fordyce Gives His 2010 Year End Awards From performer of the year to best young performer to flop of the year, he's got you covered.
- New British Star Dai Greene Only .06 From 18-Year-Old British Record In 400m Hurdles He shocked Bershawn Jackson at the Continental Cup.
You Can Still Talk About Logan
- Australia's Forrest Gump Trying to Run from North Pole to South Pole That's not a joke.
- Steve Hooker Talks About Up and Down Year, Continental Cup and Upcoming Commonwealth Games
- Usain Bolt Has Landed in Sydney
Last Lap (Or Full Race) Of Lagat's 3k American Record (It's Super-Impressive)
More On The Boards
- Why is it that cyclists wear their fancy racing uniforms at any chance they get?
- defar VS flanagan....who ya got?
Willis 3:35, Webb 3:36
Recent Photo Gallery: Milan
Of Possible Interest On The Boards
- Former Pro Tennis Player Justin Gimelstob Gets $10,000 If He Runs 4:45 Or Better In NYC
- Rojo: So I was crossing the Canadian-US Border Returning To the US........
- Sub 5 minute Mile or Sub 3 hour Marathon. Which is a better achievement?
Congrats To One Of The Good Guys
Pete Julian Named Washington State XC Coach Julian was one of the guys who helped bring the US XC Champs to Boulder.
Glorified Practice Season Underway (More Results Here)
- Washington Men And Women Win Dual Vs. Washington State
- Arkansas Men Sweep Top 10 Places In Dual Meet
- Aussie Marathoner Lee Troop Wins CU Time Trial
- Wisconsin Men Sweep
- Stanford Men And Women Don't Sweep
- Duke Men And Women Sweep Top 5
- Mark Wetmore Speaks After Win