NCAA News - Oregon The Big NCAA Newsmakers
Vin Lananna - "I think we moved the needle last week." We agree. The meet and interest in Eugene/Oregon were incredible.
*Reader Photo: Wheating After His 800 Win Most intense moment of the meet.
Utah Addition Makes It A 12-PAC Article points out: no men's track for Utah.
NCAA Indoor/Outdoor Mile/1,500 Champ Charlotte Browning Pays Tribute To Kelly Holmes and "On Camp" Scheme Says Holmes' program stuck by her through tough times. Suggests UK needs to be more loyal to athletes in general.
Good Reads For HS, College Kids Looking For Perspective
- Interview With Morgan Uceny, 4:04.1 At adidas Grand Prix College and high school kids, there are some great articles for you to read today. Uceny, Employee #1's former teammate at Cornell, talks about not making varsity her freshman year and making NCAAs the next. Teammate Anna Pierce tabs Uceny as the top American up-and-comer.
- Gabriele Anderson Overcomes Cancer, Runs To NCAA 1,500m Runner-Up Finish The quote of the day is about perspective. Now graduated, Anderson will run at USAs next weekend.
- Gary Reed Taking A Down Year Between Worlds And Olympics Will he be able to come back after a light year? It's not easy.
Upcoming - No Big Meets This Weekend!!! (First Time Since New Year's)
- Steamboat 4-Miler This Weekend Peter Kamais and Ridouane Harroufi are the likely favorites and Jorge Torres and Antonio Vega lead the US men's challengers.
- Kenya Announces Little Brother Of Moses And Linet Masai As Member Of World Junior Team Will Dennis Masai be the next world phenom?
- USA Mountain Running Team Will Be Selected At Mount Washington Look for Max King to excel on the mountain run.
- Tennessee's Crazy 8s 8k Announces July Field
Oh, We Forgot ...
SPAR European Team Champs ...
and New Balance Nationals ...
Nike New Balance Nationals Results (HS nationals in N.C.) Matt Mizereck (14:37) and Katherine Walker win 5,000s.
Farah Gets Nutrition Figured Out, Eager To Help Brits At European Team Champs In Bergen Farah ran 27:28 this year and some more disciplined training in Kenya has him ready again.
*Preview Of European Team Champs - Chambers, Farah Lead GBR Runners
Brit Chris Thompson Is Pumped And Dreaming Big After His 27:29 Healthy for the first time in a long time and reinvigorated by OTC coach Mark Rowland, Thompson is doing well.
Team Race Down To Russia v Germany? Brits lost some of their top runners who don't want to compete. Consistent Olympic and world champion Andreas Thorkildsen is the top name for host Norway.
- Disappointing News: Andrew Wheating Won't Run USAs Galen Rupp will run the 10k, but Wheating is too tired according to Lananna.
- We Can't Disagree With The Logic College Track Has Too Many All-Americans "When the USTFCCCA hands out 428 All-America citations, the award doesn't mean much."
- AJ Acosta Predicted The Morning Of The Race He'd Get Third His prediction came from how many tries it took him to make a shot on a mini B-Ball hoop. We guess he's a better shot than he thinks.
Tyson Gay In The News
- Tyson Gay Says New False Start Rule Could Hurt Sprint Races
- Tyson Gay Diary He says he's not injured but not totally healthy. Describes the problem as "muscle soreness."
LRC The Week That Was We travel the globe from Rome to New York to Eugene tell you how Oregon could have won, how Florida may have really won (if it wasn't for a blown call), but how Texas A&M really did win. Along the way, we talk about those that struggled last week and shined, including Nancy Langat, Jeff Demps, Pat Henry, Nick Symmonds, Andrew Wheating, Lisa Koll and of course Oklahoma State cross-country. Plus we talk about Bernard Lagat's future at 10k and more.
At Age 39, Allen Johnson Is Still Hungry His goal is to break 13.20, which undoubtedly will be an age group record.
NCAA Team Title Decided By Tiny Margin (Or Should It Have Been A Tie?)
Boards: NCAA Shot Put mismeasured? Should Florida have won?
Florida's Mesic: "I'm third, but they put me at fourth. They did a mistake, the officials. I cannot believe it, that that happened at nationals."
*Did Shot Put Mismeasurement Cost Florida Share Of NCAA Men's Title? Register Guard
*More Debate: Was Oregon's Gergel Robbed In The Pole Vault? trackandfieldnews.com
LRC NCAA Final Day - Oregon 1, 2, 3 In 1,500; A&M Squeaks Out Sweep
Andrew Wheating became the first male in over 25 years to win the 800/1,500 double, Texas A&M got their 2nd-straight team double, David McNeill showed again he has a better kick than Sam Chelanga and a record number of fans saw the 2010 NCAA championships in Eugene. Plus, AJ Nation came up with a ridiculous kick to put the icing on the cake for Oregon's milers and Calvin Smith almost set a world record trying to win the title for the Gators in the 4 x 4.
More: An Actual Track Meet That Wasn't 90% Boring ...
*Record-Setting Oregon Crowd Wows Athletes The crowd was packed and into it all weekend.
*Queen Harrison First Woman To Win Both Hurdle Events At NCAAs Whiting, Wheating, Koll and Okagbare were the other double individual winners.
*More Quotes From Ron Bellamy's Article On Meet-Defining 1,500m Final It did look like AJ could have won it but who wouldn't start celebrating if they knew their team was going 1-3 at NCAAs?
LRC Day 3 Recap - Wheating!!!
*LRC Photos Days 1 & 2
Saying he'd never been more nervous for a race, Andrew Wheating delivered the goods in the biggest race of the 2010 NCAA championships by winning the 800m final by over 1 second in 1:45.69. Lisa Koll also came through with a big win as she did what even Sally Kipyego couldn't and won the 10k/5k double, causing NCAA XC champ Angela Bizzarri to sit down on the infield with 1,400m to go. Other winners included Phoebe Wright, Jeff Demps in a sub-10, Ashton Eaton barely missing the NCAA decathlon record and Matt Hughes in the steeple.
Elites: This Artwork May Help You Get Funded
USATF Auctioning Artwork Honoring Legends - Prints Going For $2,500 Eccentric javelin thrower Roald Bradstock made this piece being sold on ebay Today, Friday at 1:30 Eastern. Can you identify every runner from this enlarged picture?
Must Read For Coaches: Stephanie Hightower, USATF, Responds To Coaching Registry Criticism
NCAA Awards - Oregon, Distance Runners Dominate
Coaches Name Lisa Koll NCAA Track Athlete Of The Year Koll set an NCAA 10k record and destroyed the fields at NCAAs. But what about this record setter?
Queen Harrison USATF Athlete Of The Week - Beaten By Koll In USTFCCCA Voting Hokie Queen Harrison became first woman to win both hurdles events at NCAAs.
Eaton And Whiting Named Co-Field Male Athletes Of The Year Can't argue with these 2 studs sharing the award.
*Wheating Named USTFCCCA D-1 Track AOY, Ducks Top Team
We Were Thinking: Latest Results Show Ashton Eaton May Be World #1 Among Healthy Decathletes Eaton's 8400+ points at NCAAs were impressive considering he was "off" in most of the non-running events (he wears tennis shoes to shot put).
Friday Random Links Section (This Should Get You Through The Afternoon)
- Missoula Marathon Offering Free Entry To Marathoner From Delaware To Complete All 50 States Post on the message boards if you find someone to do it.
- NY Daily News: 13-Year-Old Girl Runner Invited To NYC Mini 10k Some are saying 55 miles a week and relatively rigid training are "too much." Oh well, she's run 17:00 for 5k and got to go meet her heroes. If she was recovering from cancer, there would be no controversy. Could be worse.
- White House Sends Rep To NYRR To Urge Kids To Get Active But not as active as the kid above.
- Stats Say Running Numbers Are Recession-Proof More $$$ being spent on shoes, more people running, more people racing ... more people visiting LetsRun.com, too.
- IAAF Inks Samsung As Major Diamond League Sponsor A big relief for IAAF but we're wondering how low they had to go.
- South African Man Killed By Family Members For Changing The Channel To World Cup Game What would they have done to him if he was trying to watch an NBC Diamond League broadcast?
- Cartoon Narration Of Guy Trying To Make NCAA 5k A reader sent this to us and we chuckled (because we've kind of been there).
- Good Piece On Last Oregon State Male Track Guy To Make NCAAs - Karl Van Calcar 1988 Football player/high jumper Jordan Bishop became the latest guy this year.
LRC Exclusive: An Inside Look At The After Effects Of The Rome Golden Gala Fiasco At 400 Meters With their focus on NCAAs, many Americans missed out on one of the more bizarre episodes in track and field history as four runners were nearly wiped off the track by the overheard television camera on the giant arm, which mistakenly swept onto the track in the middle of the men's 400.
Women's Marathon News
- Shalane Flanagan Will Make Marathon Debut In NYC The Olympic 10k medallist realizes it's time to try to the marathon. *Message Board Thread On This Here.
- Athens Olympic Marathon Victor Mizuki Noguchi Plans Comeback Given the poor state of women's marathoning right now, we can see why she's tempted to come back.
- Future Marathoner: Lisa Koll One Of 3 Finalists For Broderick Cup The award, which comes out Monday, is given to the collegiate woman athlete of the year.
Tyson Gay And Usain Bolt Both In The News
- Tyson Gay: Talk Is Cheap; It's Time For Me To Put Up (And Beat Bolt) Or Shut Up On beating Bolt: "I have to do it or shut up."
- Even World Cup Stars Love Bolt: Steven Gerrard Really Looks Up To Usain Bolt - "He's a winner, an inspiration, a character and someone I love watching." Gerrard sent Bolt his jersey but is upset that Bolt is a Man U fan.
- More Sprint News
Dwain Chambers Looking To Crush France's White Sprint Hope At This Week's European Team Championships The French press calls their sprinter the "Blonde Bullet" & "White Lightning." *Andy Baddeley Is Skipping Team Champs And UK Coach Isn't Happy
- Jamaica's Jermaine Gonzales Ran 44.79 In France A PR and #3 in the world as he beat a tired Angelo Taylor.
- World Junior 100m Champion Dexter Lee Is Double Winner At Jamaican Juniors He won the 100 (10.20) and 200 (20.86). *JAAA Natl. Jr. Full Results
To The Victor Go The Spoils
LRC $20,010 Prediction Contest Recap A former 800m runner for Frank Gagliano's Georgetown Hoyas came out on top of our NCAA prediction contest. The top 5 were filled out by a genius, a current D1 runner, an ex CU buff, and a high schooler formerly coached by American record holder for 800m Johnny Gray.
USATF Coaching Registry Labeled "Blackmail"
Track And Field News Editorial On New USATF Coaching Registration Says Many Top Coaches Uttering "Blackmail" trackandfieldnews.com
In order to get a coaching pass for the USATF meet this year, any US track coach now has to go through the coaching credential process which involves a 5-fold background check and signing a code of conduct. The USTFCCCA has issued a statement saying they neither support nor helped develop the program, while longtime USA Coaches Education leaders resigned this year as the USATF developed this program.
*USATF Announces "Groundbreaking" Registry
Odds And Ends
- Texas Decision Keeps Nucleus Of Big 12 Conference Intact Colorado (and their XC team) will join the PAC-10, which is now expected to go after Utah as the 12th team. Reports indicate money, not a distance running super conference, were the principal motives behind the move.
- Caster Semenya To Join 3-Week Training Camp Put On by Her Sports Training Academy Semenya is the president of her academy and bringing in young South Africans to train.
More Weekend Results
- Abubaker Kaki Runs 1:43.48 In Turin He backs up his 1:42 defeat from Oslo.
- Max King And Sopagna Eap Win Inaugural USATF Half Marathon Trail Championships In Bend, OR King is heading east this weekend for the famous Mount Washington Road Race.
Diamond League Comes To The Big Apple *Diamond Photos
LRC adidas Grand Prix Recap *LRC Photos
Lukas Verzbicas won the Jim Ryun mile in 4:04 while Bernard Lagat showed he's lost a little speed in the 1,500 (and Manzano ran 3:33). Christin Wurth-Thomas was the only runner in the hot women's 1,500 to go with the rabbits but got swallowed up by Nancy Langat and the field nonetheless.
*Recap From Meet *adidas Results
In Case You Missed It
Final Regional Analysis - We Show You The Hard Data And Argue For Pure Regionals
LRC Editorial: The Case For (Pure) Regionals By comparing regionals to the NCAA basketball tournament, we tell you why we think the Pure Regional system of qualifying for NCAAs is a winner and tell the BCS coaches to stop whining.
LRC Exclusive Unbiased Research Of Current And Proposed 24/8 Regional System: Men
LRC Exclusive Unbiased Research Of Current And Proposed 24/8 Regional System: Women
We have finished up hours and hours of research and analyzed how the first year of Pure Regionals worked out. We show you what percent of the top 10 and top 24 on the descending order list in each event (and event group) made it to the show in Eugene. We also conclude our analysis of the 24/8 Plan and show you which conferences would benefit from that proposed plan the most. See how many (if any) of the conference champions that might get in next year, got in this year.
AJ Says He Didn't Let Wheating Have It (Some Disagree)
Kaki's 1:43.48 In Turin
Men's 1,500 Final - Oregon Thrills Fans With Sweep
Asafa Powell Leaving Nike Nike reportedly cut the less-marketable Asafa Powell's annual guarantee from $750k down to $300k and word is Li Ning of China is stepping in to add the currently on-form Jamaican to their Thorkildsen and Isinbayeva stable of track stars. Hard to believe, but Nike now won't represent any of the top 3 men's sprinters in the world.
*IAAF Chat: Powell Says Big Times And Big News Are Coming