US Distance Runners In Action On Thanksgiving
LRC Photos From Meb Keflezighi's Appearance In The Macy's T-Giving Day Parade With Miss America Meb on the event: "My kids couldn't sleep, I couldn't sleep ... I was so excited, I thought I was running a major event this morning." Perhaps Meb asked Miss America questions such as, "Now that you are Miss America, what will you do to help solve the home foreclosure crisis?"
Manchester Road Race Searchable Results We are surprised how deep the men's field was.
Men: 1. Haron Lagat 21:40; 2. Patrick Smyth 21:41; 3. David Jankowski 21:44
Women: 1. Alemtsehay Misganaw 25:26; 2. Amy Rudolph 25:27; 3. Teyba Naser 25:31
An NCAA Meet To Remember
Nike Coaching Award Goes To ... Alberto Salazar!
Salazar Named Nike Coach Of The Year By USATF Sure, it's a little comedic that it's an award sponsored by Nike, but Alberto Salazar has done a fantastic job coaching and mentoring Amy Yoder-Begley, Galen Rupp, Kara Goucher and Dathan Ritzenhein, to name a few.
LRC Threads: *Salazar - Named Nike Coach of the Year by USATF *Meb wins NYCM, Rowbury medals at Berlin WC, and Al Sal didn't coach them yet he gets NIKE Coach of the Year?
Saturday, November 28 *** 3 Of 4 Foot Locker Champs Qualifiers
- Foot Locker Northeast *Meet Page
- Foot Locker South *Meet Page
- Foot Locker Midwest *Meet Page
- West comes next weekend.
NCAA D1 XC Championships Results & Post-Race Media Coverage
Results: *Men's Ind. *Men's Team *Women's Ind. *Women's
Team *LRC: Updated and Expanded Photos
LRC Prediction Contest Scores
Column Of 2009 Champions
Dave Smith Explains Team And German Fernandez Performances Apparently, world junior indoor mile record-holder German Fernandez was struggling with an injury, but ran the best he could for the team. Smith credits Girma Mecheso - who struggled all year - with the clutch performance of the meet for Ok. St.
Don't Know Angela Bizzarri? Here's Your Chance To Learn About A Top American Runner
- FSU Coach Karen Harvey Says Bizzarri's Dream Come True Could Not Have Happened To A Better Person Harvey (wife of Canadian miler Kevin Sullivan) now coaches Susan Kuijken, who dramatically surrendered the lead in the final moments, but coached Bizzarri as a freshman at Illinois.
- Angela Bizzarri's Profile From Illini Website Bizzarri almost made the US Worlds team at 5,000m last year but still thought she hardly had a chance at winning Monday.
- Cincinnati Paper Has Photos Of Angela Bizzarri From 2002 - 2009 Photos include a shot of Bizzarri getting outsprinted for the Ohio Division 1 state cross-country championship and a bunch of other high school photos from the former Mason, Ohio athlete.
'Nova Completes Perfect Dream Season
Nice Article On Coach Gina Procaccio And Villanova Using Laughter And Relaxation Women's stat of the year: No team that ran against Villanova this year finished their 3rd runner before Villanova finished their 5th. Congrats on a dream season come true. Also props to Amanda Marino finishing as 'Nova's first runner for the first time this year.
Sam Chelanga Crushes Field In Record 28:41 - Oklahoma State Wins Nail-Biter Team Title w/ 5th Man German F In 97th
*Dick Patrick's USA Today Write-Up Of NCAA D1 XC Championships
*LRC: Photos From NCAA XC Championships
As we've been predicting all year, Oklahoma State won the men's team title at the NCAA XC Championship meet. But the way they did it - winning by a narrow margin as crucial 5th man German Fernandez placed 97th (!) - was a shock. Also a surprise was the peak performance of the veteran Oregon Duck team, which almost snagged a 3rd consecutive NCAA team XC title after a dismal season up until Monday (only 1% of LRC voters picked Oregon to win in our prediction contest). Near unanimous nationally #1-ranked Stanford showed that all good things must come to an end, as their dream season turned into a nightmare as they finished an unbelievable 10th as a team (but don't say we didn't see it coming). Team scores at halfway? 1. Ok St. 93 2. Stanford 99. Unreal. Individually nobody could touch Sam Chelanga (he went out in 14:09 at 5k). David McNeill almost broke Galen Rupp's course record finishing 25 seconds behind Chelanga and just in front of an exhausted Chris Derrick, who beat Chelanga at Pre-NCAAs 5 weeks ago with a big kick. See the splits for Ok State, Stanford and Oregon below to see why Ok State deserved the title.
Who Ran Smartest?
Ok State Splits: (Place, 1st 5k, 2nd 5k, Difference)
Ryan Vail (9th) 14:47, 14:53 (+6)
Colby Lowe (10th) 14:48, 14:54 (+6)
John Kosgei (13th) 14:48, 15:00 (+16)
Girma Mecheso (28th) 14:47, 15:26 (+39)
German Fernandez (97th) 15:08, 15:45 (+37)
Stanford Splits: (Place, 1st 5k, 2nd 5k, Difference)
Chris Derrick (3rd) 14:38, 14:36 (-2)
Elliot Heath (38th) 14:48, 15:31 (+43)
Jake Riley (54th) *no splits
Miles Unterreiner (117th) 15:10, 15:55 (+45)
Justin Marpole-Bird (216th) 15:23, 17:00 (+97)
Brendan Gregg (222nd) 15:41, 17:23 (+102)
Ben Johnson (230th) 15:15, 19:06 (+231)
Oregon Splits: (Place, 1st 5k, 2nd 5k, Difference)
Luke Puskedra (21st) 14:46, 15:16 (+30)
Matt Centrowitz (27th) 14:54, 15:16 (+22)
Kenny Klotz (29th) 14:54, 15:20 (+26)
Danny Mercado (31st) 14:54, 15:22 (+28)
Diego Mercado (61st) 15:04, 15:31 (+27)
Latest International Results:
*Llodio, Spain IAAF Cross-Country Results - Linet Masai Wins Women's Race
*Japan-Based Gideon Ngatuny Runs 59:50 PR In Nagoya Half Marathon Ho-hum, just another sub-1 hour half marathon.
NCAA XC *World Famous Make Your Predictions In The LRC NCAA XC Contest
*Meet Will Be Live At 12 Noon On Versus *Also Streamed Live Here
The NCAAs That Were (link coming soon) The Week That Was focuses on one thing for the most part, as last week the world of US distance running was dominated by one thing - NCAA cross-country. We break it all down for you and tell you who flopped (a ton of teams/individuals), who excelled (very few), and what to expect in 2010. Along the way, we talk about mid-d runners Andrew Wheating and Dorian Ulrey, give major props to Gina Procaccio and to the one team that seemingly did well on Monday (Villanova) and tell you why close to 75% of women All-Americans and 60% of men All-Americans had better start getting nervous.
From World's Fastest Man To Prison - Two Of The Most Interesting Reads You'll Find All Year
Recommended Read Tim Montgomery Talks About His Relationship With Marion Jones Montgomery pulls no punches in describing the real Marion Jones (not the cute, crying Marion Jones on Oprah). Really a fascinating read.
Recommended Read Tim Montgomery Talks About Why He Cheated, Life In Jail, His Regrets And Lessons Montgomery describes dealing heroin and crack on the streets as a kid, being completely jealous of Maurice Greene (who he then claims was using drugs), and the rough stuff he went through as he moved from prison to prison.
4 Positive Stories For American Track Fans
1. US Decathlete Trey Hardee Wins $30,000 For IAAF Series Win Hardee, being lifted by his competitors after his surprisingly dominant World Championships win in Berlin, gets a great prize for basically being the most consistent decathlete in the world in 2009.
2. Recommended Read: HS Junior Joe Rosa Runs 14:56 At Holmdel 5:07, 4:48, 4:33 were Rosa's mile splits on the legendary NJ course. He's a junior and his twin brother Jim Rosa became the 2nd-fastest ever on the course in 15:15.
3. Meb To Ride Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Float With Another Great Champion - Miss America He's married, ma'am. *Must-Read: Meb Keflezighi Profile In Wall Street Journal
4. Possible Usain Bolt, Tyson Gay, Asafa Powell 100m Race At 2010 Reebok NYC Games Chance to see the greatest sprinters of our time square off in the Big Apple.
USA Chiba Ekiden Runners: Clubs, Colleges, Splits, Leg Winners
- Jordan Horn, (McMillan Elite, Cal St., Fullerton)
5k, 13:53, 8th (13:23, Craig Mottram)
- Meghan Armstrong, (Strands/Team USA Minnesota, U. Of Iowa)
5k, 16:18, 7th (15:09, Yuriko Kobayashi)
- Ian Burrell, (McMillan Elite, U. Of Georgia)
10k, 29:14, 4th (29:07, Kensuke Takezawa)
- Lindsey Allen, (McMillan Elite, Stanford)
5k, 16:28, 4th (15:34, Yukiko Akaba)
- Andrew Carlson, (McMillan Elite, Minnesota)
10k, 29:20, 4th (28:57, Atsushi Sato)
- Jennifer Donovan, (New Balance Boston, Boston College)
7.195k, 24:29, 5th (23:12, Hikari Yoshimoto)
- USATF Summary *IAAF Summary
Interesting NCAA Post-Race Coverage
- Vin Lananna Thrilled With Oregon Men, Says Women Had A Tough Day Danny Mercado, Matt Centrowitz and Kenny Klotz had career-best XC races and ran together the whole way. Oregon failed to win Dellinger, PAC-10s or West Regional, but almost won the national title.
- Arkansas Dynasty Over - 3rd Runner Finishes 197th Mile specialist Dorian Ulrey, who finished 6th behind Chris Derrick and 4 foreigners, stamped himself as one of the most all-around talented American runners.
- Palo Alto Paper: It All Fell Apart For Stanford Justin Marpole-Bird had a great season, including 3rd finisher in the West Regional, but finished 216th on Monday.
- Mark Wetmore Reflects On Women/Men Performances Colorado finished 6th on the men's side, led by Christian Thompson, but without star Kenyon Neuman and a sick Matt Tebo. The Buffs finished 20th on the women's side with Barringer's troubles and would only have been 11th if she had won.
- Key NCAA XC Finishers Results A good reference to see where the big players finished.
Think Bolt Is Dirty? Foremost World Anti-Doping Expert Doesn't
Argument Ender? Swedish And IAAF Doping Expert, Former High Jump Great Arne Ljungvist Says Usain Bolt Is Absolutely Clean These quotes come from
one of the most informed doping experts in the world, who has handled many of Usain Bolt's samples and results. Expert: "Usain Bolt is completely clean. We have so much of his data which cannot be manipulated."
*Usain Bolt And Sanya Richards Are IAAF Athletes Of The Year
*Photos From The Glamorous 2009 IAAF Awards Gala
American Sanya Richards was announced as IAAF's 2009 Female Athlete Of The Year and of course Mr. Usain Bolt received the men's honor at the Gala red carpet event. Photos of the top stars in their best attire. Attendees included Kenenisa Bekele, Blanka Vlašić, Yelena Isinbayeva, Asafa Powell and, to the delight of track and field fans, Berlino.
News From Japan
Recommended Read Chance To Learn About A
Unique Elite/Popular Running Group - Tokyo-Based Second Wind AC as
Described By Knowledgeable LetsRun Visitors Brett Larner and Pat Butcher Training format that just seems to make sense... and is producing excellent results.
Rust "Buster" - Mottram Returns With Zip
*New: Reaction To Craig Mottram's Return 13:23 on the roads in a 5k in Japan. Awesome.
*Japanese Juggernaut Runs Over Chiba Ekiden Competition
*IAAF: Japan Takes Chiba Ekiden Title And Mottram Impresses
*Photos Of The 2009 Chiba Ekiden - Mottram Returns
Aussie 12:55 5ker Craig "Buster" Mottram returned to competition after a long layoff due to Achilles pain. Working under a new coach after his tumultuous split with Nic Bideau, Mottram sure had a great first race. He ran the first leg of the International Chiba Ekiden in Japan and clocked a blistering 13:23 for 5,000m to win by 60m over good competition. Host Japan won the race on a national holiday in Japan.
Women: Jenny Barringer Collapses During The Race But Gets Up To Finish - Villanova Team Championship Caps Stunning Year!
*LRC: Photos From NCAA XC Championships
*Women's Individual Results
*Women's Team Results
After Sam Chelanga drained the individual drama from the men's race, the women's individual race was ALL drama, as huge favorites Jenny Barringer and Susan Kuijken played the roles of tragic heroes. The surprise winner was Illinois star Angela Bizzarri. Despite 0 LRC voters picking her for 1st, she played all her cards perfectly to get a fairy tale victory.
Perfect Team: The Villanova women did what the Stanford men couldn't do: complete the perfect season despite nobody picking them at the season's start. After finishing 6th last year as a team and graduating their best runner in Frances Koons (a LetsRun.com fan), the Wildcats and coach Gina Procaccio trounced everyone with 5 in the top 26 team scorers and the reign of short-lived powerhouse Washington ended. The Huskies finished 3rd. The biggest shock? Pre-Nats race-winners Colorado women finished 20th.
Amazing Day-After Interview With Jenny Barringer
2009 NCAA D1 XC Championship Results
*Men's Team Results
*Men's Individual Results
*Women's Team Results
*Women's Individual Results
D2: *DII Men Complete Results
*DII Women Complete Results
D3: *WTeam *WIndiv
Vin Lananna Post-NCAAs
NCAA Champ Angela Bizzarri
FSU's Susan Kuijken After Losing Big Lead In Final Minutes
Usain Bolt's ESPN Commercial Released
New LRC Readers' Book Reviews
From Last To First, A Race Like No Other, And See Dane Run From Last To First is the autobiography on English marathon record holder Charlie Spedding, A Race Like No Other is NY Times Writer Liz Robbins' take on the NYC Marathon, and See Dane Run recounts a guy who ran a marathon a week for a year.