Tarheel hero wrote:
Favorites for UNC position:
1. Brad Herbster-if he wants it, the job is his. Has had success everywhere he goes and has deep roots in Carolina.
2. Matt Sparks-well respected (except of course from a letsrun hater or two). Great candidate. Wants to stay at notre dame but if he is not retained could land on his feet in chapel hill.
3. Sean Carlson-similar situation to Sparks. Not as successful but boasts a good resume. Would do as well as most people in this position.
4. Ryan Walling-put in time as VA for years at ol miss. Unc roots. Great person. Learned from the best. Unc should go here if Herbster and Sparks are not available.
5. Todd Morgan-has a bullet-proof resume. Has had success at big schools. Great person. Team player.
6. Lisa Senakiewich-one if the most underrated coaches in the power 5. Has been instrumental in success at MSU. If she went hard for this job she has to be a favorite. Probably won’t leave comfort of current program for something so unstable though.
7. Hakon Devries-if Edrick goes in another direction at UT, Hakon will need a job. Stays relatively close to UK and has the resume to get the job.
8. Gavin Kennedy-unlikely he will leave Wisconsin but this could be compelling enough situation for him to pull the trigger. Obsioualy qualified for the gig.
9. Tony Houchin-maybe too much drama with last boss for him to get the nod but a qualified coach and no doubt a great opportunity for him.
10. David Freeman-did a little with a little at USC. Probably wouldn’t be a good fit for xc but if they are going after mid-d a little stronger and if he knows the right people and if he wants to get back in the game, I could see him ending up at UNC.
Jason Drake-long shot because of his ties to the west and probably couldn’t uproot his family like that for possibly only a year job BUT he would excel in this position!
Joe Lynn-close to home. Long lists of success. Moves around frequently. Long shot but...???
Why it won’t be...
Van Hoy-too much money at Ole Miss and not enough stability with head coach on the hot seat at unc. Will wait until the right opportunity.
Roberts-not enough experience. Can’t imagine any situation. Where he gets this job unless Meaders really likes him and really trusts that he can get the job done OR really just wants a ‘yes man’ who will not need resources.
Who really knows though...
Yes, but any one of these hires would be smart to keep Roberts on as an assistant.