Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
2lapmaster
Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/1/2004 9:13PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'll let others add to this thread about Lydiard's and Wetmore comments, but here are just a few gems:

Lydiard:

Responding to an audience member's question about what he tells his athletes about dealing with pain

"They don't have pain, they enjoy running."

How he developed his training methods.

"It took me twelve years to find balance (in my training). I don't have any specific theories...I have tried everything."

Wetmore:

"Excuse me if I sound hoarse, but I have a head cold. Usually head colds are due to changes in the weather, but in my case, it is due to a change in attitude on letsrun.com"

About the freshening up (tapering) stage of Lydiard's training with regard to his coaching:

"Ten days before a big race [Nationals?], I told my team, "The hay is in the barn." I asked them, "Do you know what that means?"

Billy Nelson replied, "Let's eat it!"
Clementine
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/1/2004 9:39PM - in reply to 2lapmaster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Lydiard definitely has some funny remarks.
nippon marathon
Question 12/1/2004 9:42PM - in reply to 2lapmaster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How old was the wife he brought with him this time? Or is he on the prowl (Lydiard, that is)?
little red
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/1/2004 9:42PM - in reply to Clementine Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It was a good experience to see lydiard in person, but if you read his book and seen those tapes before then it was pretty redundent.
wondering
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/1/2004 9:47PM - in reply to little red Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
On the video that demonstrated hill work...both men were wearing spikes...when doing bounding and knee kicks, are you supposed to wear spikes?
TheYoungOne
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/1/2004 9:49PM - in reply to wondering Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
if you are on grass yes
nippon marathon
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/1/2004 9:54PM - in reply to TheYoungOne Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm on grass at all times, so should I always wear spikes? OOOHHH... you mean running on grass. Well, forget it.
LaWoof
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/1/2004 10:07PM - in reply to nippon marathon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you are goiing to race in spikes, you should be training in spikes.

He spoke of thick rubber soles and flexable shoes. This is what our shoes should be like. My trainers are spikes that I had a thick rubber soles attached to. Grind off the plate, attach the sole. There are your trainers for dailt running. If you are on grass, go ahead and use the spikes for traction.

Great talk tonight, just confirmed many of the things that I have been implementing into my training.

Also did a good job of debunking some of the tricky #'s games that too many people chase durring training.
i'm so lonery
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/1/2004 10:10PM - in reply to 2lapmaster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
the best non physiologically related moment of the night was when lydiard was talking about how he went up to korea to show them his methods, and said, "i tried to eat their food, but it looked like a bowl of snot."

the second best, slightly more related to running, was when he was semi-debunking the theory of training by heart-rate, specifically always taking your morning pulse, and said (something along the lines of) "it'll fluctuate from day to day, depending on who you slept with that night."

ahhhh, arthur.
LaWoof
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 1/1/2005 1:01AM - in reply to i'm so lonery Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How f***ing pathetic are we that we run home and hop on letsrun to see what the chatter is.

Great remark from Wetmore about letsrun. Now if he would only get his runners out of those big silly shoes and training in the proper footwear.

Who was that dude asking about pain? has he never been in a race before? has he never trained for something before? What a strange question.
CO-Runner
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/1/2004 10:33PM - in reply to LaWoof Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Some of what I gathered ... paraphrased by me, feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Miles, miles and more miles.

2-3 hour long run every week.

Don't worry about buildup ... just get out and do it.

No off days, recovery time between seasons - easy running for a couple of weeks.

Listen to your "internal coach".

If you can't do the mileage, slow down, intinally, then increase the pace.

As LaWoof mentioned, minimal shoes.

You should run your hard runs at a pace where you know that you could run faster.

You can't race well if you are training hard.

*It was incredible to see so many good people all gathered in one place. Many undisclosed Letsrun.com folks.
CO-Runner
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/1/2004 10:45PM - in reply to CO-Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Many thanks to Fleet Feet in Boulder, what a great event!

Many thanks to coach Glenn for not giving me too much grief for failing to mention his training group.
hser
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/1/2004 10:46PM - in reply to 2lapmaster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

2lapmaster wrote:
"Excuse me if I sound hoarse, but I have a head cold. Usually head colds are due to changes in the weather, but in my case, it is due to a change in attitude on letsrun.com"

whow..letsrun taking over the watercooler WORLD?

metioned everywhere?
Jesse Jackson
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/1/2004 11:00PM - in reply to hser Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Apparently Lydiard doesn't have much respect for blacks or Koreans.
Korean Boy
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/2/2004 12:39AM - in reply to Jesse Jackson Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Damn, I do not know a korean dish that would resemble snot...korean food is awesome.

Main korean dishes:

Dang Jang - soybean paste that resembles fresh shit - the paste is used as a soup base.

Kal Bee and other marinated meats...

Kim-chee - fermented spicy cabbage

Nang-myeun - buckwheat noodles in cold fish soup add vinegar and horseradish for taste
yo,yo ma!
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/2/2004 12:39AM - in reply to CO-Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The only thing i would say is that he mentioned to just go out and start doing it, but he also mentioned several times how it's a process and how you can go in expecting instant results.

During the marathon training phase he mentioned that you should start with 20 min of easy running and increase every third day, making sure to return to a shorter run the next day until you get up to his base marathon training program.

So, while I think you are right about getting out and doing it, I think Lydiard recognizes the need for a build-up, especially when just starting out.
Wetmore Basher
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/2/2004 4:20AM - in reply to 2lapmaster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"Excuse me if I sound hoarse, but I have a head cold. Usually head colds are due to changes in the weather, but in my case, it is due to a change in attitude on letsrun.com" -Wetmore

Once again, I have a small penis and Im sorry.
wstuart
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 1/1/2005 1:01AM - in reply to LaWoof Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

LaWoof wrote:

How f***ing pathetic are we that we run home and hop on letsrun to see what the chatter is.

What the hell does that mean? Why is it pathetic?
xc1000
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/2/2004 5:49AM - in reply to 2lapmaster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Some pictures of last night's events:

http://boulderrunning.com/gallery/lydiard
comment boy
RE: Lydiard/Wetmore Talk Recap 12/2/2004 5:53AM - in reply to CO-Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Does Ritz follow Lydiard's training methods?
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |