Pages: | 1 | 2 |
lil gurl mamacita
A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 2:27PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think it is fairly evident that the speed they've gained has been well demonstrated at 1500 through 3k as they're running incredible world beating times at these shorter distances. However, Galen couldn't hang with the pace in the Monaco 5,000 today, and Mo has had to slow races down as of late in order to stay in contention. I'm now certain that Rupp is not in sub 13 /27 shape at the moment, and I doubt that he will be this season. Farah? dunno, he's always a wild card, but I would bet that he's not as capable of running the times at 5 and 10,000 that people now extrapolate to with his recent 3:28.
on her hampton blouse
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 2:31PM - in reply to lil gurl mamacita Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
people have off-days. maybe rupp just wasn't feeling it today. to say for certain "he is not in sub13 shape right now" is kind of silly based off of one poor race.
asdfasdfa
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 2:31PM - in reply to lil gurl mamacita Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's not new found. Rupp has been working on his speed steadily since 2009 when he owned everyone in the NCAA.
rrri
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 2:34PM - in reply to on her hampton blouse Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

on her hampton blouse wrote:

people have off-days. maybe rupp just wasn't feeling it today. to say for certain "he is not in sub13 shape right now" is kind of silly based off of one poor race.

It's not based off just one race. Rupp has been running slow all season.
Observationalist
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 2:38PM - in reply to lil gurl mamacita Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

lil gurl mamacita wrote:

I think it is fairly evident that the speed they've gained has been well demonstrated at 1500 through 3k as they're running incredible world beating times at these shorter distances. However, Galen couldn't hang with the pace in the Monaco 5,000 today, and Mo has had to slow races down as of late in order to stay in contention. I'm now certain that Rupp is not in sub 13 /27 shape at the moment, and I doubt that he will be this season. Farah? dunno, he's always a wild card, but I would bet that he's not as capable of running the times at 5 and 10,000 that people now extrapolate to with his recent 3:28.

I don't know how much you can judge Rupp's fitness here, actually. Rupp's classic play is to either sit on Lagat or Farah. I'm not sure when Lagat stepped off, but that may have gotten into Rupp's head a little. Even still he worked hard, was hung out in space, and ran a well-earned 13:05. It did look like he pushed to catch the group with 5-4 laps to go, but died. I do think Rupp could have gone 12:58.9 again with a pack.
reed
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 2:43PM - in reply to Observationalist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Rupp doesn't need to be in sub 13/27 shape. He needs to be in shape to kick a 1:51 last 800 and a 51 last quarter.
rrri
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 2:46PM - in reply to reed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

reed wrote:

Rupp doesn't need to be in sub 13/27 shape. He needs to be in shape to kick a 1:51 last 800 and a 51 last quarter.

Uhhh what? If the race is won in sub13 then he will definitely need to be in sub13 shape
ohboyyeah
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 2:50PM - in reply to rrri Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This was Rupp's second best ever 5000! I'd say it's a good run leading up to his 10,000 at the WC. He's fine.
NOPing
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 2:59PM - in reply to ohboyyeah Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Elfie still has time to adjust the dosages.
killarney
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 3:05PM - in reply to lil gurl mamacita Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Agree with OP. I'm not convinced Mo and Galen could run their PRs for 5k/10k right now.
JagerShots
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 3:08PM - in reply to NOPing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Rupp just hasn't figured out the 5k yet. You'd figure a 7:30/3:50 guy could do it.
Bad Wigins
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 3:09PM - in reply to lil gurl mamacita Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
they are both far better milers than 5000 runners. They should forget distance events and just train for the mile.
rrri
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 3:11PM - in reply to JagerShots Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

JagerShots wrote:

Rupp just hasn't figured out the 5k yet. You'd figure a 7:30/3:50 guy could do it.

There is nothing to figure out. You just run.
geronnnnimoe
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 3:12PM - in reply to killarney Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

killarney wrote:

Agree with OP. I'm not convinced Mo and Galen could run their PRs for 5k/10k right now.

The OP is just sort of copying what Spblnfo guy said on another thread.
Rupperd
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 3:15PM - in reply to lil gurl mamacita Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I watched the whole race and Rupp was sitting behind Lagat. Lagat was obviously having an off day and a gap opened in front of him but Rupp left it way too long to go past Lagat and by that time it was too late as the gap was too big to close. If he had gone straight past when the gap started to open I think he would have held onto the lead group and probably would have broken 13 minutes. It was a bad tactical error, he should have just had the balls to go straight past Lagat. Having said that he showed some real guts to run on his own for most of the second half of the race and try to close the gap. 13:05 is certainly no disaster and I think he is in better shape than that from what I watched tonight.
Dennis Reynolds
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 3:15PM - in reply to geronnnnimoe Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
EPO and surgery are a hell of a combination.
rrri
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 3:19PM - in reply to Rupperd Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Rupperd wrote:

Having said that he showed some real guts to run on his own for most of the second half of the race and try to close the gap. 13:05 is certainly no disaster and I think he is in better shape than that from what I watched tonight.

No, showing guts would have been to stick with the lead pack from the beginning. Not having guts is what made him stick with Lagat instead.
nn
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 3:22PM - in reply to rrri Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There's a lot to figure out. Racing at this elite level requires tremendous coaching and effort in training. It has to be directed effort focused on doing the right types of training, intensity, duration etc. Rupp may have had an off day or he may be "training through" Monaco with the WC as his goal. Farah - I didn't see a 3:28ish time from him. What happens on race day is the tip of the pyramid. Farah executed above expectations, while Rupp ran very well, and likely has a sub 13 in him in the near future.
SHOCKED!!!
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 3:27PM - in reply to nn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Rupp failed to impress yet again showing that silver last year was a fluke produced only through a crap tactical race in a watered down field. He's not a sub 13, sub 27 guy anymore. All this speed bs has turned him into a slower runner who's only chance is a 13:20, 27:40 or slower type race where he can kick. He's turned into a very one dimensional runner and its reflected in his performances
rrri
RE: A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed 7/19/2013 3:30PM - in reply to nn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

nn wrote:

There's a lot to figure out. Racing at this elite level requires tremendous coaching and effort in training. It has to be directed effort focused on doing the right types of training, intensity, duration etc. Rupp may have had an off day or he may be "training through" Monaco with the WC as his goal. Farah - I didn't see a 3:28ish time from him. What happens on race day is the tip of the pyramid. Farah executed above expectations, while Rupp ran very well, and likely has a sub 13 in him in the near future.

No, don't be so dramatic. It's a 5k. It's no different than highschool or college. It's just faster.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |