Poiu
Good Book on Lincoln/Civil War? 2/10/2013 8:19PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I saw the movie Lincoln last night and realized that I don't know as much on the subject as I thought I did. There are about a million books on Lincoln and a ton on the civil war. Any history buffs around here that have read one that really stood out?
Thanks.
Ground up ascent
RE: Good Book on Lincoln/Civil War? 2/10/2013 8:24PM - in reply to Poiu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson provides an excellent overview of the Civil War.
Consider This
RE: Good Book on Lincoln/Civil War? 2/10/2013 8:49PM - in reply to Ground up ascent Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Ground up ascent wrote:

Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson provides an excellent overview of the Civil War.

+1. A good biography of Lincoln is "Lincoln", by David Herbert Donald.
woz
RE: Good Book on Lincoln/Civil War? 2/10/2013 8:57PM - in reply to Poiu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
McPherson's book is a fantastic book. Anything written by him will give you great insight on the Civil War.

The book "The Fiery Trial" will give you good insight on Lincolns view on Slavery.

Swanson wrote two great books related to Lincolns death
poiu
RE: Good Book on Lincoln/Civil War? 2/10/2013 9:10PM - in reply to woz Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
FRIENDSTEWENI
Building Your Business Blog - How to Do It and Why You Need One 2/25/2013 7:00AM - in reply to Poiu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each and every time a comment is added I get 4 emails using the same comment. Is there any way you'll be able to get rid of me from that service? Thanks!

NFL Throwback Jerseys

http://buynfljerseysgo.saputos2.com
History expert
RE: Good Book on Lincoln/Civil War? 2/25/2013 7:06AM - in reply to Poiu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Poiu wrote:

I saw the movie Lincoln last night and realized that I don't know as much on the subject as I thought I did. There are about a million books on Lincoln and a ton on the civil war. Any history buffs around here that have read one that really stood out?
Thanks.

Keep in mind that Hollywood takes liberties with some facts when they make films. This movie was not an exception.
smd
RE: Good Book on Lincoln/Civil War? 2/25/2013 7:23AM - in reply to Consider This Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Consider This wrote:

Ground up ascent wrote:

+1. A good biography of Lincoln is "Lincoln", by David Herbert Donald.

These are both great starting points. Go with them over hyped "Team of Rivals," which contains no original research.
Hush rob
RE: Good Book on Lincoln/Civil War? 2/25/2013 7:25AM - in reply to History expert Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

History expert wrote:

Keep in mind that Hollywood takes liberties with some facts when they make films. This movie was not an exception.

And of course these books are not immune to some revisionist history.
El Jefe
RE: Good Book on Lincoln/Civil War? 2/25/2013 7:47AM - in reply to Poiu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Check out "Fateful Lightning" by Allen Guelzo, it is our assigned reading for a Civil War Era Studies class at Gettyburg, so it has to be good.

But really, a very good book, very interesting.
Time to Step Up as MEN
RE: Good Book on Lincoln/Civil War? 2/25/2013 9:05AM - in reply to Poiu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The Palestinians have to look at Lincoln and the Union as an example.

The Paly Boys gots to step up if they want to be free.

Hell, 150 Million Asian died from 1500 to 1975 to liberate East Asia from European, Canadian, Australian, and American white racists.