dhaaga
Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/10/2013 3:53AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Greetings Masters. I had a good week of running -- 82 miles incl. good set of hill repeats Wednesday and federal and state taxes filed Saturday (in my next life I'm coming back as an accountant, as I do enjoy that chore).

Heading out later this morning for a hilly 5-mile race.

Best of luck with the digging out from Nemo to those of you affected. We (DC) usually get at least an attenuated version of severe Northeast weather, so it feels odd to be in touch with my sister, brother-in-law, and daughter in MA and hearing about sledding in 2.5 feet of snow and such when we got nothing.

have a great week,

Dave
RE: Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/10/2013 7:28AM - in reply to dhaaga Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My sympathy for those stuck in weather back East. Nice weather in the NW though. Another good week with preparations going nicely for my April Marathon. 80 miles this week with two significant workouts. Wednesday did 3x 2 miles at 5:36, 5:21, 5:16 pace with a 5:08 mile tacked on the end of my last rep. Yesterday 22 miles fairly relaxing avg. 6:45 pace feeling good through the end.
RB
1500Master
RE: Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/10/2013 10:11AM - in reply to dhaaga Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Pretty good week highlighted with some 400m repeats outdoors. Mostly treadmill runs, quicker pacing, arm work and sauna. The journey continues...

Have a great week!
Reno
RE: Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/10/2013 11:18AM - in reply to 1500Master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hi Masters,
Haven't posted in a while. Still not running because the Achilles pain won't seem to go away. It'll be 3 months since surgery in a few days. I did get in 6 hours on the elliptical, not including another hour+ I may do later today. At least I don't have to worry about the weather.

Happy running.

JM
Northwest master
RE: Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/10/2013 12:03PM - in reply to 58 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Rick - your training sounds like it is going solo well! Let's be healthy this year and go to Bend, Or & crush the 50's.

Running five days a week now and slowly getting running fit again. Still cross train 5-7 days - seems to be helping.

Tues - 400, 800, 400, 300, 600, 300, 200, 400, 200 (:70 pace and worked it down)

Sat - 3x 10min on wet grass

Cheers

Ty
skinnbones
RE: Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/10/2013 2:19PM - in reply to Northwest master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not much to report....didn't get slammed by snow as many in the NE did but we got 8" which causes delays and traffic issues. Week made up of 53 miles and two solid runs. One fartlek and one steady run. Healthy so that makes me happy.
socal cush
RE: Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/10/2013 2:35PM - in reply to dhaaga Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
good week of training as speed picks up.
tuesday night w/calcoast:
1000/800/600, 2:30 rest, all at 69-70 second pace;
3x400, 63/62/60--not sure of rest...

did a 4 mile solo tempo on the track friday in 21:11--proud of myself until i saw a facebook post by malcolm campbell where he said he did 10 miles around that pace as part of a 16 miler in preparation for boston, making this mid-d guy feel slow. glad boston likely conflicts with carlsbad...

next sunday night will be my only foray indoors in fresno for part of a high school meet. they have an open/masters division, so i thought i'd take a stab at the indoor 45yo record of 4:20. i think i''m in sub-4:20 shape. but not sure i'm in sub-4:20 indoor short-track (160yards) shape. i guess i'll find out...
captainrobbo
RE: Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/10/2013 3:03PM - in reply to socal cush Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wow, scarily fast training going on in a few parts of the USA...

I had one of those weeks where life makes you take a couple of easy days. Mon/Tue was a tax deadline and a ton of stuff happening at work, and yesterday involved a quadruple whammy of family stuff I won't bore you with. I got in 50 miles, with one tempo run and one treadmill session of 15x400 [45sec rest] in about 75. Probably a good thing as my legs were very tired from 4 weeks at 70, and I need to freshen up and focus on speed for the next 5 weeks.

Highlight of the week was hitting my weights room target for the winter - well, lifetime actually. I did a double bodyweight deadlift with no ill effects, which Percy Cerutty officially says is Strong Enough for a runner. Winter weights are now over, from now on it's about speed and staying mobile.

5 weeks out from Euro Masters Indoors. I'm getting nervous!
A. Bauman
RE: Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/10/2013 3:20PM - in reply to socal cush Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Excellent week of training and racing.

Tuesday---1500 4:06.46 indoors at University of Portland
Thursday---Mile 4:19.26 indoor at University of Portland
Saturday---5K Road 15:31.4 as a tempo effort

Now off to Hawaii to get away from the cold...not the 50 in the NW is anything to whine about.

Thinking about Carlsbad, but will have to beg work for the time off.
northwest master
RE: Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/10/2013 4:11PM - in reply to socal cush Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
socal - did a 4:13 on the oversized UW track at 47 (no record) but just saying. Ahrlin - nice to see you dabble in the shorter stuff as a Masters runner even though you have always been kinda of a longer stud.
Old Man by the Sea
RE: Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/10/2013 4:34PM - in reply to northwest master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Old tired and slow.
socalcush
RE: Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/10/2013 4:35PM - in reply to northwest master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
@tony--i thought you'd run faster than 4:20. of course everyone knows that UW track is like santa monica cc, hengelo, rieti, and other tracks that are notoriously "short." i guess i'll have to shoot for 4:13 to be official now...
A. Bauman
RE: Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/10/2013 4:41PM - in reply to socalcush Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
To be honest, I remeber racing...more like pacing Tony and Pete Magill some years ago where Tony dropped a 4:16 at 45. I think it was a record, but they blew my doors off. Not to mention that 4:05 Tony got some years before that. Some incredible times to say the least, that's why I respect these guys so much. I couldn't run that fast in my 30's. I figure if Cush could win an XC title last year and drop a 3:56 1500, maybe I have hope. Although I never was a 4:00 miler either.
Jazzy
RE: Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/10/2013 4:59PM - in reply to A. Bauman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wow, some pretty impressive racing and training is being put in...should make for an interesting outdoor season!!!

I'm new to the board, but I've been reading it for a while and I've drawn a great deal of motivation from the workouts, races and spirit that has been posted here.

Good week for me this week:

Sat-2 mile 9:48, young kids tore me up in the last 400
Tue-1200(3:21) 4x200(31-29)
92 miles for the week

Have a great week!!!
JC
MikeF
RE: Masters Weekend Runs and Races 2/11/2013 4:07AM - in reply to Jazzy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Shooooot, I read the times you cats are training and intending to race at and want to just crawl in a hole...or post on the age 57 track geezer board.

Won the 3000 today at Seniors meet outside of Palm Springs but was so slow they timed me with a damn sun dial...lends new meaning to FAT standards...beats the mile I raced last week where the split timer was looking at his watch and reading off August,September, October...feeling a little Rodney Dangerfield-like these days...except he'd probably lap me...in the 800.

Seriously though, now have a 1500, mile and 3000 under my belt so far this year...trying to remember how to race on the oval once again...I know, I know...just keep making lefts.

Next track race not for six weeks...we're going to host another masters mile in SF as part of the collegiate and open Johnny Mathis Invitational...its at San Francisco State University...great venue as it sits in a bowl and so is entiely windless...meet record holder from a few years back is MWR&R poster Reno...nothing at stake aside from the opportunity to crank out an early season mile time...shoot me a note if you want to be on the e-mail list as more details come forth: mfanelli@pacunion.com

Have a fine week of masters training and racing, AND, should you encounter me from behind on an oval near you, please don't holler "TRACK"...am not so old I can't still tell the diffference between a synthetic 400 meter surface and a cross country course fer chrissakes!!

MF