gone too soon....
former world 10k record holder dies.. 1/18/2013 4:38PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Henry Rono (r), training with college mate Samson Kimobwa
http://www.elatleta.com

Athletics | International

Reuters

Former 10 000m WR holder Kimobwa dies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18 January 2013, 20:35

Kenyan former 10 000 metres world record holder Samson Kimobwa died aged 58 on Wednesday after complaining of a stomach ailment the previous day, officials said on Friday.

Kimobwa set a world record time of 27 minutes 30.47 seconds on June 30, 1977 in Helsinki. The record was broken by compatriot Henry Rono a year later in Vienna when he ran 27:22.4.

"We have lost a role model, a colleague and person who inspired many young athletes," Patrick Sang, Athletics Kenya official in the Rift Valley Province and 1992 Olympic 3 000 metres steeplechase silver medallist told Reuters.

Kimobwa, a high school teacher, was among the first Kenyans to earn a track scholarship to study in the United States when he went to Washington State University in early 1970s along with the likes of Rono and John Ngeno.
pac 8 runner
RE: former world 10k record holder dies.. 1/18/2013 4:54PM - in reply to gone too soon.... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I ran against him. Of the 3 great Kenyans that ran for WSU in the early to mid 1970s, he got the least publicity it seemed.
hairnose
RE: former world 10k record holder dies.. 1/18/2013 7:21PM - in reply to pac 8 runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was at a nearby school and I used to party with him, Rono and Kimeto. Also ran at the same meets.

All fantastic athletes and great guys. Very sad, and Samson was not old.