Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
you for real, bro?
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/18/2012 9:19PM - in reply to Misandrist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Misandrist wrote:


you for real, bro? wrote:


Do you even listen to yourself? Are you actually serious when you write this stuff? Let's consider another situation:

Women getting beaten by their husbands.

Your solution: don't marry abusive men. Problem solved! Man, women who choose to get beaten sure are dumb!

That's about how stupid you sound.


I think anyone who allows themselves to be beaten is lacking sensibility. That includes the men here who claim to be victims of domestic abuse.


So if someone ever decides to hit you, it's simply because you are lacking sensiblity? I suppose the same goes for murder and rape. Anyone who allows themselves to be raped and murdered is merely lacking sense and are the ones to blame for the crimes committed against them. Riiiight...
Barney Frank
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/18/2012 9:19PM - in reply to just an observation Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The answer to the thread title question is an unequivocal "yes".
Johnny Kim
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/18/2012 9:21PM - in reply to well, consider this Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Gloria Steinem is not a lesbian. She is Christian Bale's StepMom.
Joy Behar
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/18/2012 9:27PM - in reply to Johnny Kim Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Johnny Kim wrote:

Gloria Steinem is not a lesbian. She is Christian Bale's StepMom.



You don't have to be a lesbian to hate penises.
Misandrist
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/18/2012 9:29PM - in reply to Joy Behar Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Joy Behar wrote:


Johnny Kim wrote:

Gloria Steinem is not a lesbian. She is Christian Bale's StepMom.



You don't have to be a lesbian to hate penises.


Correct. But only dicks hate lesbians.
au contraire
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/18/2012 9:46PM - in reply to well, consider this Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

well, consider this wrote:


I bet youcan guess my realname wrote:

Secret wish was to bang Gloria Steinem until she screamed in multiorgasmic delight.



She's got a girlfriend for that.


Ah, not quite. She was known in her prime for dating black men. She was not gay.
a woman's perspective
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/19/2012 12:20AM - in reply to just an observation Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Feminism is simply the idea that men and women are equal. I personally am embarrassed if a male offers to pay for something, etc. and would much rather split the check... I also don't expect anything extra just because I am a woman.

While I agree that some women may be described as above, there are still a lot of societal pressures on women (yes, there are some for men too but less so)... for example, many times women with full-time jobs are also expected to do the housework as well. Perhaps not surprisingly, studies have shown that single women tend to be happier than married women (while conversely, I think married men tend to be happier than single men). You also see a lot of these "in the kitchen", etc. stuff floating around everywhere (all over sites like Facebook, and so on) and these just further belittle women/perpetuate stereotypes that women have to constantly battle each day (as well as minorities).

There are still stereotypes/cultural reasons that discourage women from going into fields like engineering... yes, there are groups opening up to encourage women/minorities, but even now at a young age boys are steered towards computers, etc. while young girls are not. I have seen fathers actively try to discourage their daughters from going into engineering. One thing I have noticed is that in Asian culture, women are still expected to do well in school and this may be why there is a disproportionate number of Asian women in science/engineering (a more disproportionate number than the number of Asian men in these same fields).
Guppy
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/19/2012 12:32AM - in reply to a woman's perspective Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

a woman's perspective wrote:

Feminism is simply the idea that men and women are equal. I personally am embarrassed if a male offers to pay for something, etc. and would much rather split the check... I also don't expect anything extra just because I am a woman.

While I agree that some women may be described as above, there are still a lot of societal pressures on women (yes, there are some for men too but less so)... for example, many times women with full-time jobs are also expected to do the housework as well. Perhaps not surprisingly, studies have shown that single women tend to be happier than married women (while conversely, I think married men tend to be happier than single men). You also see a lot of these "in the kitchen", etc. stuff floating around everywhere (all over sites like Facebook, and so on) and these just further belittle women/perpetuate stereotypes that women have to constantly battle each day (as well as minorities).

There are still stereotypes/cultural reasons that discourage women from going into fields like engineering... yes, there are groups opening up to encourage women/minorities, but even now at a young age boys are steered towards computers, etc. while young girls are not. I have seen fathers actively try to discourage their daughters from going into engineering. One thing I have noticed is that in Asian culture, women are still expected to do well in school and this may be why there is a disproportionate number of Asian women in science/engineering (a more disproportionate number than the number of Asian men in these same fields).


I could talk with a woman like you about this all day long. Thank you! So nice and refreshing to read a calm and thoughtful response.
Sam in Oakland
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/19/2012 1:33AM - in reply to Guppy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Which feminists are we talking about here?

I hear lots of isms being thrown around but not too much specification as to who exactly these insidious feminists are. I think I might take this critique on feminism seriously if it referred to more than the straw men arguments being constructed on this thread.

So...

If we are going to be misogynistic, let's at least be up front about it.
Joisey Boy
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/19/2012 10:07AM - in reply to Sam in Oakland Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Sam in Oakland wrote:

Which feminists are we talking about here?

I hear lots of isms being thrown around but not too much specification as to who exactly these insidious feminists are. I think I might take this critique on feminism seriously if it referred to more than the straw men arguments being constructed on this thread.

So...

If we are going to be misogynistic, let's at least be up front about it.


I think that we are talking about the feminists in New Jersey.

At least, that was my understanding.
abhorrent
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/19/2012 11:22AM - in reply to Joisey Boy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Joisey Boy wrote:


I think that we are talking about the feminists in New Jersey.

At least, that was my understanding.


You don't have much of an understanding of anything outside of your one-sided, narrow minded views. Let me guess, are you Jersey Shore white trash?
I Don't
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/19/2012 12:11PM - in reply to abhorrent Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This 2009 article is fairly chilling. The anti-male movement has very real and crippling consequences for America.


http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/016/659dkrod.asp
Joisey Boy
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/19/2012 12:59PM - in reply to abhorrent Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

abhorrent wrote:


Joisey Boy wrote:


I think that we are talking about the feminists in New Jersey.

At least, that was my understanding.


You don't have much of an understanding of anything outside of your one-sided, narrow minded views. Let me guess, are you Jersey Shore white trash?


Well, I did let you guess. Your guess was incorrect. Now that you have demonstrated stupidity in your guessing let's see if you guessed anything correctly. Anything at all?

For example, did you guess that 'Joisey Boy' and 'Just a fact' are one and the same person? Please see posts # 2, 14, 19 on the first page of this thread and # 10 and 19 on the second page if you would like to get some idea of who you are addressing.
.
.
.
Now, that you are aware of just how poor your comprehension skills are, you might want to spend some time thinking about how best to apologize for your stupidity. Of course, no amount of self flagellation will remove the indelible stain that has forever cursed your limited gray matter to a lifetime of drunk-like stupor. Nonetheless, if you come back and admit to all the LRC world just how idiotic your previous post was while looking at yourself in the mirror and repeating 100 zillion times, "I am such an idiot", then perhaps you will be forgiven by those who have developed an understanding of cases such as yours.

Otherwise, may God have mercy on your soul.
Red, White and Whatever
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/19/2012 2:01PM - in reply to I Don't Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
dude..the fact that you are quoting from the most racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic media source in the entire world makes your point null and void.


I Don't wrote:

This 2009 article is fairly chilling. The anti-male movement has very real and crippling consequences for America.


http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/016/659dkrod.asp
Ghhjl
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/19/2012 3:17PM - in reply to Guppy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Are there stereotypes and pressures on women? yes. No one questions that. The problem with feminism and your post are that you completely ingnore that there are equal injustices and stereotypes thrust on men.

That's the point and my problem with feminists, the NAACP, and all other organizations formed to protect one and only one group.

Women whine about being expected to stay at home. Well guess what? men are scrutinized by society based on the amour of money that they make and how respectable their job title is. Women do not nearly get the same treatment. Imagine going to a bar as a guy and telling girls you're unemployed. No chance with the vast majority of women. However, beautiful women dont need a job. No one jinks less of them if they are stay at home moms.

The reason women aren't in fields like engineering is bc they think in the back of their minds "this is really hard and I can marry an engineer and have a good life" men outcompete women in engineering bc society tells them "bro if you are an art major, no women will want to marry you"
Aint Necessarily So
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/19/2012 3:30PM - in reply to Ghhjl Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Ghhjl wrote:

...The reason women aren't in fields like engineering is bc they think in the back of their minds "this is really hard and I can marry an engineer and have a good life" ...


Really? And you know this how?
pppojhfdsds
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/19/2012 3:31PM - in reply to Ghhjl Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Perfect example of discrimination of men using the "provider sterotype."

Two couples i know:

First couple are both doctors. The woman tells her husband she wants to retire soon (around age of 50). Husband is dismayed bc for every year she doesnt work he has to work one more to retire. He laughs it off and accepts it.



Second couple are in their 60s. Live in a big house, not loadded but very well off. Husband was a lawyer for 30 years and retired in his early 60s with enough money to get by on but again they arent rich. Wife is a small business owner and still working. She could retire if she wanted but likes the supplemental income. One day she tells me, "my husband is a good guy but he hasnt been a good provider for me." I know for a fact this guy made prob 80% of all of the money they have and they live in a 600k house. WTF? Where does this entitlement come from and why do feminists never talk about "the provider" sterotype.
Just a fact
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/19/2012 3:38PM - in reply to pppojhfdsds Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

pppojhfdsds wrote:

... Where does this entitlement come from and why do feminists never talk about "the provider" sterotype.


There are two groups of people involved in your statement/question:

1) People who never talk about "the provider" stereotype.

and

2) Feminists

You seem to be conflating the two.

Your bad.
Guppy
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/19/2012 3:42PM - in reply to Ghhjl Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Ghhjl wrote:

Are there stereotypes and pressures on women? yes. No one questions that. The problem with feminism and your post are that you completely ingnore that there are equal injustices and stereotypes thrust on men.

That's the point and my problem with feminists, the NAACP, and all other organizations formed to protect one and only one group.

Women whine about being expected to stay at home. Well guess what? men are scrutinized by society based on the amour of money that they make and how respectable their job title is. Women do not nearly get the same treatment. Imagine going to a bar as a guy and telling girls you're unemployed. No chance with the vast majority of women. However, beautiful women dont need a job. No one jinks less of them if they are stay at home moms.


Was this post really targeted at me? Because I agree with a lot of what you said. There a social pressures and expectations for both sexes, which is something feminists largely ignore.
No hablo espanol
RE: Has feminism become synonymous with misandry? 2/19/2012 6:24PM - in reply to pppojhfdsds Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You seem to ignore the ever growing number of female providers still held to society's traditional view of women as care taker for their families and husbands. Many men in such households still cling to traditional views on gender roles for women. They expect their wives to cook, clean, shop and raise their children while they sit on their lazy asses all day criticizing, judging and generally being flagrant dicks. You can't have it both ways, guys. You want your women to contribute from a monetary perspective and you also want them to be submissive doormats.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |