it is true
DMSO trouble (it burns) 6/4/2004 7:35AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I bought this DMSO at Whole Foods:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/vitanet/dmsorol70alp.html

I was using it on my knee and IT band a couple times a day but cut back because it is irratating and slightly burning my skin. After a couple minutes it actually feels like a mild chemical burn and after a couple uses my skin becomes flakey and ashey. (Then when I ice after a run it, the cold stings a little.)

The mixture is 30% aloe vera and although I've never had trouble with aloe before, I am considering switching to a pure mixture.

Maybe DMSO just isn't for me.
Has anyone else had a similar reaction?
LJJ
RE: DMSO trouble (it burns) 6/4/2004 8:42AM - in reply to it is true Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have experienced some burning too, but only on certain parts of the body. I thought DMSO was very effective and wasn't too concerned with the mild irritation. I was using the 99% mixture.
Zi
RE: DMSO trouble (it burns) 6/4/2004 8:47AM - in reply to LJJ Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have used the 100% gel form, Burn's like hell use a diluted mixture!
it is true
RE: DMSO trouble (it burns) 6/4/2004 8:58AM - in reply to it is true Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm glad to hear that it isn't just me.
patio
RE: DMSO trouble (it burns) 6/4/2004 9:02AM - in reply to it is true Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Be very careful with this crap! It's a solvent. Make sure your skin & hands are clean and be prepared for sleeping alone!
it is true
RE: DMSO trouble (it burns) 6/4/2004 10:03AM - in reply to patio Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Oh I try to stay clean.

For some reason, mine isn't so stinky. Maybe it's the aloe. I also don't get the garlic taste. This was another reason why I asked about the burning sensation. I thought that I was some sort of an anomolie. Hmm.
little dab will do ya
RE: DMSO trouble (it burns) 6/4/2004 10:51AM - in reply to it is true Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
don't rub the DMSO in, just dab it on your skin. By now, you've irritated the skin so bad it won't matter much but next time, dab it on with a cotton ball, no rubbing. Rubbing gives you a burn similar to a sunburn.
Bum
RE: DMSO trouble (it burns) 6/4/2004 11:43AM - in reply to little dab will do ya Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey, can someone explain to me the wisdom for sticking aloe in DMSO??? DMSO is a solvent, and can pretty much dissolve anything because of it's chemistry (both organics and ionic substances). I'm guessing the aloe is to prevent skin irritation, but I'm guessing that the DMSO can dissolved some of this shit and carry it into your blood stream. I can't imagine that is a good thing. Someone please educate me here.

DMSO without the shitty taste? Are you sure you got any dmso in there, or is it all aloe???
it is true
RE: DMSO trouble (it burns) 6/4/2004 12:57PM - in reply to Bum Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It could be camel's urine for all I know. Want to know why they used aloe in the mix? 1800.367.6935.
Les
RE: DMSO trouble (it burns) 6/4/2004 1:08PM - in reply to it is true Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just dilute it with water.
Uncle Pervy
RE: DMSO trouble (it burns) 6/4/2004 5:50PM - in reply to Les Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That stuff is still around?! I remember using that in 1983 while in HS. DMSO on a bandage wrapped under tin foil (I have no idea).

My mum cut off my supply when the pharmacy told her it was used by the dry cleaner next store to take out spots...
Chemist
RE: DMSO trouble (it burns) 6/4/2004 7:16PM - in reply to it is true Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You area drumbass. I may have drank ethanol, but don't even thing about touching DMSO. There was a chemist a few years back that was toying with that stuff and lead and wound up dead within 6 monthcs. DMAO=horrible/toxic solvemer that carries stuff through your blood.
it is true
RE: DMSO trouble (it burns) 6/4/2004 9:55PM - in reply to Chemist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
and you had some tonight with your martini?
Uncle Spiffy
If It's Good For Smarty Jones..... 6/6/2004 2:17AM - in reply to Chemist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't be afraid. The cells of your body naturally contain DMSO and its other form, MSM (they change back and forth).

Any idiot who does anything with lead is a dumbass. You could say Coke-a-cola is bad too, if you drank it from lead containers.

News: Lead is bad for you! Don't eat it!

As for DMSO, it oxydizes your body (and skin). That's where the "buring" comes from (unless you are mixing it with some other irritant.) It will dry out your skin, but will work wonders with vascular injuries.
Butt Pirate
RE: DMSO trouble (it burns) 6/6/2004 4:20AM - in reply to Uncle Pervy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Same here. Used it in 1981. I thought it was debunked as useless years ago!