Herbert
Rank the books in the Dune series from best to worst 3/3/2011 8:11PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
1- Dune (Book 1) Best plot and action. It also comes across as the most original, since it's the first.

2- Heretics of Dune (Book 5) Best action other than the first.

3- Children of Dune (Book 3) Revitalizes the story but doesn't stand out as much as 1 or 5.

4- Dune Messiah (Book 2) Good suspense and good new characters, but can't quite live up to number 1.

5- Chapterhouse: Dune (Book 6) Not enough happens, but some questions get answered.

6- God Emperor of Dune (Book 4) Too slow to compete with the rest.
Duke Leto Atreides
RE: Rank the books in the Dune series from best to worst 3/3/2011 8:21PM - in reply to Herbert Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The first Dune is a classic. I read the 2nd and 3rd, not the rest of the series.

Dune is a great story. It doesn't matter whether you like science fiction or not.
a fat kid
RE: Rank the books in the Dune series from best to worst 3/3/2011 8:29PM - in reply to Herbert Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
1 - Dune - No explanation needed.
2 - God Emperor of Dune - Slow and spacey but I liked the existential thinking.
3 - Children of Dune - Good storytelling, interesting exploration of "each revolution carrying the seeds of it's own destruction".
4 - Dune Messiah - I think Herbert tried to recapture the plot elements of the first book and it ended up feeling like a pale imitation.
5 - Heretics of Dune - Cool action with Teg and all, but the story was too discombobulated even for Dune.
6 - Chapterhouse Dune - I sort of stopped caring at this point.
100 - Anything with Brian Herbert's name on it.
a fat kid
RE: Rank the books in the Dune series from best to worst 3/3/2011 8:30PM - in reply to a fat kid Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Duncan Idaho
RE: Rank the books in the Dune series from best to worst 3/3/2011 11:15PM - in reply to Herbert Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I would say the quality of the books in the Dune series follows the order in which Herbert wrote them. Dune is by far the best book in the series. Dune Messiah and Children of Dune are decent, but there's a huge drop in quality from God Emperor of Dune through Chapterhouse: Dune. I tried reading one of the Brian Herbert penned novels, but it was just awful.

I respect an author getting so deeply into a fictional world, but unfortunately Herbert can't hold my interest in those later novels. I feel the same way about the majority of Tolkien's Silmarillion.

I think Herbert's best book is actually Destination: Void. It reminds me a lot of some of PKD's later stuff.
Scott in Texas
RE: Rank the books in the Dune series from best to worst 3/4/2011 12:10AM - in reply to Duncan Idaho Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I don't know anybody who finished the last book.
Heard through the grapevine
RE: Rank the books in the Dune series from best to worst 3/4/2011 7:55AM - in reply to Herbert Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've only read the first one, which was fantastic. I wanted to go on with the series but I have several SF-fanatic friends who told me not to bother, that each book is less interesting than the last. Some have made it to the 5th or 6th book, some bailed out after 3 or 4.

There are too many great SF books out there to bother with lousy ones. Frank Herbert was one of those writers who only manages to create a single great work, then spun his wheels the rest of his life. The first book led to such a big franchise that there will always been sequels, and it seems they will always be lousy.
David Ogletree
RE: Rank the books in the Dune series from best to worst 3/14/2011 9:03PM - in reply to Herbert Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I liked God Emperor Dune the most and I have read every book.
Ogletree
RE: Rank the books in the Dune series from best to worst 3/14/2011 9:04PM - in reply to Herbert Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I liked God Emperor Dune the most and I have read every book.
UsedToBeKnowItAll
RE: Rank the books in the Dune series from best to worst 3/14/2011 9:16PM - in reply to Ogletree Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I loved Dune, and was told by several people to stop there because I would only be disappointed if I kept reading.
llllll
RE: Rank the books in the Dune series from best to worst 3/14/2011 10:13PM - in reply to UsedToBeKnowItAll Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Read through God Emperor of Dune. After that they get excessively weird and kind of uncomfortably focused on sex.

The first 4 are all excellent, though. First one's best, but the others are worth reading.