former 800 runner
Shoe Mileage.. may vary? How to tell when you need new shoes? 2/16/2011 10:17AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What kind of mileage do people get out of their shoes? Is there a good way to tell when you need new ones?

I've obviously heard the 400-600 range cited many times, but I feel like I get closer to 800 before I notice I need new shoes.

I've been running in asics 2150's for a few years now, 6'2, 170ish, forefoot strike, run 50-60 per week. Obviously mostly pavement in winter, mostly trails/grass in summer.
forefootstriker
RE: Shoe Mileage.. may vary? How to tell when you need new shoes? 2/16/2011 3:16PM - in reply to former 800 runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
it always depends on the runner. his/her weight, foot strike, and what kind of shoe they buy. each show will last differently depending on their weight and cushion.
rhrunner
RE: Shoe Mileage.. may vary? How to tell when you need new shoes? 2/16/2011 3:24PM - in reply to former 800 runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've put almost 1000 on my pair of Adidas Supernova Sequences and they're still going strong. I'm similar in height and build to you, have been doing 80+ per week for quite some time. More midfoot striker.
Wise Guy
RE: Shoe Mileage.. may vary? How to tell when you need new shoes? 2/16/2011 5:05PM - in reply to rhrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm 5'10" 145 and have gotten about 2000 out of several pairs. I usually stop wearing shoes because the uppers tear up and start cutting my ankles. Or if my legs start to hurt I get new shoes.
Northstarxc
RE: Shoe Mileage.. may vary? How to tell when you need new shoes? 2/17/2011 9:21AM - in reply to former 800 runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I normally just get a new pair every season to avoid foot related injuries. One pair for XC, one pair for track and one for summer. I think its more important not get injured then it is to save a little $.
Good Books
RE: Shoe Mileage.. may vary? How to tell when you need new shoes? 2/17/2011 9:39AM - in reply to former 800 runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'll tell you what I tell my customers. Typically the life of a running shoe (not a light weight trainer) is about 400-500 miles. Some people get more, some get less. If you aren't making drastic changes to your training and you feel pain in your legs, usually shins or knees then its time for new shoes.
Sucusladkfjlsdkfjdf
RE: Shoe Mileage.. may vary? How to tell when you need new shoes? 2/17/2011 9:44AM - in reply to former 800 runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just swing by the old Fleet Feet every week or so until they tell you it is time.

LOL, have you ever heard a Fleet Feet employee say that your shoes AREN'T ready to be trashed? No way.

Make sure you get some SuperFeet too, those are a MUST HAVE!