the missing link
How does Linked In find suggested connections? 1/6/2011 9:28PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have a Linked In account and it keeps finding suggested connections for me. The odd thing is they are dead on - people I know and have worked with in some capacity, but none of it is obvious. Examples include:

- A guy that applied for a position at my institution
- A guy that is in charge of another company I did research with
- A guy I wrote a peer-reviewed article with

The third one, I could understand, there must be some kind of pubmed crawler that would find that. The other two, I have no idea how it would make the connection, as there is nothing on the internet anywhere directly linking our names together. I even did a google search for my name combined with either of their names and nothing came up.

I would not be surprised if Linked In sent me dozens of potential connections and a few of them made sense, but they only send me a handful, and all of them are relevant.

Any clues?
kirkaz
RE: How does Linked In find suggested connections? 1/7/2011 1:23AM - in reply to the missing link Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i think it's because it looks through your email contacts - on the email address you signed up for linkedin on. so any kid you had contact with in your gmail history years ago may pop up
dpmrunner
RE: How does Linked In find suggested connections? 1/7/2011 7:45AM - in reply to kirkaz Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

kirkaz wrote:

i think it's because it looks through your email contacts - on the email address you signed up for linkedin on. so any kid you had contact with in your gmail history years ago may pop up

Some of the people LI suggests to me are from my e-mail contacts, but others can be people I've never met or even had brief contact with. I wonder if they also use key words in profiles to find potential matches.
Puhleez!
RE: How does Linked In find suggested connections? 1/7/2011 8:49AM - in reply to dpmrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've been wondering that for a while now myself. My followup question is why Match.com can't utilize this matching ability, because whenever I do a search at that site, all that turns up are ugly fat chicks.
Shoebacca
RE: How does Linked In find suggested connections? 1/7/2011 8:51AM - in reply to Puhleez! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Maybe you'd lead a more fulfilling life if you opened yourself up to ugly fat chicks.
question from the asker
RE: How does Linked In find suggested connections? 1/7/2011 12:27PM - in reply to Puhleez! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Puhleez! wrote:

I've been wondering that for a while now myself. My followup question is why Match.com can't utilize this matching ability, because whenever I do a search at that site, all that turns up are ugly fat chicks.

Isn't the purpose of match to do the exact opposite and introduce you to new people? You already knew which of the women you knew you're interested in and that have no interest in you....