AT can eat it
Advice for returning to running after achilles tendonitis 1/1/2011 3:40PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
For those of you who have had achilles tendonitis and gotten over it, how did you guys return to running? Did you guys go by a percentage of mileage or time? Mine started some time in the middle of October due to rolling my ankle numerous times on a run. I stopped running Novemer 7th and have taken time off with lots of icing and have been doing the eccentric calve stregthening for the past couple weeks. I'm now wearing the blue superfeet insoles with lifts underneath them. I ran for 15min today on grass on our local football field for the first time and had no pain. I want to make sure not to start too quickly. Thanks
AT can eat it
RE: Advice for returning to running after achilles tendonitis 1/1/2011 5:34PM - in reply to AT can eat it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
Rcase
RE: Advice for returning to running after achilles tendonitis 1/1/2011 5:43PM - in reply to AT can eat it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Once pain subsided I started immediately incorporating ART and Calf Raises on a daily basis. I initially thought icing was the golden ticket but quickly found that heating the achilles and working on the upper calf was the real trick.

Since transitioning to only racing flats, I have never again had AT issues.

I personally feel anything you slip in your shoe is a terrible idea. I would start out easy as you have indicated, but as you deem comfortable, start incorporating strengthening through hill sprints.

Just my .02

Good Luck !
JohnP
RE: Advice for returning to running after achilles tendonitis 1/1/2011 8:11PM - in reply to Rcase Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
BUMP
Brent.
RE: Advice for returning to running after achilles tendonitis 1/1/2011 9:32PM - in reply to AT can eat it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Smoother surface than grass may be better. It's not so much soft that you need, in my opinion. If the grass you are running on doesn't have much bumpiness to it, you may be alright, though. I would consider smooth first, and soft second.
booger
RE: Advice for returning to running after achilles tendonitis 1/1/2011 11:33PM - in reply to Brent. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
olderrunner
RE: Advice for returning to running after achilles tendonitis 1/2/2011 9:13AM - in reply to AT can eat it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I never stopped running. A tendon needs to be exercised to heal properly... just cut back on the mileage tremendously. When I was running I'd feel it the first mile, then a week later only the first 1/4 mile, then I couldn't feel it at all. For me it slowly went away. I iced the crap out of it five or more times a day. I think ice is what kills it (foot immersed in a bucket of water with ice). There are other posts I've made explaining how I beat mine. I spent a week only running 1/4 mile per day until I started seeing an improvement and then I increased my running by 1 mile every other day the following week. Start back slowly and expect that you'll still feel the pain but to a lesser extent and it should gradually go away if you keep icing it. Worked for me.
AT can eat it
RE: Advice for returning to running after achilles tendonitis 1/2/2011 5:17PM - in reply to AT can eat it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the advice so far

Anyone else's experiences coming back from AT?
oh please
RE: Advice for returning to running after achilles tendonitis 1/2/2011 6:11PM - in reply to AT can eat it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had it earlier this year. I took all of May and the first two week so June off. In place of running, I broke out my road bike and put in two months of riding (May, June). The riding didn't bother my achilles too much.

I started back in mid June, and for the next 4 weeks put in the following weeks: 23, 23, 15, 25. I ran on the roads as central Ohio seems to have a dearth of dirt trails that aren't hilly.

I did go to PT for 3 weeks, but didn't continue to do any of the exercises afterwards.

On the plus side, I ended up PRing in 10k and the Half in October, which is surprising considering I maxed out at 48 miles for a week, and the average was actually 38 from mid July to first week of October.