Pages: | 1 | 2 |
wanted fugitive
Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 4:03AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm a college athlete and I usually take one of those 5 hour energy shots if I had to stay up all night studying for a test or about 30 minutes before a race. I know the NCAA has some pretty weird rules on various substances(banning certain types of Vitamin waters) so I just want to make sure the Five Hour Energy Shots are alright by NCAA standards.
Sebastian Kline
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 5:48AM - in reply to wanted fugitive Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
idont know
Sebastian Kline
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 5:48AM - in reply to Sebastian Kline Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
as long as you dont sell it at the tea party rallies, you should be fine
aegad
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 7:35AM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

www.666energy.com wrote:

I can't speak for 5 Hour Energy, but I can talk about something completely irrelevant.

Thanks for that.
www.666energy.com
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 11:23AM - in reply to aegad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

aegad wrote:

www.666energy.com wrote:

I can't speak for 5 Hour Energy, but I can talk about something completely irrelevant.

Thanks for that.

5 Hour Energy is a 2 oz. energy shot. My company produces a product that competes directly against 5 Hour, in the energy shot category, so 666 Energy Drink is very relevant to this discussion. Ours is a FOUR oz. energy shot. I was offering the OP an alternative product that was designed by a fellow runner who is concerned with illegal and dangerous substances.

Jason
Capitalism Is Alive?
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 11:31AM - in reply to www.666energy.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
5 Hour Energy is a 2 oz. energy shot. My company produces a product that competes directly against 5 Hour, in the energy shot category, so 666 Energy Drink is very relevant to this discussion. Ours is a FOUR oz. energy shot. I was offering the OP an alternative product that was designed by a fellow runner who is concerned with illegal and dangerous substances.

Dear Snake Oil Salesman,

I don't know how you're able to peddle your wares on this site. Just seems wrong to me.

This post is brought to you by the letters "F" and "U".

I just want to read about running. Sigh.
Master Debator
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 11:35AM - in reply to Capitalism Is Alive? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I head about a BYU runner who was found drinking 666 energy.... He was stoned to death by the rest of his team for cutting a deal with the devil.
Weakness
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 11:38AM - in reply to wanted fugitive Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
According to my school they're not NCAA legal. Why not just take 200mg of pure caffeine?
stuck with match.com
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 12:47PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The OP is clearly Mayeroff (666 poster) who was looking for a way to promote his product through the use of discussion/arguing.

8/10 mayeroff, nice attempt but too transparent.
i'vegotit!
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 1:19PM - in reply to stuck with match.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
have you ever tried 666 energy? it works and it tastes better than the others. plus i'd rather support a company started by a fellow runner than some asshole with dumb commercials.
5ty5ty456
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 1:21PM - in reply to stuck with match.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Personally I am interested in Jason's performance-oriented nutritional supplements (if that's what they are) which help maintain my energy levels as a runner. Haters should f*** off, you add nothing to this subject.
stuck with match.com
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 1:23PM - in reply to i'vegotit! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes I have tried the drink and I think its really good. I would say its better than 5 hour energy or 6 hour power. At least 666 energy tastes good. Thank you Mayeroff for the drink. I wasn't bashing the drink at all I was just pointing out that Mayeroff was the OP. I thought it was sort of catchy and creative so I gave Mayeroff an 8/10, although he could have disguised it a little better.
wanted fugitive
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 1:40PM - in reply to stuck with match.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No, the original poster was not Mayeroff. I'm not going to buy 666 energy or whatever it is because I would have to order it online and its much more convenient just to go down the block to Walmart and buy a pack of five hour energy. My original question still stands, is five hour energy NCAA legal?
Weakness
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 3:58PM - in reply to wanted fugitive Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I answered this already...no it is not NCAA legal.

Royer says only one athlete has tested positive for excess levels of caffeine over the prior two years, although the NCAA only tests for stimulants like caffeine during NCAA championships. The threshold set at 15 micrograms per milliliter of urine "is designed to eliminate individuals from testing positive for caffeine because of the 'normal' amounts consumed from average dietary intake," Royer says.

You'd have to take about 5-7 pills at 200mg to test positive as the levels stand now.
check you marth
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 4:24PM - in reply to Weakness Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There's no "official" value for the caffeine content of 5 hour energy, but they advertise it about the same as a cup of coffee, which is 80-120 mg. So by your 5-7x200 mg estimate, you'd need to drink 10-14 5HE shots to test positive.
Weakness
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 5:02PM - in reply to check you marth Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Check your logic.
Caffeine isn't the only banned/regulated substance within 5 hour energy. Taurine is in it, and thats definitely a NCAA banned substance.
Jack of spades
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 5:35PM - in reply to Weakness Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The NCAA should really just come out and tell us if it's legal or not, seems like there is alot of grey area here. I did a search on five hour energy and it's legality in the NCAA and I'll I got was a bunch of fuzzy answers that don't specify either way.
doubts
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 5:44PM - in reply to Jack of spades Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you aren't sure about it, don't use it...although I'm pretty sure it's not legal.
check you marth
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 5:49PM - in reply to Weakness Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Huh didn't know taurine was on the banned list. Do you know what the limit is? It's already found naturally in our diets so just because it's an ingredient doesn't make 5HE a banned substance.
Get Real Real
RE: Is 5 hour energy NCAA legal? 9/19/2010 5:52PM - in reply to wanted fugitive Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

wanted fugitive wrote:

I'm a college athlete and I usually take one of those 5 hour energy shots if I had to stay up all night studying for a test or about 30 minutes before a race. I know the NCAA has some pretty weird rules on various substances(banning certain types of Vitamin waters) so I just want to make sure the Five Hour Energy Shots are alright by NCAA standards.

How about you stop screwing around so that you get your studying done in advance and don't need to CRAM all night?
Pages: | 1 | 2 |