Hs Nerd
How many teams advance from NCAA regionals to championships? 6/23/2010 10:20AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm only in high school, I don't know much about college XC but I've been looking at team websites to gauge my interest. I'm considering running in college.

Anyways, I see lots of teams go to regionals, but not championships. Obviously because they didn't qualify?

How many teams, (specifically in D3 but also D1 please) qualify from each regional or each conference to the NCAA championships? Or how does it work? And how many individuals qualify?

just wondering. thanks
marksman
RE: How many teams advance from NCAA regionals to championships? 6/23/2010 12:13PM - in reply to Hs Nerd Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Since no one else has answered I'll give it a shot. This is off the top of my head and may be out-of-date.

D3: Everyone goes to regionals. The top placing teams advance to nationals. Each regions has a set number of berths based on previous years' performances at nationals by that region's teams.

D1: Everyone goes to regionals. The top two teams from each region advance. Additional teams are advanced based on at-large points accumulated by beating other teams during the season. It's a bit complicated.

I forget about individuals.
nats
RE: How many teams advance from NCAA regionals to championships? 6/23/2010 12:17PM - in reply to marksman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
For D1 individuals it's the top 4 individuals not on a qualifying team.