need help on story
A story about a girl who was kept locked up since birth? 8/11/2009 4:02PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I recall in high school my friend telling me about a story of a girl who was locked up by her parents since birth for many many years, into her teens if i recall. I remember he said he watched a video on it and authorities attempt to deal with the situation and teach her how to be a member of society. Does anyone know what the story is, or if its true and if there is a video I can watch. In class we are discussing human nature and I think locating this story would help.
Ka Mate
RE: A story about a girl who was kept locked up since birth? 8/11/2009 4:10PM - in reply to need help on story Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Fritzl?
Ron Burgundy
RE: A story about a girl who was kept locked up since birth? 8/11/2009 4:16PM - in reply to Ka Mate Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Try this "A Child Called It". It's a true story. I cried while I was reading it.
Sociology
RE: A story about a girl who was kept locked up since birth? 8/11/2009 4:23PM - in reply to Ron Burgundy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Genie, Anna, Isabelle. 3 girls used in many sociology books to describe how social isolation can affect the mental and even physical state of humans.

Genie part one-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipt0pjz0mwg
Genie part two-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nha-lGE_wjo

I could only find videos of Genie obviously, but this should help.
Not new news.
RE: A story about a girl who was kept locked up since birth? 8/11/2009 4:25PM - in reply to Sociology Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The Girl in the Window---also a true story, very recent, and very interesting.
Sociology
RE: A story about a girl who was kept locked up since birth? 8/11/2009 4:26PM - in reply to Sociology Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
wild child
RE: A story about a girl who was kept locked up since birth? 8/11/2009 4:28PM - in reply to need help on story Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
John Smallberries
RE: A story about a girl who was kept locked up since birth? 8/11/2009 5:33PM - in reply to wild child Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you are into linguistics, there are some important studies done on victims of isolation. The conclusion is that we all have an innate ability to communicate, but need to be in an environment where we can communicate in order to develope the ability. The isolation victims have shown that there is an additional "use it or lose it" requirement. People who were isolated during critical development periods in their lives were never able to become fully able to communicate.
winky-dink
RE: A story about a girl who was kept locked up since birth? 8/11/2009 5:40PM - in reply to John Smallberries Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Google: home-schoolers
book link
RE: A story about a girl who was kept locked up since birth? 8/11/2009 5:50PM - in reply to need help on story Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here's a good book on the subject. I read this when it came out. In the main it covers the stories of 6 of the most famous feral children, one of whom was a girl who was locked up by her dad:

http://www.amazon.com/Savage-Girls-Wild-Boys-Children/dp/0312423357/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250030882&sr=8-1
just the facts
RE: A story about a girl who was kept locked up since birth? 8/11/2009 7:57PM - in reply to book link Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"A Feral Child" is a extremely well-written, but obviously sad and angering story printed by the St. Petersburg Times. Go to the site and search their archives.