Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Sheriff Buford T. Pusser
How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 1:06PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The person would of course be limited by the amount of training he or she could do, lest their weight would drop below 300 pounds unless he or she continued to eat a ton. I would put the starting point at 15 minutes, as an average person walks at 4 mph ... or 15 minutes a mile. So, you would be looking at 3:45 a lap at walking pace. I don't think he or she would be any running last couple of laps so would put last half in 7:30, provided they are able to finish. With some training, I could see a person running the first lap in around 2:45 minutes ... maybe walk 100 yards then finish second lap "running." Thus, I would guess they could maybe run about 13 minutes.
o.O
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 1:19PM - in reply to Sheriff Buford T. Pusser Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It'd acutally not be hard at all for a 300 lb man to break 5 considering he could easily muster a better muscle/fat ratio.
Sheriff Buford T. Pusser
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 1:28PM - in reply to o.O Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am amending my guess ... maybe 12 minutes
itsme
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 1:45PM - in reply to Sheriff Buford T. Pusser Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Sheriff Buford T. Pusser wrote:

The person would of course be limited by the amount of training he or she could do, lest their weight would drop below 300 pounds unless he or she continued to eat a ton. I would put the starting point at 15 minutes, as an average person walks at 4 mph ... or 15 minutes a mile. So, you would be looking at 3:45 a lap at walking pace. I don't think he or she would be any running last couple of laps so would put last half in 7:30, provided they are able to finish. With some training, I could see a person running the first lap in around 2:45 minutes ... maybe walk 100 yards then finish second lap "running." Thus, I would guess they could maybe run about 13 minutes.

Oh, I have a good example from Germany. Rainer Callmund, former managing director of football club Bayer Leverkusen, is really fat.

Last year in August he decided to do something about it. He started out at 360 lbs and is down to ~300 lbs. at the moment (47% fat). He wants to participate in a half marathon next month (goal: 3 to 3,5 hours). He's not running but walking though. Last week he walked 4 x 1,6 km in training, averaging 14,5 minutes per round. This wasn't an all-out-effort and he did 4 miles. So 13 minutes per mile or even slightly below seems reasonable.
Ikke
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 1:47PM - in reply to o.O Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
for most 300 pound bodybuilders a 15 minute mile is the equivalent of a professional runner jogging at 6' - 7' per mile. Both would be at 120 heart rate if FIT.

I would guess in a very fit tall bodybuilder that could train and remain 300 pounds that he might get to a 7' mile but it would be a feat.
Sheriff Buford T. Pusser
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 2:02PM - in reply to Ikke Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I guess I was shortsighed in only considering "obese" 300-pound people - someone like Mario Williams who is very svelte 300 pounds could maybe do much faster
blaznbison24
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 2:22PM - in reply to Sheriff Buford T. Pusser Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A bodybuilder would be the best bet, but feeding oxygen to all of those muscles would take a ton of work. Maybe if you took the old school beer belly Henry Rono, and gave him a year of steroids, he could break 6:00.
ian edwards
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 2:34PM - in reply to Sheriff Buford T. Pusser Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A 285 pound wrestler on my team ran a mile without stopping. I don't know how fast though.
tall is the key
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 2:40PM - in reply to blaznbison24 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
not to bring up a nasty subject - triathlons - but go to any, and you'll readily observe that the so called Clydesdale division is dominated by 6'7" string beans who qualify for that division because of their height.
Shaq has turned into a tub of lard so that's a bad angle, but Greg Oden is 285, and I bet he could push 6:00 if he had to.
No way no how
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 2:43PM - in reply to tall is the key Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

tall is the key wrote:

not to bring up a nasty subject - triathlons - but go to any, and you'll readily observe that the so called Clydesdale division is dominated by 6'7" string beans who qualify for that division because of their height.
Shaq has turned into a tub of lard so that's a bad angle, but Greg Oden is 285, and I bet he could push 6:00 if he had to.

Theres no way Greg Oden runs 6:00. No way.
Sheriff Buford T. Pusser
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 2:43PM - in reply to ian edwards Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
there was a 406-pound bodybuilder who was incredibly lean ... he was also maybe strongest guy in world - he could do like behind-neck military press - seated at 505-pounds for maybe 10 reps - he could drop 100 pounds train and maybe run quick mile ... his name like mark Kovaks
tall is the key
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 2:49PM - in reply to Sheriff Buford T. Pusser Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yao Ming weighs 310, and by default he has an exceptionally long stride length. Surely he could turn his legs over quickly enough and long enough to get to 1 mile in 6 minutes.
body biil der
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 2:54PM - in reply to Sheriff Buford T. Pusser Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It was Greg Kovaks

Sheriff Buford T. Pusser wrote:

there was a 406-pound bodybuilder who was incredibly lean ... he was also maybe strongest guy in world - he could do like behind-neck military press - seated at 505-pounds for maybe 10 reps - he could drop 100 pounds train and maybe run quick mile ... his name like mark Kovaks
Guppy
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 2:55PM - in reply to tall is the key Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know a guy who's well over 300 pounds. I don't think he's quite 400, but he's at least 350. He was really proud of himself because he walked 3.99 miles in an hour. This is after a while of walking every day. I don't know what he was able to do the first time. Given this, I'd bet he could pull out a 12 minute mile or so.

Some guy on biggest loser ran a 3:40 marathon or something. He had lost a lot of weight, but he was still something like 270 and looked to be all flab and no muscle. That seemed pretty incredible to me.
Sheriff Buford T. Pusser
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 2:58PM - in reply to Guppy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
body biil der - yes, I just remembered his name - thanks ... he was beast
Sheriff Buford T. Pusser
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 3:00PM - in reply to Sheriff Buford T. Pusser Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I just remembered - here in Houson at Memorial Park - is 295-pound guy who runs twice a day during heat of summer - and we are talking 100 degrees ... he wears like Panama hat - but don't think he runs that fast - he might be 6'7"
DontFeedTheTroll
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 3:19PM - in reply to Guppy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You are probably thinking about Dane Patterson, who was reported by the show as running 3:53. It was actually 5:53 and he was driven a (small) part of the way.
Guppy
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 4/25/2009 3:48PM - in reply to DontFeedTheTroll Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

DontFeedTheTroll wrote:

You are probably thinking about Dane Patterson, who was reported by the show as running 3:53. It was actually 5:53 and he was driven a (small) part of the way.

haha, that would make a lot more sense.
ductapensuperglu
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 5/18/2009 2:16PM - in reply to Sheriff Buford T. Pusser Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am 6' 280 pounds 25 yrs old. I usually do 1 mile in 8:10 to 8:30 depending on my attitude/etc. I started out at 299 on April 1st, walking 4 miles a day @4mph for about a week and then I tried running. 1st day of running I did 1 mile in 9:50. 2nd day I did 9:30. 3rd day 9:10. 2nd week of running 1 mile walking 3, I dropped from 9:10 to 8:45. Then I hit 8:30 later int the week. For the last month i have been at 8:10.

Last night I ran 2 miles in 17:37. US army requires a BCT grad to do 1 miles in less than 17:30. I am 6' 280.lbs, obese according to the BMI and I am on the line with BCT standards.
jaime
RE: How fast could a 300-pound person run/walk/complete a mile? 5/18/2009 3:19PM - in reply to Sheriff Buford T. Pusser Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Didn't Paul McMullan once break 4 weight over 200 lbs? I weigh 230 and I ran a 37 10k couple years ago... don't underestimate "fatness"
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |