but coach I am really hurt
Pain below my left calf muscle 2/22/2009 8:32AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I started running in November and now I am strarting to have this pain right below my left calf muscle. It feels like the big tendon below the muscle. When I massge the tendon, I feel some grinding as I massage it. It hurts. Does anyone know what this is? Thanks
Muscle man
RE: Pain below my left calf muscle 2/22/2009 8:45AM - in reply to but coach I am really hurt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It is your Soleus muscle. My guess is that it doesn't hurt when you go up on your toes but when you "load" your leg and knee is bent. You need to get a massage therapist to get in there and really work the collagen out that has accumulated. It will not feel good and you may bruise but there is not other way to get it working right again. Most of the time these problems stem from dehydration and electrolite problems. Also make sure you are running in good footwear that works with your foots biomechanics. Ice and Ibuprofen will help get through the runs. Heat and massage before the runs. Hope this helps.
but coach I am really hurt
RE: Pain below my left calf muscle 2/22/2009 9:01AM - in reply to Muscle man Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You are right it only hurts at these angles of movement. What are your reccomendations for continuing training. Should I back off, what do you think will happen if i continue training? Thanks.
Muscle man
RE: Pain below my left calf muscle 2/22/2009 9:22AM - in reply to but coach I am really hurt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I would continue running unless you feel that you are comprimising your stride and other muscles are becoming inflamed. I would back off a bit and if the muscle is very sore don't run for a few days. If I were you I would take 3 days off and ice and use Ibuprofen and get the inflamation under control. Aslo find a good massage therapist to get the muscle back in balance. Keep the muscle loose.
wankerman
RE: Pain below my left calf muscle 2/22/2009 9:37AM - in reply to but coach I am really hurt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
massage the spot cross ways. deep and hard.
also above and below the spot.
Ice it after runs or 3x a day. but not before runs
Do the massage before and after running but before iceing
take some anti-inflammatory's
Put a heal lift in you shoe. just under the heal.
stay off the hills and spints for a while.
Muscle man
RE: Pain below my left calf muscle 2/22/2009 11:53AM - in reply to wankerman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A heal lift will do nothing, it is not a shortning of the muscle injury. If you do this you will jack your achillies up and the rear foot.
camelback
RE: Pain below my left calf muscle 7/12/2009 11:08AM - in reply to Muscle man Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Muscle Man, I think you are right. I have a pain similar with the one described by op. I did run in 100 degrees weather and I started having cramps at night. So it is most likely caused by an electrolyte imbalance. The other thing is that I run uphill and the muscles/tendons in that area are stretched all the time. This morning I did it: I cannot run and even walking is painful, I am limping. Well, if I hate and fear something, it's being injured and unable to run full speed, so I am in trouble. Hope to fix it soon...