Struggling Runner
How to get rid of Dead Legs?!!?!? PLEASE HELP!!! 2/4/2008 7:05PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have been running for the past 4 weeks, but the past two weeks my legs have been so dead lately and I thought that it might be just a phase and that it would go away after a week, but I have not been able to shake the dead legs. Does someone have any suggestions on what I can do to get them feeling normal again!
lohalloran
RE: How to get rid of Dead Legs?!!?!? PLEASE HELP!!! 2/4/2008 7:12PM - in reply to Struggling Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
a day off, strides, stretching, massage, some fast 200's or 400's to shake things up a little bit.
2 miler
RE: How to get rid of Dead Legs?!!?!? PLEASE HELP!!! 2/4/2008 7:23PM - in reply to Struggling Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
what kind of training are you doing?

how much mileage?
Struggling Runner
RE: How to get rid of Dead Legs?!!?!? PLEASE HELP!!! 2/4/2008 8:04PM - in reply to 2 miler Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I started out with 40 then jumped to 50, then 55 with a day off and 62. Over cross I got up to 87 mpw and all the days but 2 are easy runs. But after Saturday workouts on my long run days I find myself only being able to struggle to 8 miles...its just getting really frusturating
shafter
RE: How to get rid of Dead Legs?!!?!? PLEASE HELP!!! 2/4/2008 8:15PM - in reply to Struggling Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
An Observer
RE: How to get rid of Dead Legs?!!?!? PLEASE HELP!!! 2/4/2008 8:21PM - in reply to Struggling Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So if you're only doing 2 workouts per week, why are you doing a workout the day before your long run? Why would you do an intense day and a long day back to back when you could easily spread them out over the rest of the week?

Also, if you keep feeling trashed after workouts, maybe you are running those workouts too hard.

If your legs are dead every day, just put in the running time to remain somewhat fit and run genuinely easy (meaning really slow so the effort is really easy) until your legs bounce back.

A massage wouldn't hurt, either (actually, a good one would hurt like a son of a gun, but you know what I mean).
2 miler
RE: How to get rid of Dead Legs?!!?!? PLEASE HELP!!! 2/4/2008 8:51PM - in reply to An Observer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
change your workout to anyday other than saturday or monday. your not doing any quality so keep hammering away eventually you will get stronger. you wont peak early without acidosis so just trust in the great concept of super compensation.
Struggling Runner
RE: How to get rid of Dead Legs?!!?!? PLEASE HELP!!! 2/4/2008 8:58PM - in reply to An Observer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I wish I could change workout days, but our coach has it planned out this way....I think I am pushing too hard to keep beating those who I have beaten before, but they are in better shape than I. I took today off and am going to start stretching a lot more. Hopefully this track season will help me next year in cross go from 25:37 to sub 25....But so far I am struggling hard