td
weird cold numbness in lower arms 11/13/2007 10:56PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've recently noticed this in a couple of races and workouts. It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes (only during a race or a hard long interval/time trial), my lower arms and hands get extremely cold and stiff/numb. They feel heavy, too, and it's hard to get into any kind of rhythm and I can't hold the pace I should. It's not a weather thing, either; it's happened in different temperatures.

Anyone ever experience this or know what causes it or how to prevent it?

Thanks
oh boy
RE: weird cold numbness in lower arms 11/13/2007 11:23PM - in reply to td Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
welcome to my legs sort of.
whatever man
RE: weird cold numbness in lower arms 11/13/2007 11:53PM - in reply to td Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Could be Reynaud's syndrome especially if it's one arm. Both arms is more unusual. It's usually not much of a worry and a fair number of folks have it to a degree, but in rare cases it's associated with Lupus.
jwied
RE: weird cold numbness in lower arms 11/14/2007 12:19AM - in reply to whatever man Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have reynaud's syndrome myself, but it only affects a few of my fingers, and it occurs alot more during the winter months and hardly at all during the summer. I would describe it as a cold numbness, so maybe thats what is happening with you, but also whenever i have an episode or reynauds, the affected area also turns a really sick looking pale white... the first time it happened it was pretty scary.
For me, it occurs alot more during the winter months, and hardly at all during the summer.

However, it never happens while running (but has happened shortly after running several times), which im thankful for,

My hands generally get cold somewhat easy and i wear thin gloves whenever the temp get below about 50, so i probably have poor circulation in my hands as well.
migo
RE: weird cold numbness in lower arms 11/14/2007 2:17AM - in reply to jwied Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My hands get sorta tingly and borderline numb sometimes, but only in longer hard races (both hot and cold days). I always chalked it up to circulation being diverted to the working muscles instead of my hands. Always goes away a few minutes after I stop. I never get the heaviness though, and it never really goes any farther up than my hand.
no longer stressed
RE: weird cold numbness in lower arms 11/14/2007 8:21AM - in reply to td Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
to assist those interested in looking up more info, the phenomenon is spelled with an "a": raynaud's. i often get it bilaterally, in my fingers and also my feet (which is really a drag, since i lose the feel of the road or trail beneath my feet; sometimes the numbness feels as if there were a rock stuck to the bottom of my shoe), and it often hits or intensifies once i finish my run. carrying one hunter's chemical handwarmer helps my hands; i switch it back and forth between them. my arms, however, are not similarly affected, so no clue what's going on with that, although sometimes when it's cold the metal plate on the back of my watch makes that wrist cold -- cold that radiates down my thumb -- so when it's really cold i have been known to strap the watch over my sleeve.