Pages: | 1 | 2 |
oldie
The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/8/2006 10:34PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey-

I've been trying to remember this old Nike magazine ad that was popular back in the day-- it had a guy running on an empty road, had some tagline like "The road is long" or maybe "the roads are always open".

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Any links to a picture of the ad?
yeah
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 1:54AM - in reply to oldie Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There was a whole series of Nike ads along those lines. My favorite was the one of a guy in a yellow jacket who was running through a rainstorm. The image in the ad was of a guy sitting at a table in a restaurant, drinking wine and smoking a stogie as the runner heads by in the storm. Pretty awesome.
gc
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 7:36AM - in reply to oldie Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This site has a bunch of old Nike ads.

http://www.trizera.com/jsp/images/adimages.html
trackheader
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 7:55AM - in reply to oldie Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

oldie wrote:

Hey-

I've been trying to remember this old Nike magazine ad that was popular back in the day-- it had a guy running on an empty road, had some tagline like "The road is long" or maybe "the roads are always open".

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Any links to a picture of the ad?

the tagline was:

"There is no finish line."

I had a couple ads like that on my wall when I was in H.S. (mid 90s), I cut them out of the local library's old collection of Runner magazine.

I'll see if I can find them and post pictures.
pre841
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 8:11AM - in reply to oldie Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you'd like the poster of the 1970s ad where the runner is running across the bridge during rush hour, I've got one I'll sell. Let me know.
hdtryr
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 8:31AM - in reply to oldie Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
gh
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 9:17AM - in reply to hdtryr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've also been looking for years for a pic of the Bob Kennedy Nike ad that had a picture of Bob running in racing gear and said something to the effect of "Training like a guy from the Rift Valley, to run like a guy from Indiana" My friend used to have a poster with that, and I would love to get my hands on a poster or the image, and I would make my own poster.

Any ideas?
wags
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 10:06AM - in reply to gh Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
there was a series that i pulled from sports illustrated or runners world. one i remember was "runs end, running doesn't". there was also a "why do i run?" series, with kennedy, salazar, etc. i should have them away somewhere, if i find them i'll post links.
truth and beauty
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 10:33AM - in reply to gh Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I remember another Bob Kennedy ad with him running in the rain and the ad said "Somewhere there's a sunny warm place where all the second place guys train"

my friend saw the ad, bought the jacket, and snagged it on a nail in a telephone pole the next week.
EMUEAGLE
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 11:18AM - in reply to truth and beauty Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah, I remember that Nike ad about Kennedy, "Train with the kenyans Run like a guy from Indiana" If anyone has that it would be sweet.
IbelieveIcanRun
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 11:45AM - in reply to EMUEAGLE Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Anyone know where to find that kennedy ad?
suge knight
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 12:12PM - in reply to gc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Can anyone tell me what exactly did Nike to in order to be able to use Prefontaine in their advertising after his death? Do they have a contract with his family or something? Did his contract with them from the '70's allow them to use his photos forever? Perhaps someone in the industry knows how this would work. Please explain.
gh
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 12:16PM - in reply to wags Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That'd be awesome, please do so if you can.

thx
LiveWrong
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 12:18PM - in reply to suge knight Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

suge knight wrote:

Can anyone tell me what exactly did Nike to in order to be able to use Prefontaine in their advertising after his death? Do they have a contract with his family or something? Did his contract with them from the '70's allow them to use his photos forever? Perhaps someone in the industry knows how this would work. Please explain.

It's all part of Phil's deal with Satan. Section J, subclause 8.
hold the phone
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 1:49PM - in reply to yeah Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

yeah wrote:

There was a whole series of Nike ads along those lines. My favorite was the one of a guy in a yellow jacket who was running through a rainstorm. The image in the ad was of a guy sitting at a table in a restaurant, drinking wine and smoking a stogie as the runner heads by in the storm. Pretty awesome.

Yeah, that was my favourite too. I ripped it from the magazine and put it on my wall in HS. Then took it with me to university, had it on my wall for four years there. I probably still have it in a box somewhere. For some reason, that ad just got right to me. Beautiful photograph.
clarksonxc
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 8:24PM - in reply to IbelieveIcanRun Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That Kennedy add was talked about a few weeks back on a thread, you might be able to find it if you search for "Kennedy Nike Ad" or something. Anyways, there was a link to a picture of it, which I saved:

http://people.clarkson.edu/~verda/image_1356.jpg
EMUEAGLE
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 9:25PM - in reply to clarksonxc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
hey man that link didn't work could you repost it or something? Thanks.
d2xccoach
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 9:55PM - in reply to oldie Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you're thinking of the Nike ad with a guy in a yellow t-shirt running down the side of a country road on a grey day, I'm staring at that poster on my wall right now. The tagline is "There Is No Finish Line". Sorry no pics.
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/9/2006 10:45PM - in reply to oldie Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There are (clubs) you can't belong to, (schools) you can't get into, (something) you can't (something else) but the roads are always open. JUST DO IT.
waxc
RE: The Famous Classic Nike Ad 4/10/2006 3:29AM - in reply to gh Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i have a really sweet "point of purchase" poster that i finnally pried away from my boss at the running store i work at. it has a picture of kennedy mid race, with the quote, "whether it is possible or not, the fact that i can imagine it is the first step". by far my favorite poster
Pages: | 1 | 2 |