Discus Coach
OTE Discus Help!!! 3/2/2006 5:44PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm a HS track coach and last spring I bought my stud discus thrower a really nice discus: OTE High Moment. Very nice, it totally made a difference.

Problem is the aluminum sides are all bashed and dented up now. It was expensive and I don't want to buy a totally new one because the rim is still fine. I can't find a website for OTE and none of my track supplier magazines list any kind of replacement sides for this discus.

Can somebody help me out?
pogo
RE: OTE Discus Help!!! 3/2/2006 6:39PM - in reply to Discus Coach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"Eugene, Oregon is not only known as Track town but is home to OTE equipment. OTE stands for Oregon Training Equipment and this company produces some of the world’s finest discs and javelins. The javelins here are all designed by Dick Held who is world renowned for his work on tail flight. All javelins are hand built here as are their discii. I have bought equipment from them in the past and this time I was offered the chance of going around the discus factory. OTE was sold to Gill Athletics who sell their own discus as well as OTE, Hollowood and Obol amongst others."

.I'd contact Gill for a new plate/
Rolling Rock
RE: OTE Discus Help!!! 3/2/2006 8:34PM - in reply to Discus Coach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
While we're on the topic of disci, what is the difference in throwing feel between the more expensive High Moment/ high rim weight discus versus the cheaper Low Spin discus. All I've seen is that beginners use Low Spin, experts use High Spin. So are all the elites using High Spin. Various throwing websites don't adequately (sp?) answer this question.
nothing
RE: OTE Discus Help!!! 3/2/2006 8:46PM - in reply to Rolling Rock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Okay

Low spin is for a thrower that is not putting much energy on the discus. You need a lot of speed upon release to take advantage of a high rim weight discus. The rim weighs more thus it will spin faster when enough force is applied.

Low rim weight or low spin discs are very benneficial for beginning throwers as they do not have to put much on the disc to get it to fly.

Hope that helps
nothing
RE: OTE Discus Help!!! 3/2/2006 8:48PM - in reply to Discus Coach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You can try to take the discus apart and smooth out the dents. However, you are probably going to have to purchase a new discus.

A couple pieces of advice. Purchase three or four of the cheapest high rim weight disucs you can find for everyday practice. Purchase one nice discus for competition. Also try to declutter your landing area of rocks, bottle caps and other crap that can destroy a discus.
Rolling Rock
RE: OTE Discus Help!!! 3/3/2006 12:42AM - in reply to nothing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks nothing.
Discus Coach
RE: OTE Discus Help!!! 3/3/2006 8:24AM - in reply to pogo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I called Gill this morning and they told me that they don't sell replacement side plates. I find this hard to believe can anyone confirm or deny this? No way can I justify spending another $155 on one discus that will get trashed in another year.

Can anyone comment or recommend a 1.6k high Spin Discus from this list?

UCS Purple Flyer. Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic Side. $228
UCS Orange Flyer. Fiberglass Reinformced Plastic. $171
Nelco Super Spin. ABS Plastic Sides. $99
Nelco Premier I Black. No description. $119
First Place Black. ABS Plastic Sides. $159
Pacer Stealth. ABS Plastic Sides. $157
Pace Gold. Carbon Reinforced Fiberglass. $295
Stackhouse Ultima II. XPT side plate. $169
Stackhouse Supra Black Discus. XPT side plate. $151

Who can speak to the performance and durability of the Fiberglass, ABS, and XPT?

A little background on my throwers which might be relevant...last year my athlete threw 151 feet as junior and he's been to several training camps over the summer and this winter. He works hard and has gained significant strength. I think he has the potential to throw 160-175 this spring. I also have a junior this year who I think can improve from 135 to around 155. My throws program is just really starting to get developed as I learn more about this event.

I'm told that the discus you throw makes a difference. h
Graham
RE: OTE Discus Help!!! 3/3/2006 11:55AM - in reply to Discus Coach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I coach throwing events in college and here's what my experience has taught me: Typically, rims are not sold separately of discs. If the rim of a discus is burred up and dented, it won't be competition legal at bigger meets like conference, regional or state/national championships. You'll have to check at weigh-in of every meet to be sure it's legal.
Somebody has already made the point that it's a VERY good idea to have practice discus and competition discus. I agree with this. We have 1-2 men's and women's discs that are used ONLY at meets. Everything else is for use at practice. If your expensive new discus is broken up too badly, it might be time to demote it to "practice discus" and buy a new meet discus to replace it.
Also, if your budget doesn't allow for too many "practice discus", there are a couple of other things you can do: Throw a larger orange cone. It's a very good substitute, if you can't get anything else.
As far as actual products I'd recommend, there are several pretty good discs that you won't break the bank on. They're all in the MF Athletics catalog.
First Place and Polanik both make pretty good low-end (pricewise) products: They're ABS Plastic sides with steel rims and they usually run about 35-70 dollars. Buying some rubber discus is another possibility. Those can usually be picked up for 20 dollars or less, a piece.
I hope this helps. Good luck with your season and your shopping!
Discus Coach
RE: OTE Discus Help!!! 3/3/2006 12:30PM - in reply to Graham Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Graham:

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like solid advice. I'll check out MF Athletics and even give the cone throwing a try in practice.
nothing
RE: OTE Discus Help!!! 3/3/2006 1:12PM - in reply to Graham Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I agree. You can find inexpensive discs out there you just have to look. I'd purchase another good competition discus and a bunch of rubber plates for training.

Also take a look at your impact area and clear it of all clutter that can damage a discus.
throwing bear
RE: OTE Discus Help!!! 3/3/2006 6:38PM - in reply to nothing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A 160-175' discus thrower doesn't need to throw a disc with a really, really high rim weight. A lot of high schoolers use too high a rim weight and it often results in wobbly throws, throws that turn over, etc. I would recommend a medium rimweight disc-they fly well and are less risky at big meets when nerves are high and technique fails. OTE and Hollowood discs are my favorite, but Nordic also makes some good ones.
Denfi
Skymaster 1.6K 3/3/2006 6:48PM - in reply to throwing bear Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
High School Boys Record 234'3" (41.41M) was w/ 1.6K Skymaster. Best Discus on the market but hard to get.
Ernest Tuff
RE: Skymaster 1.6K 8/7/2010 5:37PM - in reply to Denfi Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hello Denfi,
I'm afraid you made a mistake in your calculation of 234'3" that is over 71 meters and not 41.
Toughern
pogo
RE: Skymaster 1.6K 8/7/2010 6:41PM - in reply to Ernest Tuff Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Ernest Tuff wrote:

Hello Denfi,
I'm afraid you made a mistake in your calculation of 234'3" that is over 71 meters and not 41.
Toughern

You need to be banned for life for resurrecting this thread.
True Statement
RE: OTE Discus Help!!! 8/7/2010 8:51PM - in reply to Discus Coach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I called Gill this morning and they told me that they don't sell replacement side plates. I find this hard to believe can anyone confirm or deny this? No way can I justify spending another $155 on one discus that will get trashed in another year.

This is untrue. I just had the same discus only (2k) rebuilt in May. You have to send the discus to Gill and they will repair if for about 100 bucks. Talk to Jen Vanderlott at Gill.