Two Recommended Reads
1) Alan Webb's Primed To Start Comeback On August 14th After a brief racing stint in Europe, both he and Galen Rupp will be getting married.
2) Andrew Wheating: "Oh Crap, I got fourth (in Monaco)." A great brief chat with the US star, who says it's all about winning for him. Sadly, a "family priority" in mid August may prevent him from contintuing to race.
Another Interesting Read
Man Blogs About Drinking 13 Beers While Running 13 Miles At SF Half Marathon No, he didn't die in the process.
African Champs Underway *Results
Thursday: Vivian Cheruiyot Dispatches Meseret Defar & 5 Others In Final Lap Of Women's 5k 7 women were in contention heading into the final lap, but Cheruiyot destroyed Defar and Diamond League leader Ejigu over the final 400.
IAAF Recap Of Day 2: In the men's 100, Ivorian Ben Youssef Meite pulled off a stunner. *Kenyan Stars Of Past Are In Stands Enjoying The Action
*All Kenyans Make 800 Final
*Two Kenyan 400 Guys Make Final
via ActionPixsWednesday: Wilson Kiprop Wins 10,000m To Give Kenya Its First Gold At African Champs Sileshi Sihine was no match for Kiprop on the opening day of the African Champs in Kenya. Kiprop, a marathoner doing marathon training, is coached by LetsRun.com message board poster Renato Canova, who has posted about Kiprop's win. He did his last long run 7 days ago.
*Famed Coach Renato Canova Posts About The Win And Training Of His Marathoner Wilson Kiprop In The 10k He also has some info on Mo Farah's training.
*Video Highlights Of Men's 10,000m At 2010 African Champs
*World 5k Champ Vivian Cheruiyot Going For First Women's Gold Today For Kenya
More: Kaki Drops Out Of Showdown With Rudisha In 800m At African Champs Kaki a week ago had said he may not run. So it looks like he was just ducking Rudisha.
Andrew Wheating Signs With ... Nike Wheating says he is excited to stay in Eugene. And his recent performances likely got him a ton more money. The only question we have is couldn't he have stayed in Eugene if he signed with someone else? Seems like a good result for Wheating and Nike.
Discuss: Wheating Signs With ... Nike
More $$$ News: South Carolina Hurlder Johnny Dutch Gives Up A Year Of Eligibility To Turn Pro
It's Official August 6th
CAC Champs *Results
The Only Must-Read In The Industry
LRC The Week That Was We start our weekly recap by analyzing the magnificent men's 1,500 in Monaco. Then we talk about Alysia Johnson and Lauren Fleshman before educating our viewers on the "Myth of Prodigy and Why It Matters," which then causes us to give a warning to Jordan Hasay fans with a little help from famed author Malcolm Gladwell. We then praise Robby Andrews and Cas Loxsom and Emily Sisson. Plus we talk about the Taliban, Charles van Commenee and much more.
Thanks To LetsRun.com Community
LRC Kevin McDermott Recovering From Paralysis 1 year ago, Sean McDermott appealed to the LetsRun community for support for his paralyzed brother Kevin, a former runner at Duke. Over 250 LRC readers donated and Sean wrote to thank us and point us to a video of Kevin's recovery process.
- Recommended Read #1 Molly Huddle Talks With Upstate NY Paper About Her Spike In Success In 2010 She ran her 14:51 PR on her dad's bday.
- Recommended Read #2 Extensive Interview With Horace Ashenfelter, 1952 Olympic Steeple Champion And WR Holder In 8:45 Employee #1 was fascinated that he could have been a WR holder 60 years ago.
- Recommended Read #3 Interview With Chris Solinsky Where He Talks About His Training
- Hayward Hosting "Competition Not Conflict" Carnival Centered Around Track And Field
- NASA Satellite Project Astrophysicist Runs 2:23, Setting New San Francisco Marathon Record
- Justin Gatlin To Return To Action August 3rd In Estonia He'll also race August 8th.
Ritzenheins have 2nd child - the next prodigy is a boy (Ritz's other child is a 3-year-old girl).
2 Years Until London - British News
- Seb Coe Makes Passionate Call To Londoners To Make 2012 Olympics Their Own By Volunteering And Planning Ahead
- Statistician Argues That Van Commenee Is Hurting British Athletics By Denying 31 Athletes Chance To Compete In Barcelona UK Athletics boss Van Commenee had really difficult standards to make the team that resulted in about 31 athletes not going to Euros despite having the qualifying time.
- Michael Johnson Tells Brits They Need To Live Like Hermits To Win Gold At Home MJ: "You have to be in a bubble."
Interesting Random Running Writing
- Quinnipiac Running Teams Factor In Judge's Title IX Decisions Athletic powerhouse Quinnipiac is drawing criticism for skewing their Title IX numbers by claiming cheerleaders are athletes and claiming 3-sport women's runners should count for 3 sports. Ridiculous.
*Boards: Quinnipac Title IX Decision
- Officials Refuse To Offer Condoms Directly To Athletes At World Youth Olympics
- Brett Larner Of JapanRunningNews Writes About Runners Using Accupuncture
Overwhelms Strong Field And Wanjiru In Castelbuono Wanjiru dropped out with breathing problems. This race is definitely our type of road race. 36 runners total and the town loves it and comes out to watch. Running as a spectator sport ... amazing.
Pre-Race: Italy's Smallest Road Race Packs The Biggest Punch With Only 36 Entrants, Including Wanjiru, Cheruiyot, Kwambai And Tadese Read the details about the race - definitely the most interesting elite road race in Europe.
- Ryan Gregson Talks With Home Media After Breaking Aussie 1,500 Record With Unbelievable PR Drop Ryan Gregson, like Andrew Wheating, took his already studly 1,500/mile best down by about 4 seconds in Monaco.
- Craig Mottram Spotted - Will Attempt 3k With Rabbits Aiming For 7:45
Dave Bedford To Step Down As Virgin London Marathon Director The man who has made London into the richest and most competitive marathon in the world is planning his succession and won't step down until 2013.
2010 Europeans *Live Results *Live Updates *Live Video *Live Chat
Champ Philips Idowu PRs To Win Triple Jump As Teddy Tamgho
*IAAF Recap Of Thursday's Action
*Crazy: 3 Days Before Winning 10k, Abeylegesse Almost Died In Turkey
*Barcelona May Be Last Hurray For Olympic Champ Stefano Baldini
*1992 Olympic Champ Fermin Chaco Picks Manuel Olmedo For 1,500 Gold Cacho won gold on the same track.
*MLF Credits Linford Christie With Silver In Men's 100m
Wednesday: Christophe Lemaitre Wins European 100m The 20-year-old Frenchman is very good, as he triumphed by .07 over 4 guys who had the same time in 2nd through 5th. Getting the silver medal? Mark Lewis
Francis, who ran 9.97 in 2001 as a 19-year-old. *European Day 2 Recap From IAAF
More 100m: *Video Of Men's 100 *2010: Christophe Lemaitre set for the big time, 2001 Mark Lewis Francis Set for Big Time Telegraph
*Pat Butcher: Lemaitre Is Future But MLF Is Biggest Surprise
*How The Golden Boy Lemaitre Can Get Faster BBC
*Mark Lewis Francis Ecstatic Over Silver In 100m
Women's 10k: *Elvan Abeylegesse Easily Wins 10k At Europeans
*Mo Farah And Chris Thompson Reflect On What Their 1-2 In European 10k Means For British Athletics
Farah First Briton To Win Euro 10k As Eugene's Chris Thompson Nabs Silver It was a fantastic finish for Great Britain, as Mo Farah sprinted past Spaniard Ayad Landassem with 300 left and Chris Thompson (coached by Mark Rowland in Eugene) got silver by less than 0.01 on the final event of the first day from Barcelona. The British announcers and UK Athletics people were going crazy, as 4 years ago there wasn't a single British male in the European 10,000. The women's 800 produced some major fireworks as two runners broke 2:00 and didn't advance, including the 4th placer at Worlds last summer in Yuliya Krevsun.
*Men's 10,000m Results
*Recommended Read: The Long Road To Success Tom Fordyce looks at the twists and turns Farah and Thompson have had to navigate to get their 1-2 finish at Europeans.
*Boards: Renato Canova Weighs In On 10,000m Prediction Thread Canova got the top 2 right but didn't predict the surprising bronze of his own Italian countryman Daniele Meucci.
*Irish Paralympic Athlete Makes 100m Semis The dude is sight impaired.
*Men's 400: Borlee Twins, Formerly Of FSU, Favored In Euro 400
*Martyn Rooney May Have Something To Say About 400m Gold
More From "B10" European Championships In Barcelona
- European Champs Preview This meet is a big deal in Europe, as it is only held every 4 years (until 2012 when the meet is going to diminish itself by being held before the Olympics).
- British Coach: Euros Every 2 Years A Mistake
- Colin Jackson's 5 To Watch At Europeans
- Men's 100: *Lemaitre Rumored Injured, Limps Off Track After Winning 1st Heat In 10.19 Dwain Chambers was 2nd fastest on the day.
*Is It OK To Discuss Christophe Lemaitre's Race? It certainly is okay on LetsRun.com.
- Men's 400: Borlee Twins, Formerly Of FSU, Favored In Euro 400
2010 World Juniors *Final Results
*LRC Photos: *Final Day And Photo Index *Day 6 (5k, 800 Semis, PV) *Day 5 PM (Girls/Boys 200) *Day 5 AM *Day 4 PM *Day
3 PM *Day
2 AM *Day
Final Day: Loxsom Silver, Andrews Bronze The touted Americans were rolling to glory in 1-2 with less than 100m to go, but Kenyan David Mutua charged ahead from 4th and got the win in a PR as Cas Loxsom beat Robbie Andrews for the second time in a month and lowered his PR to 1:46.57.
*Jordan Hasay Gets 4th In 1,500 And Barely Misses Out On The Medals Again An Irish silver is the big surprise.
*USATF Final Day Recap: McCullough And Relays Win For US As Loxsom And Andrews Go Silver, Bronze In 800 First ever medals for the US at the world junior mid-distances. Conor McCullough set a championship record in the hammer and the US 4 x 4s made it an American relay sweep 4/4.
*Vid: Loxsom And Andrews Do Lap Of Honor After 800m Medals
*Andrews And Loxsom First Americans To Medal In World Junior Middle-Distance Event UVA recap names Gabe Jennings (5th, 1998) as the previous top-placing US mid-d boy.
*IAAF Recap Of Final Day Of World Juniors Kenya swept every male distance gold and beat the US in the medal table as each had 15, but Kenya nabbed 7 golds, including Jonathan Ndiku (left), who ran 8:23 in the steeple.
*16-Year-Old Jodie Williams Says She's Okay After 152-0 Streak Ends In World Junior 200 It may have been the longest win streak in track and field history.
On The Boards: Jordan Hasay gets 4th and barely misses out on the medals again
*Andrews Silver, Loxsom Bronze World Junior 800m It's what most people might have expected, but the poster has the names backwards.
More World Juniors
*Day 6: Cas Loxsom And Robby Andrews Win Their 800 Semis As US Romps Over Jamaican
4 x 100s
IAAF Recap In the penultimate day of the 2010 world junior championships, US runners Cas Loxsom and Robby Andrews are now among the 800m medal favorites, while Kenya went a fast 1-2 in the men's 5,000 (Trevor Dunbar ran in no man's land and finished 11th). In Andrews' heat there was a mad sprint for the finish that saw 2 runners DQed. Loxsom dominated by over 1 second in 1:46. The US boys beat Dexter Lee and Jamaica in the 4 x 1 while Stormy Kendrick led the
girls to a new American junior record.
*Video: Confident Loxsom jokes, "Robby Andrews, come get me."
*Sunday Final Day: Boys 800 final and Jordan Hasay in the girls 1,500 final.
Photo Left: David Bett of Kenya takes the 5,000 in 13:23 to lead a Kenyan 1-2 on Saturday (Bett and John Kipkoech were out in 8:25 through 3,200).
*Day 5 - PM Recap From IAAF: Japan's Shota Iizuka Wins Historic Gold At 200m As Jodie Williams Loses For First Time In other action, Jehue Gordon, who was 4th in the senior World Champs last year, barely beat a Japanese runner in the 400h.
*Day 5 - PM: Jodie Williams Loses 1st Race Of Her Life But Claims Silver In Girls 200m
*Day 5 - AM: Andrews & Loxsom Advance In 800 As Trevor Barron Smashes US Race-Walk 10k Record But Only Finishes 7th Loxsom: "I felt a lot better today than I have in a while. I had a lot of confidence and thought I could go 1:45 if I had to."
*Thursday: Thanks To 55-Second 1st And Last Laps, World Jr XC Champ Caleb Ndiku Wins 1,500 In 3:37.39 Prep star Ajee Wilson ran a PR in the 800m (2:04.18).
*NCAA 400m Champ Kirani James Wins 400 But Isn't Happy About It