New York Is Sunday *Men's Preview *Women's Preview
LRC 2013 New York City Marathon Women's Preview: Who Wins $600,000 In Epic Clash Between Edna Kiplagat And Priscah Jeptoo? A lot more than
glory will be on the line on Sunday in New York when the top two women marathoners in the world clash, as the $500,000 WMM title will be decided as well. We tell you who the favorite is and break down the Americans and pseudo-Americans.
LRC Men's Preview: Can Course Record Holder Geoffrey Mutai Hold Off Olympic Champ Stephen Kiprotich And London Champ Tsegaye Kebede?
- Recommended Read: NY Times Feature On NY's West Side Runners: Marathon As Melting Pot - Striving Immigrants Find Long Distance Running Far From Lonely In NYC Feeling proud of yourself for doubling? Did you do your first run at 4:30am before working all day as a plumber?
*MB: Great New York Times article on New York's West Side Runners - The Ultimate Blue Collar Runners
- Cloud259 NYC Marathon Podcast Preview: Pro Athlete Manager Sam Grotewold Talks About Elites Riding In The Lead Car This year, Kim Conley, Neely Spence and Sam Chelanga will be in the lead vehicle, but Grotewold also talks about when Bernard Lagat rode in it back in 2008 (discussion begins at the 18:55 into podcast).
- NYC Marathon Charity Entrants Down By 3,000 Race attributes the drop to lingering effect of Superstorm Sandy.
- AP: NYC Marathon Goes On After Last Year's Cancellation And Boston Marathon Attacks
- RIP Australian Distance Legend Albert "Albie" Thomas Thomas dedicated his life to running as he set multiple WRs and competed at 3 Olympic Games and then became a coach and won World Masters titles after he "retired." He had a big breakthrough in 1954 when he unexpectedly made the Olympic team after he had already purchased tickets a year before for him and his girlfriend to go watch.
- IAAF Q&A With World High Jump Champion Bohdan Bondarenko On What He Does In Training And Outside Life He says one of his favorite training sessions is actually to just play volleyball. Makes sense for a high jumper.
- 2008 Olympic Heptathlon Champion Natallia Dobrynska Announces Her Retirement "It's always difficult for athletes to retire. You always think that you could do more."
Other Weekend Results
- Kenyans Nixon Kipkoech Machichim And Mercy Jerotich Kibarus Win Venice Marathon Machichim won in a sprint finish, beating Raymond Kandie by 1 second in 2:13:10. Italy's Euro XC champ Andrea Lalli made his marathon debut in 2:14:16. Kibarus won the women's race easily in 2:31:14.
- Ethiopia's Mule Wasihum And Kenya's Josephine Chepkoech Win Tactical Races At Marseillle-Cassis 20K Wasihum won in 1:00:09, outkicking Cyprian Kotut (1:01:11) as the top 4 finished within 13 seconds of each other. Chepkoech won in 1:10:03, beating out Cynthia Jerotich (1:10:05).
- Caroline Chepkwony Wins Ljubljana Marathon In 2:27:27 Mulugeta Wami won the men's race in 2:10:26, beating Deribe Robi by four seconds.
- Lolo Jones Makes US Bobsled Team For World Cup This brings her one step closer to making the US team for the 2014 Winter Games. US gold medalist sprinter Lauryn Williams also made the World Cup team.
- German Fernandez 3rd In Portland XC Race Alan Webb's wife Julia (2nd) and Kara Goucher (4th) were in the women's race.
*MB: German Fernandez 3rd in random club XC race
- Dyestatcal Weekend HS Coverage: Sarah Baxter Dominates At Mt. SAC With A 16:11
*MB: Austin Tamango sophomore 1434 at Mt SAC
- Jason Hartman-Coached Elise Cranny Wins Colorado State Meet By 40 Seconds
- Kenya's William Chebor Wins Jakarta Marathon In 2:14:30
- The Only Sub-2 Hour Marathon You'll Live To See: 50,000 Children From 60 Countries Around The World Participate In Save The Children World Marathon Relay Challenge Students at schools try to challenge the marathon WRs by Wilson Kipsang and Paula Radcliffe, running the distance in 200m relay segments. The fastest 13 and younger team ran 1:51:39 and there was an adult/open section where a club team ran 1:42:22.
- Serbia's Surprise World Champs LJ Bronze Medalist Ivana Spanovic Hoping To Repeat Success At 2014 World Indoor Champs She set a NR in Moscow with 6.82m to get the bronze and his hoping for more of the same in 2014.
- New Zealand 63-Year-Old Grandmother Will Complete Her 100th Marathon Next Weekend In Auckland Apparently she'll be the 38th New Zealander to join the 100 marathon club. "I'm not a real runner," insists Charlotte Nasey.
- Interview With UK Heptathlete Katarina Johnson-Thompson She was 5th at Moscow World Champs.
LRC LRC NCAA XC National And Conference Fans Polls Voting Open Pre-NCAAs and Wisco are in the books and it's time for the LRC Fan Polls again just in time for this weekend's crucial conference action. We've got national and for the first time in 2013 conference poll voting. And you can't say we don't love you, as in addition to all the big conferences, we've added the American Athletic Conference, Big Sky and Big West. Voting now open.
LRC Week That Was 10/29/13 - Walking On At Wisconsin, Marathon Abstinence, And Wilson Kipsang's World Record Is Broken? (link fixed) This week, we give out free coaching advice to Alberto Salazar and Shannon Rowbury, introduce you to a true hero for walk-ons at Wisconsin, and talk about marathon abstinence and teetotalers at Rio 2016. Plus running in the Serengeti, bad running journalism and Wilson Kipsang's world record is broken?
More From Monday / The Weekend
- Speed Golf: RunnerSpace Video Coverage Of Speed Golf World Championships With Nick Wilis And Bernard Lagat Includes videos and interview with Willis and Lagat from both days.
*Video Of Willis' Full 18-Hole Round On Day 1
- Dublin Marathon: Seán Hehir (2:18:19) And Maria McCambridge (2:38:51) Win Dublin Marathon, Becoming First Joint Irish Winners Since 1993 Hehir was actually the first Irish man to win since 1993.
*Winners' Prize Money Includes New Car
*Runner Breaks "WR" For "Fastest Marathon Dressed As A Zombie" He ran 3:18.
*Wheelchair Racers Go 28 Miles After Taking Wrong Turn
- Marine Corps: Group Of 4 Men Finish Their 38th Straight Marine Corps Marathon The 4 have ran every edition of the marathon since it started. The fastest, a 74-year-old, ran 5:52.57.
- AW Recap Of Bristol Cross-Country Challenge
Top Weekend Action *Frankfurt Results
- World Speed Golf: Day 2: LRC Nick Willis Finishes 13th At 2013 World Speed Golf Championships, Bernard Lagat Is DFL
*Oregonian Recap With Video And Photos Of Lagat
- Frankfurt: Vincent Kipruto (2:06:15) And Caroline Kilel (2:22:34) Win Windy Frankfurt Marathon Mark Kiptoo was a very close second in 2:06:16 as Flomena Chepchirchir (2:23:00) and Birhane Dibaba 2:23:01 were 2nd and 3rd for the women. Elite race coordinator Christoph Kopp said that
he thought the race was 1:30 slower than it should have been on the men's side due to the conditions and "terrible" pacemakers.
*Kiptoo's 2:06:16 Makes It On Top 20 All-Time Fastest Marathon Debut List
- Sara Hall Wins Healdsburg Wine Country Half Marathon In 1:14:33 In Her Half Debut
- Marine Corps Marathon: Girma Bedada Wins Marine Corps Marathon By Over A Minute In 2:21:32 As Patrick Fernandez Was 2nd (2:22:52) US Army captain Kelly Calway won the women's race in 2:42:16 in what is one of the last things she'll do before deploying to Kuwait next week.
- Berlin Marathon Champ Florence Kiplagat Battles Strong Winds And Dominates Great South Run 10 Miler Winning By Almost 2 Minutes In 53:53 2012 10K World leader Emmanuel Bett won the men's race in 48:03 as SA's Stephen Mokoka was 48:22 and Uganda's Thomas Ayeko (who won the Great Birmingham Half last weekend) was back in 3rd (49:08).
- Kenneth Mung'ara (2:11:40) And Winfridah Kwamboka (2:33:18) Get The Wins At The Standard Chartered Nairobi International Marathon The women's race had some drama as another woman, Selina Ariong'onyang, initially crossed the line first but was later found to have cut the course. Ugandan Solomon Mutai won the accompanying half marathon in 1:02:55 as Corret Jepkoech won the women's in 1:11:52.
- World Speed Golf: Day 1: LRC Nick Willis In Sixth, Bernard Lagat In Last After Day 1 Of World Speed Golf Championships Bernard Lagat may be fast, but he's not a very good golfer as he put up a 118 in round 1. Nick Willis shot 86 in 44 minutes of play - but they weren't even the fastest runners in the
MB: World Speed Golf Champs Are Saturday And Sunday And Nick Willis Is One Of The Favorites - Official 2013 World Speed Golf Live Play-By-Play Discussion Thread *Meet Website
*MB: Bernard Lagat and Nick Willis to play speed golf?
- Sochi 2014 Olympic Flame Continues Torch Relay After Being Lit At North Pole For First Time
- Saint Petersburg, Russia Likely To Bid To Host 2024 Olympics
- Hurdler Eilidh Child Voted Scottish Athlete Of The Year
Continuing The Trend Of Elites Skipping XC Season: Alberto Salazar Says Mary Cain Will Most Likely Not Race Any Cross-Country Races This Fall As She Is Only Running 5 Miles A Day Trying To Change Her Form It was actually less than a year ago that Cain lost at Nike Cross Nationals to Sarah Baxter and many were looking forward to their rematch this year with the addition of other HS studs Elise Cranny and Alexa Efraimson.
More Doping Updates
- WADA Is "Very Frustrated" With Kenyan Authorities Over Lack Of Progress In Doping Investigation They Promised Over A Year Ago WADA's Africa Office Director Rodney Swigelaar: "We are very frustrated. It's more than a year now since we went there in October  and even longer since the rumors started to spread. ... We have not been informed that this task team is in place."
- WADA Officials Arrive In Jamaica For Anti-Doping Audit
- DailyMail Reports That JADCO "Whistleblower" Renee Anne Shirley Has Been Bullied Into Silence Apparently Jamaica's minster for sport went on national TV and said she was psychologically damaged.
- Global Post: Russia Finally Making Strides In Anti-Doping Fight Sports officials claim that their high number of positive tests is evidence that their revamped anti-doping system is finally working.
NCAA XC Conference Mania Is This Week
Ivy League Men's Cross-Country Preview: Will Columbia Hold Off
Princeton, Which Is Looking For Its Fourth Straight Title? Since there is little action going on this weekend, we thought we'd preview the conference we know best. Are you interested in previewing your favorite conference? Email us.
LRC 2013 Ivy League Women's Cross-Country Preview: Can Dartmouth And D'Agostino Stop Cornell From Three-Peating?
*Big 10: Wisconsin Coach Mick Byrne Previews This Sunday's Big 10 XC Championships
*PAC-12: Colorado Prepped To Host PAC-12 XC Championships This Saturday