Top Weekend Action From Stockholm, Chicago, Mauritius and Maine
LRC: Goucher Wins Rock 'N' Roll Chicago Outright In Impressive 1:08:05 Kara Goucher looked great in her final world championship marathon tune-up Sunday morning in Chicago. We recap the performance and give our assessment of Goucher's chances to medal in Berlin. The women's marathon is just under 3 weeks away.
Allyson Felix Is Back - LRC's Full DN Galan Recap Americans Jenny Barringer and Christin Wurth-Thomas took the 5,000m and 1,500m in impressive fashion while the USA men got a big boost in the high jump thanks to Jesse Williams.
*IAAF DN Galan Recap
*Tyson Gay Sends Another Message To Usain Bolt With 9.79 Hopefully we can help make the 2009 World Championships the most-watched track meet in a long time thanks to the Bolt/Gay rivalry.
Caster Semenya Runs 1:56.72 World Leader In African Youth Champs Update: Was Semenya Born A Hermaphrodite? Semenya, 18, won by almost 4 seconds in a 4-second PR (her IAAF photo is to the left). Before we get ahead of ourselves, 2nd-placer Winny Chebet was defeated
by Janeth Jepkosgei and Pamela Jelimo
by 6 seconds at the Kenyan Trials.
*South African Article On Semenya
*Aussie World Championship Team Preview
*Craig Mottram Says He Still Plans To Make Last Minute Aussie Berlin Team It doesn't seem too likely at this point as Mottram says he hasn't even resumed full training as of yet.
Getting Ready for Friday's DN Galan *Start List *Watch Stockholm's DN Galan Live Now Until 3:45pm EST *Time Schedule (Stockholm is 6 hrs ahead of NYC) *Results
*Jenny Barringer Hoping To Break 15:00 On Friday She also says that she's not surprised that Anna Willard has dropped out of the steeple for Worlds.
*IAAF Preview Of Stockholm The last big meet prior to Worlds is going to be great. Jenny Barringer comes out of hibernation to run the 5k against a ton of competition as Bernard Lagat, Nate Brannen and Leo M clash at 1k, and Borzakovskiy and Kaki at 800. Plus we'll find out just how hurt Tyson Gay is as he'll square off against Asafa Powell in the locale where Powell handed Bolt the only 100m loss of his life last year. Lastly, Wurth-Thomas and Rowbury versus the Olympic silver medallist Iryna Lishchynska in the 1,500.
Steph Twell Rips Alysia Johnson's Pacemaking In London The expected pace was 2:06 for 800 and yet it went out in 70. *MB Thread #1 On Johnson Pacing *MB Thread #2 On Johnson Pacing
Laura Roesler Pumped To Get Nike Gear For Pan Am Jrs 22 items is a lot.
News From Africa
*A Year After Missing Olympic Trials Due To Injury, David Rudisha Is Thrilled To Be Kenyan 800m Champ
*Kenya's Coach: "Nobody will double" - Plus Hopes For Having 4 x 400 Team Go Up In Smoke
*Ethiopia: Tons Of Doubles
Herculis Monaco Super GP
LRC: Maggie Vessey Stuns Herself & The World With 1:57.84 World Leader The woman who has entertained us all summer long did it again on Tuesday in Monaco with a breathtaking performance. Abubaker Kaki grabbed a big victory in the men's 800, as Nick Symmonds broke 1:44 for the first time. In women's action, one woman got the barrier she wanted as Christin Wurth-Thomas broke 2:00 for the first time, but Anna Willard failed to go sub-4:00 in the 1,500, where Maryam Yusuf Jamal stamped herself as the emphatic favorite for Worlds with a convincing win over Gelete Burka.
Monday Morning Recommended Reads
1. OC Register: Secret USA Drug Testing Efforts In 1984 Yielded Dozens Of Track And Field Positives *LRC Message Board Thread Here
2. Excellent Article On Jessica Ennis - World #1 In The Heptathlon Fountain, Kluft, Blonska and Sotherton are all out. Ennis is the only UK athlete with a top-3 performance in the world this year.
3. Fascinating Article On The "Appalling" State Of UK Throwers GBR didn't send a single male thrower to the 2008 Olympics.
Preparing For Worlds
- 2 In Bolt Training Group Snagged In Jamaican Doping Snare
- Arata Fujiwara Says He Is Ready For 3:00/km Pace In Berlin
- Nancy Jebet Lagat Preparing To Defend 1500m Global Title In Berlin She'll have tough competition from Maryam Jamal, Gelete Burka and the Russians and Americans.
- Haron Keitany Hungry For Gold - Must Upend Two Strong Teammates In Kiprop And Choge Keitany is a 3:30 guy and is probably Kenya's 3rd-best entrant in the Berlin 1,500m. You can watch the end of the Kenyan 1500 trials in the video to the right.
- Ohuruogu Brought Nearly To Tears By Tour Of 2012 Olympic Track Stadium
- India Federation Refuses To Sign WADA Whereabouts Rule Again civil rights of athletes are being cited.
- NRR: Women Evolving To Be More Beautiful, Men Not So Much Beautiful women have more babies, and more of their babies are females.
- Yoko Shibui Wins San Francisco Marathon As Berlin "Tune-Up" This happened last weekend. Only the Japanese do marathons as tune-ups for marathons.
- LA Marathon Stadium To Sea Route Gets Green Light We are glad to see this.
- Nice Article On Paige Higgins Of McMillan Elite Higgins moved to Flagstaff and McMillan and this year gets to run at Worlds for the USA in the marathon. For this strong but not amazingly talented runner, her dreams have become reality.
From The UK
- Pat Butcher On The Passing Of Roy Fowler, One Of The UK's Toughest Runners This is a history lesson and great tribute to a beloved athlete and human being.
- With 3 Years To Go Until London 2012, Seb Coe Gives Construction Update
Performance-Enhancing Drug/Apparel News
- Gert Thys, Suspended In 2006, Completely Exonerated By CAS, Awarded Prize Money And Lawyer's Fees His lawyer emailed us at LetsRun as Thys won his appeal after years of waiting.
- Jamaican Lanceford Spence Fails Drug Test And Is Denied Entry Into The US
- Jamaican Athletes' Hearing Delayed Again Until Monday
- Pope Meets World's Best Swimmers They haven't needed his blessing to set 36 world records and counting at the FINA World Championships in Rome ... all it takes is a new swimsuit. FINA has decided to ban the body suits beginning Jan. 1, 2010, but what about all of the records? Michael Phelps was unbelievable today, by the way. He's the only one setting records without the special suits.
- Science Of Sport Has Another Great Discussion Of Doping
Doping Hearings To Commence In Jamaica For Yohan Blake, Others Phenom Yohan Blake and two others will be replaced on the Jamaican relay pools for Berlin.
Jordan Hasay Wins Pan-Am Juniors Easily In 100-Degree Heat 4:26 in 100 degree heat with 99% humidity.
Haron Lagat Survives Bad Dog Attack While Running In Texas Lagat is a great guy and we are glad he survived relatively unharmed. Employee #1 raced with him in Chicago a couple years back. He's running Beach to Beacon Saturday.
Former UNC Coach Michael Wittlesley Finds Job With Kansas This is great news, as the coach of 2 consecutive NCAA champion DMR teams and a ton of distance and mid-distance all-Americans has found a job.
Andrew Lemoncello Has Decided To Give Up On Track In Favor Of Road Racing He wants to run half marathons and marathons and has bid the steeplechase adieu.
2000 Olympic 800-Meter Champ Nils Schumann Calls It A Career (translated from German)
Looking Ahead To Berlin
Big Talk Jackson Kivuna Dismisses Nick Symmonds As A Rival and Says He'll Win Gold In Berlin The 2006 world junior runner-up correctly realizes there was an unexpected winner in 2007 and he hopes history repeats itself.
*Moses Kipsiro's 7:30 Win in Monaco Was A National Record The World XC silver medallist is a threat at Worlds for sure as that was his first track race of the year.
Great LetsRun.com Offer 10% Off AND Free Shipping From RoadRunner Sports Click Here
Tyson Gay's 9.79 Smokes Field In Stockholm
In Case You Missed It
LetsRun.com Compiles Recent Junior Action From Around The World Highlights include:
- Wayne Davis Breaks Liu Xiang's Junior Hurdles Record And Curtis Beach Leads Decathlon To break Liu Xiang's 110 hurdles record is an amazing accomplishment.
- Get The Skinny On American Youth Phenoms From Junior Olympics
- McCullough Breaks Record And Wins Hammer By Over 40 Feet On Day 1
Maggie Vessey 1:57.84!!
LRC: The Week That Was Of course we cover the great action at the Kenyan Champs, tell you about Kenyan stupidity, and recap the action in London where American star Anna Willard continued her fine 2009. We also give you a history lesson and go back just 2 years ago this week, when Alan Webb was on top of the running world. Plus, we've got R&R (Rupp and Ritz), free advice for race directors, and American 800m runners Symmonds and Krummenacker covered.
Kenyan Trials Highlights
Bigger Version Here
LRC: Strong Ethiopian Marathon Teams Announced - Suspense Builds As To Who Will Make Women's 10k Team Our Ethiopian correspondent Teferi Debebe reports that Ethiopia's 10k team on the women's side is not set and that the Federation may leave off a 30:11.87 runner. Unbelievable. Plus an update on the men's marathon team and a photo from training.