Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Witty
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/20/2012 5:45PM - in reply to NYCRunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You must have missed the word "basically." Using the percentages above and assuming 50,000 entrants, you get:

7,000 from lottery (US and international)
22,000 from guaranteed entry
15,000 from Int'l Travel Partners
6,000 from Charity

Assuming the lottery is split 50/50 (my hunch it isn't and non tri-state area domestic people make up the bulk), then there are 3,500 international lottery people. 15,000 tour package people greatly dwarfs the 3,500 lottery internationals. Is that surprising considering that the tour package numbers are more valuable?
Otis Allan Glazebrook
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 5:50AM - in reply to Witty Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sounds like in the end they did what's right. Too bad ING didn't pull out sooner. This could have been done weeks ago with the right motivation.
Otis, My Man
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 7:11AM - in reply to Otis Allan Glazebrook Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I guess you've never worked had an insurance claim.
Hug This
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 7:39AM - in reply to Peace Out Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
pics???
hobbiejogger39493
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 7:47AM - in reply to Otis, My Man Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think it should be noted that since these #'s are from 2011, those guaranteed entries also included the 3x missed lottery people. Those entries are slowly disappearing over the next 3 (or is it 2 now?) years.

Guaranteed entries based on time are probably cut in half with the tougher times (just my own rough guess, but I wonder if it's not even less than that.)

I don't know what portion of those guaranteed entries were made up of the 9+1 people

I think it's a pretty fair resolution btw...
Citizen Runner
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 8:09AM - in reply to dpoppel Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

dpoppel wrote:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/running_dialogue/2011/04/ing-nyc-marathon-by-the-numbers-the-lottery-charity-guaranteed-entry-breakd

For 2011 entries:
14% from lottery
44% from guaranteed entry
30% from Int'l Travel Partners
12% from Charity

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the guaranteed entry category which is composed of time qualifiers, 9+1 qualifiers, and 3x lottery qualifiers. I thought I'd seen odds of getting in via the lottery that suggested they were about 1 in 3 with about 90,000 people entering via the lottery and I don't know how to reconcile that with the information above.

For what it's worth, one of the cool things about the NYCM is the international field which presumably comes from the international travel partners reserve. On the other hand I've looked at running London and I'm put off by the inability to get in except by paying big bucks for a travel package deal even though I'd qualify under "fast for age" guaranteed entry if I were a UK citizen.
Willard
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 8:35AM - in reply to dpoppel Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

dpoppel wrote:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/running_dialogue/2011/04/ing-nyc-marathon-by-the-numbers-the-lottery-charity-guaranteed-entry-breakd

For 2011 entries:
14% from lottery
12% from Charity

Interesting, I've always run it on time guaranteed entry. So basically the lottery odds will suck next year as the guarantee category will balloon.
adfdaf
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 8:48AM - in reply to Willard Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm wondering if they are going to eliminate some of the other guaranteed options for 2013, like time and 15+ completions. In their email they state that 9+1 folks will get in 2013, but mention none of the other guaranteed options. Furthering my paranoia this link was live yesterday morning when the announcement was made but no longer is.

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/Guaranteed_Entry_Guidelines.htm
bikila02
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 11:36AM - in reply to EZ10Miler Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am really disappointed how NYRR handles this case. I mean I have paid my full entry fee of more than 300 dollars for 2012 - A Marathon which was never started.
Now they want us to pay again for 2013. I say they are out of their minds. It is just about making money. I have run this race eight times and I'd like to continue doing so but I feel that the average runner has become nothing more than a money making cow. I have already written this to NYRR but I doubt I ever get an answer. Basically they are making twice the money for one race. That sucks big time. Tens of thousands of runners have made incredible efforts not only by training for months but also paying heavily priced airline tickets and Hotel fees.
Witty
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 11:45AM - in reply to bikila02 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So take your refund and STFU.
bikila02
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 11:59AM - in reply to Witty Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
@Witty, you don't seem as witty as your name suggests. I don't want to get down to your level otherwise I'd be with my nose on the ground.
Do you or anybody else like to pay twice for one race? If yes I'll tell you my bank account number and you can send the money to me.
marathonerfromNYC
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 12:06PM - in reply to bikila02 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just take the refund
akdaalawd
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 12:09PM - in reply to bikila02 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

bikila02 wrote:
Do you or anybody else like to pay twice for one race? If yes I'll tell you my bank account number and you can send the money to me.

I don't get your math. You aren't paying twice for one race. If you take your refund for this year, and run next year, you have only paid for one race.

The only thing the resolution changes is that it adds the option to use your refund to buy a guarantee for entry next year, which you couldn't do before and is entirely at your option. If you don't want or need a guarantee or want to take your chances with the lottery, then get a refund.

It sound to me like you are just grasping for things to complain about.
Mama Mama
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 12:19PM - in reply to bikila02 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm really disappointed that you can't understand the terms and conditions of your 2012 entry and that the resoltion surpasses what you agreed to in when completing your entry form.
dpoppel
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 12:39PM - in reply to Another Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have to say that I'm surprised that the point I'm trying to make is being missed for the most part.

The issue of a refund at all to anyone is one thing. Who can get a refund is another thing. My point is not the former, but the latter. The decision that there will be a refund has been made, but it's unfair who can get it. Why should fast runners, & 9+1 runners be the only ones to get a refund & still be able to get a future race entry? I'm being treated differently because I'm not fast enough & don't qualify for 9+1. I've really wanted to run NYC for years & feel this is most likely my only opportunity to do so. Therefore, I have to pay a heavy price compared to others who can get their refund & just get guaranteed entry again through those other avenues not available to me.
Witty
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 1:44PM - in reply to dpoppel Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

dpoppel wrote:

I have to say that I'm surprised that the point I'm trying to make is being missed for the most part.

The issue of a refund at all to anyone is one thing. Who can get a refund is another thing. My point is not the former, but the latter. The decision that there will be a refund has been made, but it's unfair who can get it. Why should fast runners, & 9+1 runners be the only ones to get a refund & still be able to get a future race entry? I'm being treated differently because I'm not fast enough & don't qualify for 9+1. I've really wanted to run NYC for years & feel this is most likely my only opportunity to do so. Therefore, I have to pay a heavy price compared to others who can get their refund & just get guaranteed entry again through those other avenues not available to me.

No. Fast people and 9+1 people from 2012, unlike you, can get entry into the 2013 race because they have done something extra, which you haven't not done.

You are just making up issues if you honestly think that 2013 is the only time you ever will be able to race it for the rest of your life. Don't you think you are being just a tad dramatic? Stop whining and STFU like the other guy.
Witty
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 1:47PM - in reply to bikila02 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

bikila02 wrote:

@Witty, you don't seem as witty as your name suggests. I don't want to get down to your level otherwise I'd be with my nose on the ground.

Which part of take the refund do not you not understand? I don't pay twice for the same race. Guess what I do? Take the refund and use the guaranteed time entry for 2013. I do enjoy reading whiny slow runners with a massive sense of entitlement complaining that they don't think that they are being treated fairly when they can get a 100%. Do us all a favor and STFU.
Witty
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 1:53PM - in reply to Citizen Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Citizen Runner wrote:

dpoppel wrote:

For 2011 entries:
14% from lottery
12% from Charity

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the guaranteed entry category which is composed of time qualifiers, 9+1 qualifiers, and 3x lottery qualifiers. I thought I'd seen odds of getting in via the lottery that suggested they were about 1 in 3 with about 90,000 people entering via the lottery and I don't know how to reconcile that with the information above.

For what it's worth, one of the cool things about the NYCM is the international field which presumably comes from the international travel partners reserve. On the other hand I've looked at running London and I'm put off by the inability to get in except by paying big bucks for a travel package deal even though I'd qualify under "fast for age" guaranteed entry if I were a UK citizen.

NYRR intentionally tries to keep the horrific odds of getting in via the lottery (particularly if you live in the NYC area) so as not to discourage people from entering it. The lottery alone generates over $1 million of revenue each year off of basically no work.
Mama Mama
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 1:58PM - in reply to dpoppel Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Your point isn't being missed. My point is the resolution is better than what you could've anticipated. The people already guaranteed for 2013 shouldn't be punished so that you can bring more folks into your misery camp.
Peace Out
RE: NYC Marathon Resolution 12/21/2012 2:18PM - in reply to marathonerfromNYC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am disgusted by all of the whining and complaining on the NYC Marathon Facebook page. Did people actually expect to get a free marathon in 2013, even after we all signed a waiver where we agreed NOT to get a refund if the race got cancelled? Even with the option to get their money back, people are still finding things to b!tch about. Amazing.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |