Pages: | 1 | 2 |
weight training + running???
Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/11/2012 8:09PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Putting aside having incredible genetics, is it possible to be very strong and also be good at racing at distances around 1500 metres?

Of course, I'm sorta being vague because I know I'm not particularly talented, and being "good" means different things for different people. I would like to be very capable at ~1500 m on track, at least as far as my genetics/talent can take me, and I'm currently running a good amount of distance to train for that, but I would also like to have general strength in all the major muscle groups. As far as running goes, I'm definitely a shorter-distance runner; when I run the 800 I run it like a sprinter runs it rather than like a miler runs it. But I'm not that competitive, I'm just trying to be good relative to my potential.

Obviously I don't want to bulk up, since that would definitely slow me down a lot. But from knowing some of my fellow athletes it seems possible to be strong without being bulky. I'm currently also doing things like using the rowing machine, doing flys with free weights, squats, sit-ups while holding weight, etc.

Is this going to harm me a lot? I mean, I guess I might gain a little bit of weight and this would slow me down a bit, but from looking at my friends who used to compete in college at 800/1500 distances, many of them were not skinny by a long shot.
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/11/2012 8:27PM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know a guy who is 6'1 and 160 and also a 3:44 1500 guy. What is your height and weight right now?
BFJ
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/11/2012 8:30PM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is actually a very common thing, especially among college athletes. A regular weight training regiment helps to build overall fitness and strength of the body, this prevents injury and shortens recovery time.
With a stronger body you can handle a higher workload as well, the only thing I would stress is more reps and less weight. You want strong muscles, not big muscles. I rarely do anything below 10 reps for any workout.
Go for it, and good luck!
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/11/2012 8:33PM - in reply to 52.7 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
5'8" and ~145 to 150 pounds. I have actually never timed a 1500 m but last year I could run 52 and 2:06 for 400/800. I'm willing to lose weight, as that seems to be something that one needs to do to be faster at longer distances, but I guess I don't really want to lose strength, at least not appreciably. I guess it's a bit of an unrealistic expectation, maybe =P
Not a Psychologist
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/11/2012 8:42PM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

weight training + running??? wrote:Putting aside having incredible genetics, is it possible to be very strong and also be good at racing at distances around 1500 metres?

Given this statement only...yes. If you believe then it's possible. Period.
BFJ
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/11/2012 8:54PM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Lifting weights creates more muscles. The more muscles you have the higher your metabolism is when at rest.
You may not lose weight, but everyone who trains right lowers their body fat percentage by alot.
Truths and falses
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/11/2012 8:54PM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Op

What do you consider to be strong? And what do you consider to be fast at 1500? Don't be vague. Give us some lifts in pounds and a 1500m time in minutes and seconds.
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/11/2012 9:32PM - in reply to Truths and falses Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
OK, I will not be vague. I am 5'8'' 145 pounds. I would like squat (a real squat) twice my body weight and bench press 200 pounds. I ideal goals for running would be 2:00/4:15 over 800/1500 metres.

Current stats:

- 245 full squat, 190 bench press
- 2:06 800 m (last year)
- unknown 1500 m, very doubtful I could run sub 4:40 since I just started doing distance runs
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/11/2012 9:35PM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Also, for those weights, I don't just mean a single rep, I mean a full set (for reasonable definitions of "full set") at those weights.
Truths and falses
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/11/2012 10:10PM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Why are you so vague? Define what a "full set" is. And it looks like you're already at your bench press goal (10 lbs could just be a matter of warming up properly).
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/11/2012 10:25PM - in reply to Truths and falses Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
OK, if I can do 3 sets of 8 reps with only a short rest between, that would be a full set.

I'm only being vague because I don't think it's the numbers that matter. What I'm really asking is will my strength training and running training interfere with each other significantly, assuming I want to improve both. I don't care about being a weightlifting superstar or a track star. But I would like to continue to pursue my athletics limits in both areas at the same time.
The Average Letsrunner
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/11/2012 10:49PM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Everybody on this message board runs sub 16 5k and benches 300.
Unlimited
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/11/2012 11:22PM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Why are you placing a limit on your athletic capabilities???
Cinci Runner
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/11/2012 11:54PM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The short answer is yes. You can easily get much faster than you currently are and also much stronger. When I was a serious runner, I ran 1:58 and 3:56 with a bench press of 225 max. That was several years ago when I weighed 145 ish. I now weigh 180 and bench 340. I am much slower, but could still manage 2:10/4:20 I am guessing. How old are you?
big framed
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/12/2012 3:06PM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was a distance runner who people always confused with a football player as I was naturally big and wide framed.

5 11' 170
1:58 800
52.3 400
2:34 1000m
4:06 1500
4:26 mile
26:30 8k

205 x 3 Bench
300 Squat x 10

The stronger I got I probably was getting slower too. Focus on core.
Precious Roy
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/12/2012 3:25PM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

weight training + running??? wrote:

Obviously I don't want to bulk up, since that would definitely slow me down a lot. But from knowing some of my fellow athletes it seems possible to be strong without being bulky.

The amount of muscle you put on when weight training is mostly a function of genetics. Ectomorphs will not gain much muscle mass even though they improve strength. Mesomorphs and endomorphs will put on more muscle mass as they gain strength.

Also, a reasonable weight routine will not make you huge. Just stay away from the protein shakes and high volume weight training sessions. One hour, three times a week is plenty to allow you to gain strength without getting huge.
what?!?!?!
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/12/2012 3:43PM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You don't need to worry about getting too big. Most people who lift and do not do any cardio still have a tough time putting on muscle. There are thousands of books and website devoted to that problem. I currently still run about 30 miles a week. My racing weight in college was 150 at 6'1". Now I am 210 and can still wear the same pants I wore when I was 150. I've been lifting consistently for about 4 years now. That's four years of lifting 4x a week with minimal cardio to put on 60 pounds. That is a tremendous amount of time and effort to put in to achieve that. Do light weight high rep stuff. You'll see an imediate improvement in your physique but the gains will trail off and you won't notice huge jumps in weight or size.
LiftHeavy
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 7/13/2012 7:52AM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
With your lifts, I would recommend doing heavy sets of about 1-5 reps for 3-5 sets. This triggers a testosterone response, especially with the squats, that will promote muscle growth and strength gains. The hormonal response will probably help your runs as well, especially considering your races are closer to sprints.

If anything, you will compromise strength by running, but you will not compromise your running by lifting.
Spidercoach
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 12/8/2012 1:50PM - in reply to weight training + running??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
CrossFit my friend!

www.crossfit.com

You will need to tweak the programing and modify but it is very possible to be a skinny beast!
strength guy
RE: Is there any way to be very strong but also good at distance running? 12/8/2012 1:58PM - in reply to Spidercoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Carrying around excess muscle is not a good thing, but reasonable muscle and size is not a death knell to a distance runner, and there have been plenty of examples of guys who have had success while "strong" by distance runner standards.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |