seeking sum advice
Irregular heartbeat, should I be worried? 9/4/2011 4:03PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know this isn't probably the best place for medical advice but I thought I'd ask to get some opinions before scheduling an appointment with my doc. I've noticed that my pulse is somewhat irregular when I take my blood pressure (the irregular heartbeat indicator goes off) but my blood pressure is normal. Here's the thing, it only seems to happen when I check my BP in the afternoon. In the morning and evening, pulse is normal. When I listen to my heartbeat with a stethoscope during the period when I get the irregular heartbeat, I can hear that the pulse is sometimes not steady, I can sometimes hear a normal beat followed by 2 or 3 quick beats. I don't even notice any symptoms and wouldn't have known of an irregular heartbeat without actively checking my pulse.

Just some background of me, Late 30s guy, no obvious symptoms like fainting/dizziness or racing heart, been running seriously around 6 years w/ 80-100 miles a week currently. My resting HB rate is low 50s. Some family history of hypertension.

I didn't have an ECG during my last physical and I'm not due for another physical until next year. Should I be concerned enough to schedule an appointment w/ my doctor? Just like to get some thoughts to see if anyone out there might have some similar experiences.
seeking sum advice
RE: Irregular heartbeat, should I be worried? 9/4/2011 7:00PM - in reply to seeking sum advice Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump...I forgot to mention that I sometimes do my runs in the mornings.
dim sum
RE: Irregular heartbeat, should I be worried? 9/4/2011 7:09PM - in reply to seeking sum advice Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you're in your 30s and in very good health (running 80+ miles/week), why are you taking your blood pressure and checking your heartbeat all the time?

I am not a doctor, but it seems to me that you may be "worrying yourself sick." And yes, I have gone to the doctor with heart complaints that (it seems) I'd imagined.
seeking sum advice
RE: Irregular heartbeat, should I be worried? 9/4/2011 7:15PM - in reply to dim sum Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well, I check my blood pressure because high blood pressure runs in my family. I check my pulse regularly to see if I may be overtraining. I agree that I may be worrying needlessly but that's just me.
some crazy runner guy
RE: Irregular heartbeat, should I be worried? 9/4/2011 7:27PM - in reply to seeking sum advice Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If the monitor is going off it can't hurt to have it checked out. The worst the doctor will say is you are healthy and fine. However if you do have a medical problem there is a good chance they can cure or control it.
seeking sum advice
RE: Irregular heartbeat, should I be worried? 9/5/2011 8:10AM - in reply to some crazy runner guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I wasn't sure if I was getting worried about nothing. Thought I might be overreacting.
electrophys
RE: Irregular heartbeat, should I be worried? 9/5/2011 8:23AM - in reply to seeking sum advice Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
hey man,

sounds like you could be throwing some PVCs or paroxysmal (fancy word for irregular) atrial fib with rapid ventricular response. either could be benign or could lead to dangerous heart rhythms that you want to take care of.

i work in NYC. where do you live? if you are in the tri-state area let me know and i'll give you names of the best guys in the area to go see. def go get it checked out.
seeking sum advice
RE: Irregular heartbeat, should I be worried? 9/5/2011 8:46AM - in reply to electrophys Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
im actually in the NoVa/DC area but thanks for the offer. Are you in the medical profession? Since it only seems to happening in certains times of the day, I was wondering why that might be? After effects of coffee, exercise come to mind?
Who is Doogie Howser for $100
RE: Irregular heartbeat, should I be worried? 9/5/2011 12:57PM - in reply to seeking sum advice Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Stop intake of all caffiene and alcohol for few weeks and see if they go away.