Darkwave
Women's Training and Recovery Thread, February 20, 2011 2/20/2011 6:42AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hi all - kicking off the weekly thread. In keeping with NLS's sentiments last week, I hope this week found us all continuing forward progress away from injury.

Highlight for me this week was getting to meet RacesLikeAGirl, AKA, Pfitzinger Plan, who has been a regular poster on this thread in the past. We sat down for dinner and started chatting, and when we next checked the time, nearly 4 hours had passed! Pretty cool when you find out that you get along with someone IRL as well as you do online.

Anyways, post em up. I'll be back later today to update with my week.
lalala
RE: Women's Training and Recovery Thread, February 20, 2011 2/20/2011 9:59AM - in reply to Darkwave Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That's great about meeting up--where do you guys live?

My week:

Mon AM 7 miles + stretch Mid-day PT
PM leg + back + core wgts
Tues AM 5 miles + stretch
Wed AM 8 miles + stretch
PM leg + chest + core wgts
Th AM 4 miles + stretch Mid-day PT
Fr AM 3 miles + stretch
PM 5 miles (3 walking)
Sat Off--out of town
Sun Planned 5-7 miles

Slightly pulled my inner thigh on Fri night attempting squats for the first time in a while, so that's healing but no big deal.

My hip continues to feel amazingly better! My PT is using something called ETPS--electrical stimulation that mimics accupuncture without puncturing. Really seems to be helping, so that's great.

Biggest problem is that I feel tired on lower mileage than I was doing 6 months ago, felt like I was already overtraining by mid-week (pre-mature awakening), but I'm hoping that an easy end of week got me back in check and I can continue increasing mileage next week.

Happy running everyone!
Darkwave
RE: Women's Training and Recovery Thread, February 20, 2011 2/20/2011 3:28PM - in reply to lalala Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Lalala - I'm in Washington, DC, but a business trip brought me pretty darn close to her. That's excellent about your hip! I hope things continue to progress.

As for me, I had to do some juggling this week, as I had a business trip on Wednesday-Friday, meaning that I ran my tempo during a very windy race on Saturday and pushed back my "long run" to this coming Monday (hence the lower mileage).

The tempo went fairly well -- 21:05 for 5K in pretty lousy conditions (sustained wind of 25 MPH, gusts up to 50). Not spectacular, but I'm still pretty early in my comeback, so I'll take it.

My week was 23 miles of “real running” and 65 “miles” pool running. It broke down like this:

Monday: In the morning, "12 miles” of easy pool-running – 2 hours. Did a "mat pilates" class that ended up being more of an abs class at night, followed by "2 miles" – 20 minutes easy pool-running

Tuesday: In the morning, 9 miles of easy land-running outside (8:32 pace), followed by “5 miles” of easy pool-running – 50 minutes.

In the evening, a weights session with a personal trainer, followed by 40 minutes easy pool-running for “4 more miles”.

Wednesday: In the morning, “14 miles” of pool-running, including a “track 800s workout” of 10x3:00 at hard effort, with 1:00 recovery, followed by full recovery, and then 30 minutes at aerobic effort. Drag luggage through train stations in afternoon.

Thursday: In the morning, 10 miles easy (8:40 pace) outside on somewhat uneven terrain.

Friday: In the morning, light strengthtraining followed by "7 miles" easy pool-running in hotel pool (70 minutes). Drag luggage through train stations in afternoon.

Saturday: In the morning, a 1 mile warm-up plus a 5K race as a tempo (21:05 for 6:47 pace, in horribly windy conditions). Followed with "10 more miles" in the pool (1:40 hours easy pool-running), and then a yoga class.

Sunday: In the morning, upper body strength-training; "10 miles" of easy pool-running (1:40 hours) in the afternoon.
lalala
RE: Women's Training and Recovery Thread, February 20, 2011 2/20/2011 3:39PM - in reply to Darkwave Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks DW. I just wish I could come (or could have come) anywhere your race times at any point in my life. :(

But congratulations to you--that's an awful lot esp considering the traveling. I pretty much always turn travel weeks into recovery weeks, so you are one dedicated chica. :)
setting the world on fire
RE: Women's Training and Recovery Thread, February 20, 2011 2/20/2011 3:49PM - in reply to Darkwave Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Darkwave: I have read this thread for a while so it is great to see that you are finally getting to add some running mileage. It is exciting to see.

As for me, great week. Work demads are going to mean fewer miles for a while, but I will just have to make them count that much more. I am the happiest and most excited I can remember being in a long time.

Monday: AM: 60 min SWEP, PM: 30 min, lift
Tuesday: AM: 30 min, lift, PM: 60 min, 6 strides
Wednesday: AM: 45 min, abs, PM 30 min
Thursday: 30 min, lift
Friday: AM: 60 min SWEP, PM: 30 min, lift
Saturday: 55 min recovery, lift
Sunday: 60 min, 6 strides, abs

This isn't going to happen again for a while, but that's ok. Like I said, different work schedule will be demanding but welcome.

Have a good week all. Run on...
Runner girl
RE: Women's Training and Recovery Thread, February 20, 2011 2/20/2011 5:15PM - in reply to setting the world on fire Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey Yall! I haven't posted in a while. I have been really busy.

Sunday- 15 miles w/ 10 of the middle miles upbeat

Monday- am- 3 miles
pm- 7 miles and 10x100s

Tuesday- Am- 2 mile warm up 4x2:30Fast/2:30 easy, 8x200Fast/200easy, 3 mile cooldown

Pm- 1.5 mile warm up, 8x200meter hill sprints/200 jog down, 1 mile cooldown

Wednesday- 10 miles w/ a fartlek @ the end.

Thursday- Am- 8 miles and 10x60s
pm- 3 miles

Friday- 6 miles

Saturday- Am- 1.5 miles
Pm- 2 mile warm up, 1 mile race- 5:08 My first collegiate win., 3 mile cooldown.
Races Like a Girl
RE: Women's Training and Recovery Thread, February 20, 2011 2/21/2011 6:47AM - in reply to Runner girl Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've been absent from this thread for many months -- convinced that no one wants to read about injury week in and week out (least of all me) -- but wanted to chime in now that Darkwave and I have met in real life. It was fun!

I was dubious about going for a run with you, Darkwave, due to all the snow and ice, but it looks like you found someplace to go up there in Rye Brook.

My mileage was an anemic ~35 this week but I recognize I'm on the comeback trail during a time when running outside is impossible most days. For now, I have three races as goals: a 5K in March, a 10K in April and a half in May. Then I look to the fall for marathon possibilities, wich candidates including Chicago, New York and Syracuse.

Warning: unforgivably long post.

http://raceslikeagirl.com/2011/02/20/training-feb-13-19/
Darkwave
RE: Women's Training and Recovery Thread, February 20, 2011 2/22/2011 4:07AM - in reply to Races Like a Girl Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Races Like a Girl wrote:

I've been absent from this thread for many months -- convinced that no one wants to read about injury week in and week out (least of all me)

Never stopped me....

Races Like a Girl wrote:
I was dubious about going for a run with you, Darkwave, due to all the snow and ice, but it looks like you found someplace to go up there in Rye Brook.

Yup -- basically did multiple loops of the parking lots of the resorts, plus some of the local residential developments. A bit mind-numbing (and more inclines than my coach would like, alas), but I got it done.

Runnergirl - Congrats on the WIN!

STWOF - It's good to read about positive developments on the work front. I totally understand about work getting in the way of running -- it happens.

Lalala - thanks for the kind words!
lalala
RE: Women's Training and Recovery Thread, February 20, 2011 2/22/2011 7:55AM - in reply to Darkwave Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
STWOF and Darkwave--

I read the last few entries of both of your blogs! Very inspiring, I might start my own!! I really enjoyed reading about your training in more detail and seeing pics as a bonus. Keep up the good work on training and blogging. :)
lalala
RE: Women's Training and Recovery Thread, February 20, 2011 2/22/2011 8:11AM - in reply to lalala Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sorry correction. I guess it was darkwave and races like a girl who have blogs that I read. STWOF--if you have a blog--my apologies, I haven't seen it yet. :)