Ouchie
Pain Above the Inside of the Ankle 1/15/2011 8:13AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I made a Dr. appointment, but it's not for another two weeks. About a month ago I felt a tight pain 2-3 inches above the knub on my ankle on the inside of my leg. The pain feels to be almost behind the bone or on the bone but not the achilles itself. Initially it hurt to walk on, but it hasn't since the first week. It takes about 10 minutes into a run before the pain starts to appear.

I'm assuming it's posterior tibial tendonitis, but I never had tendonitis last over a month. Just looking to see if anyone had something similar before. Any advice would be wonderful.
been there, been there
RE: Pain Above the Inside of the Ankle 1/15/2011 9:19AM - in reply to Ouchie Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
stress fracture.......if you press your thumb down on the area.....and there is localized pain.....stress fracture.......cancel the appt......only time will heal
Under Ultra
RE: Pain Above the Inside of the Ankle 1/15/2011 11:46AM - in reply to Ouchie Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have the same identical pain and have been getting treatment. Also thought it was PTT, but perhaps not, since the "hot-spot" is above the medial malleolus. I got an x-ray and doc has ruled out stress fracture. It is tendinitis of some sort in my opinion, but I've missed out on a month of training. Have run 2 miles/day the past week, pain-free, but I know it's not 100% and fear if I do more the pain will return. Put SuperFeet in my dress shoes to help heal during the day. Going back on Monday, so will let you know, but perhaps may have to get an MRI to see what's really going on, because it's frustrating and not going away with very good treatmetn (ART Doc).
Under Ultra
RE: Pain Above the Inside of the Ankle 1/15/2011 11:50AM - in reply to Under Ultra Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ouchie, did you feel the pain after a certain run and in what shoes? Mine came after a 22-miler on the roads (hilly) in a pair of Racer STs. I have now switched to neutral shoes (UA Assert a buddy hooked me up with), but keep me posted.
Burns 3
RE: Pain Above the Inside of the Ankle 1/15/2011 1:13PM - in reply to Under Ultra Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's tendonitis. You are over pronating because you're in neutral shoes(this true? I'm making an assumption). Take a day or two off--start wearing stability shoes and the pain will go away within a few more days.
Ouchie
RE: Pain Above the Inside of the Ankle 1/15/2011 1:14PM - in reply to Under Ultra Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Under Ultra wrote:

Ouchie, did you feel the pain after a certain run and in what shoes? Mine came after a 22-miler on the roads (hilly) in a pair of Racer STs. I have now switched to neutral shoes (UA Assert a buddy hooked me up with), but keep me posted.

I already avoid hills because of prior lower legs injuries. There was nothing special about the run, not even long.

I wear Mizuno WaveRiders which are pretty neutral.

Confident it's not a stress fracture. I had a tibial stress fracture(different spot) 5 years ago. Feels different. I can walk and jump on it, with zero pain. The pain isn't sharp when I run, it's more dull.
tibial fibualous
RE: Pain Above the Inside of the Ankle 1/15/2011 1:15PM - in reply to Ouchie Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Could be tendonitis. I had pain in that general area when I tried switching to a shoe with less stability/arch support. After a few days of pain, I took a few days off, a couple more easy, and did exercises found here:

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/tibialis-tendinitis.html

Iced it as well, numerous times a day. Also, switched back to my old shoe type. Pain went away after a week or two, but I still do some of those strengthening/stretching exercises.
been there, been there
RE: Pain Above the Inside of the Ankle 1/15/2011 1:33PM - in reply to tibial fibualous Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Its not tendinitis.........
burns 3
RE: Pain Above the Inside of the Ankle 1/15/2011 3:06PM - in reply to been there, been there Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
get into wave inspires (if you like the wave riders) and watch the pain go away. ive had the same exact problem.
Under Ultra
RE: Pain Above the Inside of the Ankle 1/16/2011 6:51PM - in reply to tibial fibualous Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
tibial fabuolous,

Thanks for those exercises. I was in some pain/discomfort last night after probably over-doing the exercises (desperate man), but by morning I awoke feeling close to 100% and had a great pain-free run, but more importantly, a pain-free post-run/morning.

Am tempted to cancel my appt tomorrow, but will go just in case for more treatment. Thanks a ton!

By the way, can you do them everyday?