needsomehelp
Right Hip Rotated Forward 8/12/2010 8:10AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My right hip, iliac crest, is rotated forward which makes my right leg functionally shorter which is causing patellar tendonitis in my right knee. When I look in the mirror, my right hip is lower than my left, which causes a slight dip in my left shoulder. My quads are imbalanced, with my right being smaller, especially on the inside of my knee (which is the muscle that supports your patella, hence patellar tendonitis). A lot of the time when I'm doing track work, I can feel the difference in my quads, where my left leg seems to be doing more work, although this has been improving over the last little while.

I have been to several different chiropractors over the past three years and they always seem to be able to adjust me, but after a day or sometimes less, it just get twisted up again. I have been running really well over the last 3 months so I have been able to train through it, smartly and icing after every run and taking rest when needed. I was just wondering if anyone here has dealt with this in the past and had any specific exercises or ways of adjusting themselves. For now I'll just stick to what I am doing and try to see the chiropractor as much as possible.
Thanks in advance for any help!
captain no beard
RE: Right Hip Rotated Forward 8/12/2010 8:23AM - in reply to needsomehelp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here is the problem with chiropractors. They realign you or whatever, but they don't fix the underlying problem, which is usually a muscle issue, something of that nature. If that isn't fixed, it will keep coming back. The right thing would be to see a good PT person, who can probably identify the underlying issue and help you fix it.
your psoas
RE: Right Hip Rotated Forward 8/12/2010 8:24AM - in reply to needsomehelp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It sounds like a tight right psoas. I'd recommend seeing an ART person. http://www.activerelease.com/providerSearch.asp

There's a ton of stretches mentioned on the net for the psoas, but the most common one mentioned on here is the "sink stretch".
http://www.julstro.com/what_happens_exactly.html

PT may be helpful too cause they'll put you through several functional tests, and then prescribe exercises to balance you out.
markeroon
RE: Right Hip Rotated Forward 8/12/2010 10:41AM - in reply to needsomehelp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It could be a number of things. A tight psoas certainly could be part of the cause, but I'd wager it'd be more due to the strength of your hips or a misalignment of your upper body. What do the chiropractors say about your back/shoulders?

Strengthening your inner thigh will probably help with the symptoms, but it's unlikely to help with the underlying cause. Do you do clamshells, side-lying leg raises, etc?
needsomehelp
RE: Right Hip Rotated Forward 8/12/2010 10:55AM - in reply to markeroon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the input so far.
Yeah, my shoulders and neck have been very sore/tight for the last 7 or 8 years, but in the last little while they've been loosening up as I've been focusing on keep proper posture all the time.
I have been doing a ton of side-lying leg raises for the last 3 months which have strengthened my glutes a lot. But my hips are still very twisted up. During xc I should be able to a see the school PT as much as possible and hopefully that will help.
Once again thanks for the input!
bob d.
RE: Right Hip Rotated Forward 8/12/2010 12:19PM - in reply to needsomehelp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
it could a combination of a lot of things.

On the right side these muscles could be short(tight): rectus abdominis,
external obliques, hamstrings, glutes, piriformis. conversely, on the left side,
these same muscles may be lengthened. so i would strengthen those muscles
on the left and stretch them on the right.

On the left side the tight muscles would probably be the psoas, iliacus, rectus
femoris, tensor fascia latae(tfl), and spinal erectors. stretch them on the left,
strengthen on the right.

when you're doing side-lying exercises for glutes you are also activating the tfl
so really try to focus on the glutes... it is very difficult to activate the glutes
without activating the tfl. your left tfl is likely much bigger than your right.
i would suggest doing clams from a half plank position, where your knees and
forearm are supporting you. there are some others but they are harder to
explain. are you doing the myrtl routine?
markeroon
RE: Right Hip Rotated Forward 8/12/2010 2:10PM - in reply to needsomehelp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

needsomehelp wrote:
Thanks for the input so far.
Yeah, my shoulders and neck have been very sore/tight for the last 7 or 8 years, but in the last little while they've been loosening up as I've been focusing on keep proper posture all the time.

Is your mobility poor in your thoracic spine?
been there,,,
RE: Right Hip Rotated Forward 8/12/2010 3:03PM - in reply to markeroon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Great answers so far...
The psoas stretches have helped me a ton with similar problems, as have doing the L7 (Steepler stretch), and stretching my hip rotators.
I found a lot of info in the below article helpful.
http://www.nationalscholastic.org/trackmedic/article/736/
Just going through this...
RE: Right Hip Rotated Forward 4/14/2012 1:49AM - in reply to needsomehelp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I found the stretches at yogajournal.com very helpful. Click on "practice" then "release your psoas". Ten yoga stretches will be so helpful.

Also helpful is:

Addressing Pelvic Rotation - Myoforce

blog.myoforce.net/articles/addressing-pelvic-rotation-2.html

-exercises to correct pelvic rotation and a very clear extensive description of the problem and syptoms.
voiceofreason
RE: Right Hip Rotated Forward 4/14/2012 9:34PM - in reply to captain no beard Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not all practitioners are alike. There are chiros that work with soft tissue and rehab. But for what it is worth, pelvic misalignemts can happen independently of muscle problems or imbalances. Your adjustment should be taylored to your particular misalignments and fixation. This requires xray and certain chiropractic techniques focus on this. One is Gonstead. Another is SOT (sacrooccipitalbtechnique). Gonstead has 2 good websites (www.gonstead.com and www.gonsteadtechnique.com

captain no beard wrote:

Here is the problem with chiropractors. They realign you or whatever, but they don't fix the underlying problem, which is usually a muscle issue, something of that nature. If that isn't fixed, it will keep coming back. The right thing would be to see a good PT person, who can probably identify the underlying issue and help you fix it.