neural flossing
Anyone familiar with "neural flossing" for piriformis syndrome? 12/18/2009 9:51AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I found this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtUgS69rPk

Don't worry, it's not a rick-roll. The first exercise he shows uses "neural flossing" (start at about 50 seconds). I've never heard of this term, but I found some other information on it "out there." Anyone use this particular exercise and have any luck? Thanks.
neural flossing
RE: Anyone familiar with "neural flossing" for piriformis syndrome? 12/18/2009 11:45AM - in reply to neural flossing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
the verdict
RE: Anyone familiar with "neural flossing" for piriformis syndrome? 12/18/2009 12:02PM - in reply to neural flossing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've heard of it. It worked for me. I had it so bad I couldn't even put pants on while standing up in the morning. I could barely walk. The exercises helped as well as piriformis stretching and strengthening, and a good deal of time off.
Barrenone
RE: Anyone familiar with "neural flossing" for piriformis syndrome? 12/18/2009 12:44PM - in reply to the verdict Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am also reading up on this. I have seen that video and read other articles. I am trying to find out how long it takes to work and how often to "floss". I can feel the pull (and pain) at the same place on both ends of the exercise. I feel a bit better afterwards but it is still there.
theee answer
RE: Anyone familiar with "neural flossing" for piriformis syndrome? 12/18/2009 1:18PM - in reply to neural flossing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Acupuncture. 2 years of pain, and all it took was 1 treatment. Pain free since.
RunningPT12a
RE: Anyone familiar with "neural flossing" for piriformis syndrome? 12/18/2009 4:41PM - in reply to neural flossing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I use flossing techniques often, although what he's demonstrating is technically not a flossing technique but a tensioner technique. The techniques are useful, not a cure- all but definitely help with a subset of patients with certain sciatic symptoms. I usually use a traditional flossing technique that maintains constant tension; the knee extension and ankle dorsiflexion combined with neck extension then the trunk and neck flexion along with knee flexion. Tensioner techniques like the one shown are not as in vogue, this was more of an old school approach used more 10-15 years ago and have to be used with caution as the sciatic nerve doesn't always respond well to such an aggressive technique.
neural flossing
RE: Anyone familiar with "neural flossing" for piriformis syndrome? 12/18/2009 10:33PM - in reply to RunningPT12a Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thank you. Can you, in more layman's terms, describe your "traditional flossing technique that maintains constant tension?" Thanks!