Pages: | 1 | 2 |
The good son
Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 2:52AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know that I can definitely trust letsrun.com on this one.

I'm preparing a slideshow for my mother's 60th birthday.
I'm looking for ideas for the best songs or music to use.

I thought of using Forever Young by Dylan but it's too dramatic and not so cheerful, so I'd probably be the only one enjoying it.
Maybe "All You Need Is Love" (too tacky...).

Help me out.
5 sugars
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 3:40AM - in reply to The good son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
mother of mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYsLufJMGU

Donny Osmond sang this too
a trainer
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 8:22AM - in reply to The good son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Probably anything from the 60s will work, since that would be when she was a teen...I am sure she is a Beatles fan.....they did a birthday song.....and save that one about being 65 for when she is.
perspective
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 8:39AM - in reply to The good son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't stress the age aspect. The last thing most women want to hear at turning 60 is that they are turning 60.

If anything, take the focus off of age. Play upbeat music and dance. Have fun. Put the focus on something that your mother is looking forward to or on things she enjoys or on things that will make her happy. Maybe find a long lost buddy of hers as a surprise guest.
Beatles Fan
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 8:42AM - in reply to The good son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
In my life, by the Beatles. Might be too sad, though.
antichrist superstar
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 9:01AM - in reply to Beatles Fan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Marilyn Manson "The Dope Show"
bastard
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 9:05AM - in reply to antichrist superstar Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
only the good die young
Flagpole Willy
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 9:27AM - in reply to The good son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Songs that a 60 year old woman might like:

What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong (BY FAR my top choice)

Daydream Believer sung either by Ann Murray or The Monkees depending on her likes

Wouldn't It Be Nice by The Beach Boys

A Day In The Life by The Beatles

Higher and Higher by Jackie Wilson

Georgia On My Mind by Ray Charles

Linus & Lucy by Vince Guaraldi

Sitting On The Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding

Good Vibrations by The Beach Boys

Pink Moon by Nick Drake

California Dreamin' by The Mamas and the Papas

Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers

It Was A Very Good Year by Frank Sinatra
LVD
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 9:44AM - in reply to a trainer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

a trainer wrote:

Probably anything from the 60s will work, since that would be when she was a teen...I am sure she is a Beatles fan.....they did a birthday song.....and save that one about being 65 for when she is.

It's 64.
wineturtle
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 10:03AM - in reply to The good son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Duke of Earl -Gene Chandler topped the charts for most of Feb 1962... she was 14 and in her prime .45 record buying years.

A spread of pre Beatles songs from Feb of '62
If you have dates for the photos you might think of doing a few line from a song from that year-That's a LOT of work

Twist-Checker- {or better yet The Alvin Twist!!)Twistin' was BIG - Check out Santo and Johnny's Twistin' Bells and Count Basie's Basie Twist.
Wanderer-Dion
Break it to Me Gently-Brenda Lee
Where have all the Flowers Gone-Kingston Trio
I Know( You Don't Love Me Anymore)- Barbra George
Cryin' in the Rain-Everlys
Let Me In -Sensations
What's Your Name-Don and Juan
Return to Sender -Elvis
Kumbya-Journeymen
Up On The Roof-Drifters
Party Lights-Claudine Clark
She's Got You-Patsey Cline
Johnny Angel-Shelly Fabares
Dream Baby-Roy Orbison
I Remember You(the trill of it all)-Frank Ifield
The Lion Sleeps Tonight was from that year and everyone knows the words.
Camoo
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 10:12AM - in reply to wineturtle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"Long May You Run" by Neil Young
Its all in the game
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 10:31AM - in reply to Camoo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Running Bear - Johnie Preston
Runaway - Del Shannon
Runaround Sue - Dion

What's your ma's name?
Alan Bader
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 10:34AM - in reply to The good son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Have your Dad sing this Beatles classic

When i get older losing my hair,
Many years from now.
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine.
If i'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When i'm sixty-four.
You'll be older too,
And it you say the word,
I could stay with you.
I could be handy, mending a fuse
When your lights have gone.
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride,
Doing the garden, digging the weeds,
Who could ask for more.
When i'm sixty-four.
Every summer we can rent a cottage,
In the isle of wight, if it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera chuck & dave
Send me a postcard, drop me a line,
Stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, wasting away
Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine for evermore
When i'm sixty-four.
bige
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 10:46AM - in reply to Alan Bader Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Mother---Danzig. Sure to be a crowd pleaser.
malmo
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 11:00AM - in reply to wineturtle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

wineturtle wrote:

Duke of Earl -Gene Chandler topped the charts for most of Feb 1962... she was 14 and in her prime .45 record buying years.
14 is a little young for "in her prime" don't you think?

Here's a much more timely and rebellious song from her generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY
Reading is Fundamental
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 11:11AM - in reply to malmo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

wineturtle wrote:

malmo wrote:

14 is a little young for "in her prime" don't you think?

The complete quote was 'she was 14 and in her prime .45 record buying years.'
perspective
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 12:12PM - in reply to malmo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Funny video.

Malmo, you're the best.
Diego Boy
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 12:23PM - in reply to The good son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Play an instrumental to the pics. If you decide to go that way, play So Far to Go by J Dilla. For those who don't know about J Dilla he was the most influental and well respected (hip/hop and NeoSoul) producers. Guy mostly made songs and produced tracks for people who spoke about social awareness. Guy died of Lupus in 2006 and he has a foundation in his name for Lupus research.Take a listen and tell me this aint a killer track. You're mom will love this and it's definitley not a song she's heard before!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zwNGZ7tklQc
skwilli
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 3:21PM - in reply to The good son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Time by Pink Floyd
urban contemporary crappola
RE: Songs to use for 60th birthday slideshow. 2/26/2008 5:37PM - in reply to Diego Boy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Diego Boy wrote:Take a listen and tell me this aint a killer track.

It aint a killer track. Seriously.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |