Lauren
Menstrual like cramps while running 7/18/2007 2:21PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know there are other females out there who suffer from severe menstrual like cramps while running. About 10 minutes into the run I am in severe pain and have to stop. Sometimes I have the urge to run to the restroom. NSAIDS do not help or prevent these cramps. I also do not eat beforehand either. Does anyone have any solutions other than going on birth control pills?
jaguar1
RE: Menstrual like cramps while running 7/18/2007 2:43PM - in reply to Lauren Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Lauren wrote:

I also do not eat beforehand either.

How long before a run are you eating (~maybe low blood sugar)? Are you dehydrated? Do you know if you're lactose intolerant? I had a teammate who got severe cramps during workouts-- turns out she had ovarian cysts. I also had a friend who had a bladder infection with similar complaints. Not to scare you, but if you can't pinpoint it to a dietary or hormonal issue, if could be something that needs to be checked out by a physician.
Is it ...
RE: Menstrual like cramps while running 7/18/2007 2:47PM - in reply to jaguar1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Gas?
onion rings
RE: Menstrual like cramps while running 7/18/2007 2:58PM - in reply to Is it ... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you are not menstruating and you have cramps, get checked for pelvic inflammatory disease or a severe yeast infection.
Real Novice
RE: Menstrual like cramps while running 7/18/2007 3:41PM - in reply to Lauren Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is almost certainly a food or water problem. When I have had cramps like those and I'm not on my period, it was either because I was TOO hungry or because I was dehydrated. Make sure you're not running too far after your last meal, and bump up your water intake. It's summer, and it's probably a lot warmer than when you run during most of the year.

One other possibility if the cramps are a little higher than menstrual cramps: you're not properly warmed up for your run.
whatever man
RE: Menstrual like cramps while running 7/18/2007 3:49PM - in reply to Lauren Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A woman I coach was diagnosed with endometriosis and she had somewhat similar symptoms.
girl who runs
RE: Menstrual like cramps while running 7/18/2007 4:32PM - in reply to Lauren Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Im the same way. There is nothing I can do except to take the pill. If I dont, then I will vomit and be bedridden for two days before Ican run again. damn female anatomy!
Lauren
RE: Menstrual like cramps while running 7/19/2007 9:51PM - in reply to jaguar1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I run early in the morning so my last meal is supper the day before. I usually drink a glass of water before I head out. I also saw my gyno back in January and she said everything was normal. (She didn't help all that much.)
jaguar1
RE: Menstrual like cramps while running 7/20/2007 1:20AM - in reply to Lauren Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ohhhh, that's a major no no with running. After an overnight fast, you have near depleted (or depleted) liver glycogen. Thus, if you run without eating breakfast, your body must rely on other fuel sources (~body fat and body protein such as muscle/bone), which are less efficient energy sources and longterm could be a cause for injury/illness.

Girl, you need to get food in you before you run. Even if it's something small like a banana or fruit bar, you need to get your blood sugar up after an overnight fast. Just water won't cut it.
some girl
RE: Menstrual like cramps while running 7/20/2007 7:33AM - in reply to Lauren Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I tend to get very bad cramps. One thing that helps is to not wait until your cramps/period begin to start taking ibuprofen or aspirin. Ibuprofen inhibits production of prostaglandins. Your body begins producing prostaglandins a few days before your period, and prostaglandins are partly responsible for the cramps. So, if you wait til the cramps start, you're already behind. But if you know when you're going to have your period and start an aspirin or ibuprofen regiment a couple days early, you can lessen the severity of cramps before they start. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better.
mitten
RE: Menstrual like cramps while running 7/20/2007 9:35AM - in reply to jaguar1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I run in the morning and do not eat before because if I do I will get cramps really bad. Is gatorade enough befor a morning run?
Real Novice
RE: Menstrual like cramps while running 7/20/2007 11:40AM - in reply to mitten Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

mitten wrote:

I run in the morning and do not eat before because if I do I will get cramps really bad. Is gatorade enough befor a morning run?

I wouldn't do Gatorade. You may have to experiment a little to find something that doesn't make you cramp. I have a certain kind of Balance bar that I like; one of my friends has a banana and a bit of milk; my brother has a very small bowl of Cheerios. Try some stuff. Something you personally eat frequently and digest easily is key, plus a glass of water.
jaguar1
RE: Menstrual like cramps while running 7/20/2007 1:10PM - in reply to mitten Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah, I agree with the person above. You need to find something that works for you. Carbohydrates are the easiest for the gut to digest, and a little protein (if tolerated) can help prevent your blood sugar from spiking. It doesn't have to be a full breakfast-- something very basic to get the blood sugar up. Are you cramping after eating dairy? If so, you might be lactose intolerant.
Madame Ovary
RE: Menstrual like cramps while running 3/23/2011 7:24AM - in reply to Lauren Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Bump....OP - any updates?