Charlevoix, MI – July 23, 2018 — The 11th running of the Ryan Shay Mile will take place on July 28th at 10:30 AM in Charlevoix, Michigan. This annual event will again be hosting some of the best distance runners from across the country celebrating the legacy of one of Northern Michigan’s own top distance runners Ryan Shay. The Ryan Shay Mile has seen Olympians, national champions, collegiate champions, and many runners with ties to the state of Michigan compete in this elite road mile.
Charlevoix, located in northern Michigan between Lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoix, provides athletes with a unique racing experience as one of the culminating events in the week long Venetian Festival. Finishing on a spectator lined parade route, competitors will be racing for $4000 in prize money ($1000 for first, $500 for second, and $250 for third) provided by Bergmann Marine who has been the primary sponsor since the race’s inception. This year will also introduce a $500 dollar bonus, provided by Joe and Sue Shay, to race winners who break a course record. Current records stand at 3:55 for men set by Jeff See in 2010, and 4:21 for women set by Heather Kampf in 2014.
Three time defending champion Jake Edwards will be back looking to make it four in a row on the men’s side. He has held off good fields before and this year should be just as challenging. Sam Prakel, a 5 time All-American at the University of Oregon, brings strong middle distance credentials as the 2018 PAC-12 800 meter champion, with best times of 3:36 for the 1500 meter and 3:55 for the mile. Competition should also come from three steeplechasers all with the ability to run under four minutes for the mile; Craig Nowak (3:58), Travis Mahoney (3:58) and Mason Ferlic (4:00). Edwards has a best of 3:56 on this mile course so spectators could be seeing several athletes dip under the four minute mark.
In the women’s race two returning champions should set the pace; Nicole Sifuentes (2010) and Shannon Osika (2016). Sifuentes, twice an Olympian for Canada, and Osika, third place at this year’s USATF Indoor Championships in the mile, are training partners with the True Blue Elite group (Ann Arbor, MI). They will be joined by two more members of that training group, Jamie Morrissey, 1500 meter best of 4:11, and Becca Addison with a mile best of 4:30. Returnees Katie Landwehr and Emily Oren, will also add quality depth to the field. Landwehr, runner-up a year ago, pushed Heather Kampf all the way to the finish in 4:31. Oren, based on her fifth place showing at this year’s USATF Outdoor Championships, will be representing the USA in the steeplechase at the NACAC Championships in August.
The Ryan Shay Mile started in the summer of 2008 to honor the memory of Ryan Shay. Ryan passed away on Nov. 3 2007 while competing in the 2008 USA Olympic Marathon Trials in New York City. Ryan was from Central Lake, Michigan about thirty minutes south of Charlevoix. A talented runner, who through hard work and persistence, won championships in high school, in college while at Notre Dame, and in the professional ranks. Ryan was and is a role model for many young people in Northern Michigan and around the country.
Bergmann Marine, located in Charlevoix, Michigan, provides marine sales, service and storage facilities. This family owned and operated business spans three generations and has been providing service to Northern Michigan for more than 25 years.
This event is held as part of Charlevoix’s annual Venetian Festival, and in conjunction with the Drenth Memorial 5k/10k road races on the same Saturday morning. Charlevoix is located in the Northwestern corner of Michigan’s lower peninsula.
Start List – Men:
- Jake Edwards, Columbus Running Company, Ohio State University, 2015 – 2017 Ryan Shay Mile Champion, 1500m 3:41, Mile 3:58.
- Sam Prakel, unattached, University of Oregon, 2018 PAC 1500m Champion, 5 x NCAA All-American, 800m 1:46, 1500m 3:36, Mile 3:55.
- Craig Nowak, ASICS Furman Elite, Oklahoma State University , 1500m 3:39, Mile 3:58, Steeple 8:35.
- Travis Mahoney, Hoka One One/New Jersey New York Track Club, Temple University, 1500m 3:41, Mile 3:58, Steeple 8:25 steeple.
- Mason Ferlic, Nike, University of Michigan, 2016 NCAA Steeple Champion, 1500m 3:42, Road Mile 3:59, Steeple 8:21.
- Jonathan Harper, unattached, Brigham Young University, Member of 2017 BYU 3rd Place NCAA Championship Cross Country team, 4:02 mile.
- Morsi Rayyan, Ann Arbor Running Company, University of Michigan, All-Big Ten, Mile 4:03.
- Zacchaeus Widner, Playmakers, Siena Heights University, NAIA All-American, Mile 4:05.
- Alejandro Garcia, unattached, Robert Morris University, 2 x NAIA All-American, Mile 4:07.
- Ian Hankce, Ann Arbor Running Company, Eastern Michigan University, 1500m: 3:48.
- Jeremy Wilk, Unattached, Grand Valley State University, 2 x NCAA D2 All-American, 800m 1:49, 1500m 3:50, Road Mile 4:09, current distance coach at Northwood University.
- Joe Guerra, Columbus Running Company, 1500 meter national record holder for the country of San Marino, 1500m 3:51.
Start List – Women:
- Nicole Sifuentes, Saucony/True Blue Elite, University of Michigan, Two time Olympian for Canada, 2010 Ryan Shay Mile Champion, 1500m 4:03, Mile 4:27.
- Shannon Osika, Nike/True Blue Elite, University of Michigan, Third place in the mile at the 2018 USATF Indoor Championships, 2016 Ryan Shay Mile Champion, 1500m 4:06, Mile 4:27.
- Katie Landwehr, unattached, Michigan State University, Big Ten Steeple Champion, 2016 Olympic Trials Qualifier, Road Mile 4:31, Steeple 9:37.
- Becca Addison, Saucony/True Blue Elite, University of Michigan, NCAA DMR Champion, 1500m 4:10, Mile 4:30.
- Jamie Morrissey, True Blue Elite, University of Michigan, Two time NCAA All-American, 2018 800m Big Ten Champion, 1500m 4:11, Road Mile 4:35.
- Emily Oren, Oiselle, Hillsdale College, 9 x NCAA D2 Champion, Team USA for 2018 NACAC Championship this August, Mile 4:35, Steeple 9:40.
- Samantha Johnson, Gazelle Elite, Ferris State University, Road Mile 4:38.
- Sarah Reese Bishop, unattached, Auburn University, 2017 Marine Corps Marathon champ, 1500m 4:36.
- Joanna Stephens, Gazelle Elite, 5K 16:38.