July 23: 9th Annual Ryan Shay Mile Sets Defending Winner Jake Edwards Against Mason Ferlic And Liam Boylan-Pett
Ashley Higginson and Rebecca Tracy lead the women’s field.
July 18, 2016
Charlevoix, MI — The 9th annual Ryan Shay Mile will take place in Charlevoix, Michigan on Saturday, July 23 at 10:30 AM. This elite road mile features separate races for men and women. Runners vie for $4000 in prize money ($1000.00 1st place, $500.00 2nd, $250.00 3rd) with the title sponsor being Bergmann Marine. This event continues to provide elite distance runners with a competitive opportunity on the spectator lined streets of downtown Charlevoix in scenic northern Michigan.
In the women’s race there will be new champion for the first time in four years as Heather Kampf will not be defending her title. There will be three athletes that competed in this year’s USA Olympic Track and FIeld Trials, Ashley Higginson, Steeplechase, and Rebecca Tracy and Shannon Osika in the 1500 meters. Returning to the race will be Dot McMahan the winner of the inaugural Shay mile in 2008.
Jake Edwards will be back to defend the 2015 Shay Mile title along with Lex Williams who was the runner up to Edwards. Williams, in the 1500 meters, and Mason Ferlic, in the Steeplechase, competed in this year’s Olympic Trials. Ferlic also won NCAA Steeplechase this year as well. Returning to the Shay Mile is Liam Boylan-Pett who has twice been runner up.
The course record for the men is 3:55 set by Jeff See in 2010, and the women’s course record holder is Heather Kampf at 4:21 in 2014.
The Ryan Shay Mile started in the summer of 2008 to honor the memory of Ryan Shay. Ryan passed away on Nov. 3 2007 while competing in the 2008 USA Olympic Marathon Trials in New York City. Ryan was from Central Lake, Michigan about thirty minutes south of Charlevoix. A talented runner, who through hard work and persistence, won championships in high school, in college while at Notre Dame, and in the professional ranks. Ryan was and is a role model for many young people in Northern Michigan and around the country.
Bergmann Marine, located in Charlevoix, Michigan, provides marine sales, service and storage facilities. This family owned and operated business spans three generations and has been providing service to Northern Michigan for more than twenty five years.
This event is held as part of Charlevoix’s annual Venetian Festival, and in conjunction with the Drenth Memorial 5k/10k road races on the same Saturday morning. Charlevoix is located in the upper northwestern portion of the lower Michigan peninsula.
Start List – Men:
- Jake Edwards, Brooks, Ohio State University, 2015 Ryan Shay Mile Champion, 1500m 3:41, Mile 3:58.
- Liam Boylan-Pett, NJ/NY Track Club, 2 x Ryan Shay Mile runner up, 1500m 3:37, Mile 3:57.
- Lex Williams, Saucony/Very Nice Track Club, University of Michigan, 2016 USA Olympic Track and Field competitor, 2015 Shay Mile runner up, NCAA All-American, Big Ten Champion, 1500m 3:38, Mile 3:59.
- Mason Ferlic, unattached, University of Michigan 2016 NCAA Steeplechase champion, 2016 USA Olympic Trials competitor – Steeplechase, Mile 4:00.
- Daniel Castle, Air Force, Air Force KC-135 pilot, 1500m 3:40.
- Tom Scott, Ashland Elite Track Club, Ashland University, NCAA DII All-American, USATF Championship competitor, 800m 1:47, 1500m 3:45, Mile 3:59.
- Cam Marantz, adidas/Garden State Track Club, Princeton, 1500m 3:49, Mile 4:06.
- Avery Martin, unattached, Virginia Military Institute, Mile 4:05.
- Morsi Rayyan, unattached, University of Michigan, All-Big Ten, Mile 4:03.
- Bennett Prud’Homme, Playmakers Elite, Michigan State, Mile 4:15.
- Zacchaeus Widner, New Balance, Siena Heights, NAIA All-American, Mile 4:10.
- Sean Smith, Skechers, Lewis University, NAIA All-American, 800m 1:49.
- Josh Davis, Ashland Elite Track Club, Ashland University, NCAA DII Track Champion, 800m 1:52, Mile 4:13.
Start List – Women:
- Rebecca Tracy, Oiselle, Notre Dame, 2016 Olympic Trials competitor, NCAA All-American, 1500m 4:09, Mile 4:34.
- Ashley Higginson, Saucony, NJ/NY Track Club, Princeton, 2016 Olympic Trials competitor – Steeplechase, Team USA 2013 World Championships competitor – Steeplechase, 1500m 4:08, Mile 4:28.
- Shannon Osika, unattached, University of Michigan, 2016 Olympic Trials competitor, NCAA All-American, Big Ten 1500 meters champion, 1500m 4:09, Mile 4:34
- Dot McMahan, Hanson-Brooks, 3 x USA Olympic Trials Marathon competitor, 2008 Shay Mile champion, Mile 4:35.
- Brook Handler, Saucony, University of Michigan, 2015 Shay Mile runner up NCAA All-American, 1500m 4:15, Mile 4:33.
- Greta Feldman, NJ/NY Track Club, Princeton, NCAA 1500 All-American, 800m 2:03, 1500m 4:12.