As Salazar sees it, though, Ritzenhein needs to have perfect biomechanics if he is to have a chance at finishing ahead of Gebrselassie and Keflezighi, both of whom train relentlessly and seem to run effortlessly. That fact, he says, is one that Ritzenhein accepts. “When you start changing an athlete’s form, there’s always a risk,” Salazar said, with a shrug. “Dathan knows that. And he’s willing to take that risk, because he doesn’t want to be the guy that’s just trying to get a bronze medal. Not this time. This time, he wants to be the winner.”
From the same article.
Under Hudson, Dathan might have a 99% chance of being healthy, and a 1% chance of being best in the world.
Under Salazar, Dathan might have a 90% chance of being healthy, and a 10% chance of being best in the world.
Those numbers are arbitrary, but you get the idea. Ritz will be the best, or be hurt, and he's OK with that, and as a fan, so am I.