Saturday A Huge Day For College Runners *LRC Preview
West Regional In Eugene, Oregon
Good Reads: *Preview Of West Region aka Toughest Region In The Country
*Article On Oregon And Portland Freshmen Jordan Hasay And Trevor Dunbar
*Oregon And Luke Puskedra Motivated After PAC-10 Beating By Stanford
Mid-Atlantic Regional Maryland Eastern Shore Hosts
*Despite Big 3 Up Front, West Virginia Women Only Ranked 3rd In Tough Mid Atlantic Villanova and Princeton are both national top-5 teams and WVU is no slouch of a team either.
Great Lakes Regional - Indiana University Hosts In Bloomington
*Badger Men's Coach Mick Byrne Confident - Says He Won't Determine Line Up Until Race Day You start getting confident when your program has won 8 straight regional meets.
*Northeast Regional Hosted by Boston U In Franklin Park
*Southeast Regional In Louisville, Kentucky Home of Muhammad Ali and baseball bats.
*South Regional In Tuscaloosa, Alabama
*South Central Hosted By Baylor That's Wac(k)o.
*Mountain Regional Hosted By New Mexico Lobos
*Midwest Regional Missouri St. Hosts In Springfield The Simpsons might be there.
*All NCAA Weekend Results
Non-NCAA USA Races
- Big Sur Half Marathon Website
- Cool Races: Ragnar Relay Series
- SunTrust Richmond Marathon Set To Run Despite Hurricane Rains
- Check Out Nice Preview Of Sunday's Rock and Roll San Antonio Marathon
NCAA Regional Saturday!
LRC 10 Things To Watch On Regional Weekend Employee #1 gets the storylines set for a big day of action Saturday. We'll have all the results and of course all the talk heading into the greatest championships in sport: the NCAA XC Championships on Nov 23 in Terre Haute, Indiana.
LRC Results Of The Pre-Regional LetsRun.com NCAA XC Polls Stanford has almost double Oklahoma State's #1 votes on the men's side, while Washington still dominates the voting on the women's side despite barely beating Oregon at PAC-10s.
Article On Jordan Hasay And Her Positive Effect On Oregon XC Hasay is having a great cross-country season even though coach Vin Lananna says all the focus is ultimately on track.
Underappreciated: WADA Celebrates 10 Years Of Cleaning Up Sports
- USADA Chief Speaks About Doping In Sport On WADA's 10th Anniversary He says drugs in sport are now much more in the hands of "rogue" doctors, scientists and entities instead of national or above-ground programs.
- WADA Has Made A Huge Difference In 10 Years Track and field has gone from the WWE to ... well, something slightly more pure.
- Thank You, WADA: Court Of Arbitration For Sport Bans Turkish 1,500m World Silver Medalist For Life
LRC NCAA D1 Regionals Are This Weekend - Vote In Our Pre-Regional Polls The regional system may be insanely complicated and most of the major coaches might hate it, but let's see if the most informed readers on the planet can figure out which teams should be in and which should be out. *Funny Read: Try To Understand the NCAA At-Large Selection Process Without Giving Yourself A Migraine
IAAF Year-End Award Nominees
- Women Track & Field Athletes Of The Year Nominees Announced Sanya Richards and world-record setter Yelena Isinbayeva lead impressive group.
- Men Track & Field Athletes Of The Year Nominees Announced It's Usain Bolt or Kenenisa Bekele, but Bekele didn't smash any world records, so it shouldn't even be close.
Tuesday's Distance News
Max King Wins USATF Trail Marathon Championship 6 Days After 2:19 In New York Max doesn't give a hoot about running what or how "the man" tells him to ... and we love it. Max King LRC Video Interview After New York City Marathon Blowup
Brief Chat With Most Overlooked US Marathoner Nick Arciniaga While most bonked, Hansons runner Nick Arciniaga PRed by over 2 minutes in finishing in the top 10 in New York. N/A also was the top American finisher in Boston in 2008.
November 22nd - Bad Boy 8k XC Information And Entry Contacts Always a fun race ...
Asian Track Championships Coming Up - Liu Xiang Headlines Asia - where track season never ends.
Athens Marathon Classic Made Even Tougher By Steady Downpour *LRC As Always, Beautiful Photos From PhotoRun One of track's best writers, Pat Butcher, was on the scene and writes an informative recap of one of the toughest major marathons. 23-year-old Kenyan Josephat Kipkirui Ngetich won in a stellar 2:13:44 given the hilliness and the rain, while Japanese Akemi Ozaki, 32, won in 2:39:56. Ozaki is coached by the same coach (a woman, to boot) as the unfortunate Yuri Kano, who fell in New York last weekend, so a nice consolation for their training group.
Fernando Cabada Talks After Stockade-athon Win In Schenectady Boulder, CO's Fernando Cabada ran a solid 46:35 on the tough Stockade-athon course in Schenectady, NY, where former American marathon record holder Jerry Lawson holds the course record of 44:39. Cabada ran smoothly in his first race back from injury, but the man who got the biggest rise from the local crowd was 78-year-old Ed Whitlock of Canada (the best 70+ male runner of all-time?), who again produced an age-graded whopper time with a 1:06:12 (7:14 pace). *Results *Thread
XC Returns In Europe And Kenya
*Cross-Country All Stars Clash In Spain With Dibaba Sister And World XC Champ Gebremariam Winning Not a big race to American fans, but the players were heavyweights.
*Kenyan Cross-Country Season Kicks Off & Locals Take Wins
Final Entry Of The Exclusive LetsRun.com Series
LRC American High School Student Travels To Addis And Trains With The Ethiopians - Entry #9 - Addis Ababa University In this the final episode, Neb does a track workout on one of the three tracks in Addis.
- 1 Megagram Of Salt Thaws Course For Nordic Cross-Country Championships Norway took the men's and Sweden took the women's meet held in snowy, cold Finland.
- Profile Of Australia's Best Woman Marathoner, Lisa Weightman
- World Cross-Country Will Be In Poland - An Opportunity To Learn About Polish Distance Running History
5,000 Beijing Olympic Condoms Left Over By Athletes To Be Auctioned To One Buyer 100,000 were made for the athletes in the Olympic village. You do the math.
- The Onion: Meb Tests Positive For Performance-Enhancing Horse (Satire) Totally worth a click just for the photo.
- Science Of Sport Studies Whether Marathon Times Are Improving At Major Marathons The flat, rabbited courses keep getting faster times, but the hilly courses aren't seeing much improvement over the last 30 years.
- Article On Derartu Tulu's Road Back To Top Form
- Times London: We Should Support Radcliffe Rather Than Tear Her Down There's a great idea!
Recommended Read: Chris Lukezic On Frustrating 2008 and 2009 And Why He Announced Retirement At Age 25 Chris Lukezic, who ran 3:33 as a 22 y/o, talked with Runner's World's Peter Gambaccini and spelled out why his last couple years of total dedication to running have been frustrating. He also talks about his new business called AirBnB, which sounds like it could be a big thing for travelers.
Fan Voting Now Open For Bowerman Award - Best NCAA Track & Field Athlete Of 2009 Ashton Eaton, Galen Rupp and German Fernandez are your men's options while Porscha Lucas, Destinee Hooker and Jenny Barringer are the female triumvirate.
News From Literally Around The World *New Slogan? LetsRun.com - Where Your Kid Can Come To Learn Geography
Australia Aussie Ryan Gregson Hopes To Lower His 7:57 3,000m Best Today Coincidence that Gregson and German Fernandez race on the same day? No way.
Jamaica Big-Time Jamaican Sprint Coach Steve Francis Says Jamaica Loves To Take Athletes' Tax Dollars But Doesn't Give Back To The Stars Steve Francis: officially the most popular coach in Jamaica now.
Canada "Is The Deer Ok?" - Emma Ashby, A Cross-Country Runner, After Breaking Her Collarbone Getting Hit By A Deer In A Race Hunters, please get revenge for little Emma.
The Netherlands Married Tirunesh Dibaba And Sileshi Sihine Set To Race In The Netherlands Both Dibaba and Sihine, the fastest couple on the planet, were injured for many of the big races this summer.
China Liu Xiang Wows Crowd With Rain-Slowed 13.50 Hurdles Win In Asian Championships It has been a tough stretch for the Chinese, with both Yao Ming and Liu Xiang injured. Good to see one of them is back.
South Africa Semenya: "I'm Supposed To Be Famous But I Don't Think I Like It So Much." Throughout this whole ordeal, Semenya has given the most endearing quotes.
Professional Races This Weekend
- Catherine Ndereba To Star In Yokohama Women's Marathon Sunday Catherine The Great will be joined by fellow veteran Constantina Dita, who has not run well since winning the 2008 Olympic Marathon gold medal. Ndereba says she plans on trying to win the 2012 Olympic Games at age 40. With the state of women's marathoning these days, she just might.
- Banned EPO Cheat And Liar Liza Hunter-Galvan Upset Not To Be Able To Race In San Antonio Rock 'n' Roll Marathon This Weekend Former San Antonio sweetheart given extensive profile on mysanantonio.com.
- Usain Bolt Will Target Seven Diamond League Meets In 2010
- Max King USATF Athlete Of The Week King ran the NYC Marathon and USA Trail Marathon championships 6 days apart. He blew up in one and won the other.
LRC: The Week That Was Last week was one which, in terms of actual running action, maybe should have been thought of as "The Week That Wasn't." As a result, we analyze the 2009 ING New York
City marathon some more for you and take a look at the biggest blowups and best-paced performances by Americans. We also let others who are way better writers than we are give you insight into New York. Along the way, we enjoy piling on Athletics South Africa, tell you how to qualify for USA's in October and name Chad Hampton as our Performer of the Week.
LRC: Like An Airline: A Behind-The-Scenes Look Into What It Takes To Set An Elite Marathon Field We try to tell you how an elite marathon field gets set. Check out this great quote from ING NYC Marathon elite athlete coordinator David Monti: "A marathon is like an airline - it sells more spots on a plane than are seats. If you do it right, get lucky, the plane is exactly full when it takes off."
Women In Running
- Interesting Read: Shannon Rowbury Writes In Huffington Post About Winning Medal At Worlds Shannon Rowbury talks about how a series of negative events preceded her unusual medal-winning performance. She also mentions how life post-medal is simply not that much different.
- Brief Chat With Team XC National Champ Katie Follett Of Washington
- Former World Record Holder Tegla Loroupe Holding Race For Peace In Kenya Sammy Wanjiru, Paul Tergat, the Crown Prince of Morrocco and other big names are supporting Tegla Loroupe's efforts to promote peace between warring people in Kenya.
Non-Running Sports News
- Michael Phelps Can't Even Make The Finals Wearing Old Style Suit Michael Phelps is admittedly out of shape, but it shows how much influence the new hi-tech suits that will be banned starting in 2010 have when the most dominant swimmer in history can't make the final without the technology.
- Jamaican Bobsledders Still Battling For Olympic Spots According to the article they asked Usain Bolt to give it a try and help them out but he declined.
Update On The New Facilities Built Among Original Foundation Of Historic Franklin Field In Philadelphia Franklin Field hosts America's most famous track meet, Penn Relays.
Sprint News And Other Insanity
*Sanya Richards Says Usain Bolt Helped Her Relax And Run Faster In Pressurized Moments
*Antigua's Daniel Bailey Looking To Follow Up Big Year Daniel Bailey trains with superman Usain Bolt and super-coach Glen Mills.
British Athletes Urged To Learn From Military Experience
100% Guaranteed To Generate Hate Mail:
2004 Greek Gods Of Sprint Turned Drug Cheats Have Trials Postponed Again The trial was postponed for the 5th time until September of 2010. How hard is it to say: "You're out of the sport"? Oh, this is the same country that allows their drug cheats to carry the Olympic torch (not that America hasn't forgiven and forgotten its share of cheats).
Conference XC Champs Speak
- Brief Chat With Princeton's 3-Time Heps XC Champ Liz Costello Princeton finished 5th at NCAAs last year and could make the podium this year. They scored 15 points at Heps.
- Flotrack Talks With Binghamton 4:01 Miler (And Conference XC Champ) Junior Erik Van Ingen I Heart NY: Binghamton (America East), Syracuse (Big East), Columbia (Heps) and Iona (MAAC) all won D1 team XC conference championships in '09.
Hot Marathon News
- New L.A. Marathon Point-To-Point Video Via YouTube LA's course is now described as "Stadium to the sea," as it runs from Dodger Stadium to the Pacific. Just pray there's not a headwind.
- Josh Cox Running Rock 'n' Roll San Antonio Marathon
- Ryan Hall Writes About The Marathon Stanford did a good job teaching Hall how to write.
Sh*t H*ts The Fan For Athletics South Africa
Athletics South Africa Suspended By Powerful SA Olympic Committee This is like Doug Logan and USATF getting removed by the USOC.
Pile ON! Elite Athletes Slam ASA And we mean SLAM.
Korruption Karma - ASA Has Electricity Cut And Owes Millions ASA are deep in the hole after years of cheating, lying and treating their athletes like sh*t ... not too many will be shedding tears over this one.
Long Profile Of Brown Grad And Mainer Anna Willard Distance fans hate to go more than 24 hours without reading a long, glowing piece about a current or former running star, so don't worry - we have your fix right here.
Take It Easy, Usain
- Bolt Pushes His Training Back A Bit To Accomodate Off-The-Track Obligations
- Stephen Francis Not Interested In Coaching Jamaican Team - Content With His MVP Sprint Group Interesting quote from Francis, where he says he'd rather see his Bahamian or T&T athletes beat Jamaican athletes he doesn't coach. Sounds like a good decision not to coach the national team!
Flotrack's Terre Haute Pre Nats Hi-lite Reel
Usain Bolt Arrives, Dances Like A Masai Warrior In Kenya
Meb On Letterman
NYC Stats Of The Day
13: Number Of NYC Marathons American Men Won In A Row Starting With The First One
7: Number Of NYC Marathons American Women Won In A Row Starting With The 2nd One
0 1: Number Of NYC Marathons American Men Or Women Have Won Since
1: Number of Men Who Appeared on the LetsRun.com NYC Marathon Preview Show
1: Number of Men On the Show Who Won the 2009 ING NYC Marathon (listen to Meb talk about his chances here)
Meb On The Win
Meb Entering Columbus Circle
Latest Relevant Links
New LRC Readers' Book Reviews
From Last To First, A Race Like No Other, And See Dane Run From Last To First is the autobiography on English marathon record holder Charlie Spedding, A Race Like No Other is NY Times Writer Liz Robbins' take on the NYC Marathon, and See Dane Run recounts a guy who ran a marathon a week for a year.
Latest Photo Albums From PhotoRun.net
- LRC: Photos From The Venice Marathon
- LRC Photos From Franklin Park Mayor's Cup
- LRC Marathon Photo Sequence Of The Year Tom Bedford wins a bet and cartwheels across the finish mat.
- LRC Updated Photos - Awesome Indoor Finish Fotos from Frankfurt.
- LRC: World Half Marathon Photos