annoyed runner
Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 2/26/2013 6:34PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hi, I have recently been experiencing moderate sharp pain ON the medial side(inner) knee cap, of my right knee. It only hurts in one specific small spot, which is just big enough for me to put the tip of my finger on it. I'd say the point of pain is right in the middle, and is not upper or lower on the knee cap. The pain occurs when i'm running, and slowly increases in intensity. Sometimes it takes 35 mins to occur, and sometimes 10. The pain is sharp, and feels very restricting, but it is very possible to run through (although difficult). It doesn't seem to respond to ice very well, as even after 25 mins of icing it still hurts if I press on it. In addition, even after a run where it doesn't hurt, it usually will always hurt in the same spot when I press on it. It's very dull if I press on it while my legs are straight, but sharp if the knee is bent. The pain when I press on it doesn't lessen or decrease really after a day, but starts to go away after a few days or rest. Finally, it feels like I can move something back and forth on the exact spot that is painful. I'm worried I have a bone chip or piece of cartilage loose that is causing the pain. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
yeah idk
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 2/26/2013 7:17PM - in reply to annoyed runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sounds serious, maybe you should go to the doctor?
student
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 2/26/2013 9:43PM - in reply to annoyed runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Does the tendon above or below it ellicit pain if you press into it? Can you move your patella side to side and tilt it without reproducing pain? Is there noticeable swelling?
justquestioning
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 2/26/2013 9:48PM - in reply to student Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Does it feel like it gets more or less tight after ice? Does it trigger when loading your stride (leg flexed backwards). If so, it could be a possible ligament strain, cause by doing too much too soon. I am dealing with this now. My sypmtoms are that it is more painful the harder I run. It normally loosens up a good bit after activity. I heat before, foamrolling the IT band really helps. The recovery process for this injury is long unfortunately. I believe Centro dealt with something similar to this last year.
Peace Out
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 2/26/2013 10:05PM - in reply to annoyed runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sounds like Runner's Knee which is what I have, although one thing I've learned about knee injuries is that there are many different causes, most of them having nothing to do with the knee itself. Running injuries SUCK and you might feel better getting a PT to check it out, just to get a plan to re-hab.
Nick Duran
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 2/26/2013 10:10PM - in reply to annoyed runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had this a couple of days ago, it's from overuse and one of your tendons is too tight, rotate the foot of the aching knee counter clockwise for a couple of minutes, works like magic!!!
yeah idk
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 2/26/2013 10:16PM - in reply to student Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No pain in the tendon above or below. I can move the patella from side to side easily and tilt it up and down without out pain.
Annoyed runner
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 2/26/2013 10:23PM - in reply to justquestioning Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The knee in general feels tighter after icing,and yeah I'd say the pain is the worst while running when my leg is flexed backwards. Also at what degree should I rotate the foot? And there is no pain in any of the tendons and I have full range of movement and no pain with the patella cap. Finally there is no swelling.
jusTwondering
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 2/27/2013 1:31AM - in reply to annoyed runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Does it hurt when your just running or all the time like when your walking around and sitting like a movie theater?
ugagain
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 2/27/2013 2:27PM - in reply to Annoyed runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am experiencing the same thing and have all the exact same symptoms. Interested in what other people think this might be also.
oiuo
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 2/27/2013 3:52PM - in reply to annoyed runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Going through something similar right now minus being able to move something back and forth. Pain on the very left top of kneecap...about the size of a quarter. At first, I thought I'd bruised my kneecap, but it just kept hurting (that was a month and a half ago). Tried all the normal remedies - ice, rest, ibuprofen, etc. Bought a knee band and that has seemed to help when I run, but the pain is still there.
annoyed runner
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 2/27/2013 6:09PM - in reply to jusTwondering Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No it doesn't really hurt when i'm just walking around, but it does hurt to bend the knee around 5-10 minutes after a run, but just normal walking and sitting- no.
Ithoughtso
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 2/27/2013 7:15PM - in reply to annoyed runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'd say stop trying to run through it and take a few days- weeks off untill the pain is gone all the way.
lkjklj
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 3/1/2013 3:52PM - in reply to Ithoughtso Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
jkrunner2015
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 3/1/2013 4:04PM - in reply to annoyed runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, this has happened to me. Awful right? just stretch out that area really long, ice at times will work but never worked for me. just take 1-3 days off and you'll be back. This usually occurs due to maybe not have trained in a while then getting right back to it like what i did. Just take mine and others around you and on the blog
oiuo
RE: Sharp knee pain ON knee cap-- help please 3/4/2013 12:01PM - in reply to jkrunner2015 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Since first noticing the injury back in December I've probably ran only 10 times with the longest run only 7 miles. Right now I'm at almost 2-weeks no running and I can still feel it, so 1-3 days off isn't cutting it. In fact after I first felt it come on I took a solid week off and it started right back up.

Really can't believe it's lasted this long as it seems like the most inane injury I've ever had. Absolutely nothing seems to work. I've tried every remedy. I guess it's off to the doctor and he'll prescribe more time off (which I already knew).