Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Justin91
Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/14/2013 11:50PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The short version: machete order means watching the first two episodes of the original trilogy. Then, after Darth Vadar drops his bombshell on Luke, watching episodes II and III or the prequels. This explains the back story - how Vadar came to be Luke's father. Then it follows that up with the final episode of the original trilogy, which is the conclusion of Luke's hero journey. Episode I is skipped on the grounds that it sucks, and that it is superfluous.

The main argument for machete order is that no one cars about the characters in the original trilogy. People do care about Luke. So treat the original trilogy for what it should be: Vadar's back story.

http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html
R2D2C3PO
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/15/2013 12:13AM - in reply to Justin91 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You must be a big fan to not know how to spell Vader. I don't think the order should be your priority right now.
Larry David
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/15/2013 12:42AM - in reply to Justin91 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Justin91 wrote:

http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html

My god, that is brilliant! I've been trying to figure out the best way to show the films to my girlfriend for the first time and I might just be sold! Episode 1 is definitely my least favorite of the six, but I never truly considered just how irrelevant it is to the larger saga.
Larry David
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/15/2013 12:48AM - in reply to Larry David Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Oh, and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbV5hn_ET0U is simply incredible. Really makes me want to have kids.
Yesley
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/15/2013 8:43AM - in reply to Larry David Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Larry David wrote:

Oh, and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbV5hn_ET0U is simply incredible. Really makes me want to have kids.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing!
split pea soup fog
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/15/2013 8:49AM - in reply to Justin91 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Justin91 wrote:

Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order?

No. Boys in particular should not be exposed to violent images lest they grow up to become violent, angry youth.
korean doodie
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/15/2013 1:27PM - in reply to Justin91 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I wouldn't even introduce him to the prequels.
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/15/2013 3:32PM - in reply to Justin91 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Gotta have Darth Maul if you show any prequals, so ep I is back in.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3PPTmvvzTg0/TOdiSqJJ4EI/AAAAAAAABFQ/6O4s-2vLkno/s1600/amaul2.jpg
Canova>God
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/15/2013 5:12PM - in reply to Justin91 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You have to leave in episode I. I think it may not be very eventful but it is important to Anakin developing his relationship with Padme and showing where his fear of loss comes from. Episode I sets up the story line. It explains the prophecy and the Jedi order. Episode I is good at showing what the galaxy was like just before the Sith returned.

I like them in the order of I II III IV V VI VII. The movie flows better that way and the viewer can see the changes in the Galaxy and the journey that is Anakin's life. The movies are about the life of the chosen one. It seems like the guy that cam up with this just has some nostalgia about the original series.
gimme a freakin break
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/15/2013 5:26PM - in reply to Yesley Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Yesley wrote:

Larry David wrote:

Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

YEAH! Totally awesome. My favorite part of this setup is where the one kid looks over and is signalled to react, rather than just naturally reacting. The girl made much better use of her peripherals.

In any case FAKE!!!
Justin91
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/15/2013 10:14PM - in reply to gimme a freakin break Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

gimme a freakin break wrote:

YEAH! Totally awesome. My favorite part of this setup is where the one kid looks over and is signalled to react, rather than just naturally reacting. The girl made much better use of her peripherals.

In any case FAKE!!!

You can also tell it's a fake because the sound is dubbed. Vader never actually says "Luke, I am your father" in this youtube clip.
yikesman
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/15/2013 11:10PM - in reply to Justin91 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
if you're really asking me, I don't think you should show him star wars at all.
Larry David
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/17/2013 11:54AM - in reply to Justin91 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Justin91 wrote:

In any case FAKE!!!

You can also tell it's a fake because the sound is dubbed. Vader never actually says "Luke, I am your father" in this youtube clip.

Maybe because that's not the line, moron.
Justin91
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/17/2013 12:32PM - in reply to Larry David Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Larry David wrote:

Justin91 wrote:

In any case FAKE!!!

Maybe because that's not the line, moron.

Got ya! ;)
The what now
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/17/2013 12:43PM - in reply to Canova>God Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Epiosode VII?
med school professor
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/17/2013 12:53PM - in reply to Justin91 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The more I read of this, the more I like it. I have already shown my kids all 6 of the movies, in order of release. I refused to watch Episode I with them because of what a piece of garbage the film is. And Jar-Jar of course. I honestly don't like Episode II either, because I think Hayden Christiansen is terrible actor. My kids are kind of young, so they only remember characters, not so much the plot. So, I think when we watch through it again, which is something I was already considering before seeing this post, I will do it in Machete order. I'd like to watch the movies like that just to see the story unfold in that manner.
cats & dogs
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/17/2013 12:56PM - in reply to Justin91 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
She did make pretty good use of her peripherals. Wanted to leave a cute inspirational quotation on the door next to the other note, but I thought, probably not such a good idea.
NJ Possible
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/17/2013 1:17PM - in reply to Justin91 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I introduced the films to my son when he was 4 in chronological order: ep 1,2,3,4,5,6. I dislike the first 3 as much as anyone but given his young age I wanted him to have the best chance to understand the whole series and thought this would be it. The thing to note is that regardless of the order, kids are going to have a fav film, and his favorites by far are eps 4 and 5 (tear brought to eye). I think that's pretty cool. I didn't lend any bias at all other than probably smiling when he said that Empire was his favorite. The light saber battles from the 70s are just so much easier to follow, so much more emotion, and so much more seemingly at stake. He probably saw the two yoda battles (dooku and palpatine) a couple times each and has never he mentioned them since. but he calls out ob-wan-vader or vader-luke all the time. The one thing he loves from eps 1,2,3 is the ob-wan-grevious battle, which frankly is hard to argue with for a kid. even the snow scene from empire is great for a 4 yr old.
NJ Possible
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/17/2013 1:21PM - in reply to med school professor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

med school professor wrote:

Hayden Christiansen is terrible actor...

He's not good, but he's not as terrible as the dialogue he's reading. "You've grown too. More beautiful I mean."
asdfads
RE: Should I introduce my son to Star Wars in Machete Order? 1/17/2013 3:34PM - in reply to Justin91 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't show your son the prequel trilogy at all. Only show him the original unaltered trilogy (New Hope, Empire, Return)
Pages: | 1 | 2 |